Subject: Uphill Battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Germans have four Concealment markers, but there is only one hex of Concealment terrain in their setup area. In the original scenario it was suggested that the Germans could use the starting initiative to move Concealed squads into the woods on map 10A, but this tactic has been largely negated by the Next Wave change which gives the Americans the starting initiative.

So apart from the one hex, the only thing you can do with the Concealment markers is place them behind the ridge to protect your reserve squads from straying artillery. Or am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm i see no issue you can put the concealed markers almost anywhere in the German set up zone and until the Americans have los they stay concealed. it just means you have to plan where they are and make sure to consider how far the American halftracks can reach and then to use it to your advantage
during setup. i used the backside of the hills in the german set up area and as the American player advances it gives me an idea of how and when i will have to use them i think in one game i had one squad concealed until round 3

bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note that concealed markers may be put beneath units in non-cover providing terrain. This just doesn't hapen very often, because as soon as los is established in such a case, they are immediately revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
beresford wrote:
The Germans have four Concealment markers, but there is only one hex of Concealment terrain in their setup area. In the original scenario it was suggested that the Germans could use the starting initiative to move Concealed squads into the woods on map 10A, but this tactic has been largely negated by the Next Wave change which gives the Americans the starting initiative.

So apart from the one hex, the only thing you can do with the Concealment markers is place them behind the ridge to protect your reserve squads from straying artillery. Or am I missing something?

That’s a good question as there does seem to be only one good hex available. It’s an interesting scenario that I played once as the Americans and got beat. I was getting close to the pillbox, but was slowed by the late arriving Panzer IV and it’s supporting infantry, and so ran out of time.

In any case, from my own ill-fated experience, one plan is the Germans could locate three of their four concealed squads in the woods hex between 5B and 10A and place them in Op Fire. Also, the clear road hex immediately to the NE of that hex is difficult to spot for the Americans and might work initially for the fourth concealed squad.

The two clear hexes between that woods hex and the forest on the North side of the map are not that easy to get LOS on either, due to the scattered intervening hills and woods. So some of the concealed Germans could possibly make a quick dash for the forest should the opportunity present itself. If the American halftracks decide to jump out far and early to gain LOS on that area, they risk being hit by the two waiting enemy mortar teams and three anti-tank squads.

The Americans need to keep driving toward the objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here’s my ever-evolving theory on concealed squads and their utility in Uphill Battle, so take it for what it’s worth. :-)

A concealed squad in TOI, as I see it, makes for a great way to ambush enemy units that, due to their mission, have little choice but to approach the hidden squad as they’re lying in wait. Hidden squads don’t really shine firing long range or, generally, early on. For the most part, woods, building and rough terrain tend to work better than hills because they don’t get in the way of the unseen squad’s line of fire. Though a hill or two can, at times, be quite effective.

Below is a picture of the field that Uphill Battle is fought over. I placed a German squad in each of three hexes I think are strong contenders for a concealed squad at the start. This presumes the Americans move first.

But first, a word on the hexes I don’t think work as well.

The hexes behind the pillbox ridge really take any concealed squad out of the fight, as I see it. And the defending mortar teams should be firing from the get go.

The hexes at the foot of the pillbox ridge across most of the map are observed by the American squad that’s moved onto the level 2 hill (at the bottom of the pic), and so would not be effective. Noteworthy, is the M4 Sherman on the level 1 hill can hit the pillbox with normal fire (range 5 + 3 concussive range). But no concussive firepower.

Since the pillbox itself affords great cover and an excellent field of view, it more or less recommends itself for a machinegun crew.

The two entrenchments on the pillbox ridge are probably best suited for early long range Op Firing at anything that moves, out to a range of 10-12—in nearly every direction.

Now for the three locations I think are more favorable.

The German entrenchment on the small hill in front of the American right preserves concealment. It has a good field of fire and is fronted by razor wire to slow assaults. A drawback is it might better be used by a squad that fires very early. Plus, the Americans are not compelled to advance up their right flank.

The clear/road hex (behind and left of the woods hex) is another one reasonably suited for a concealed squad. The attackers could gain LOS on that position during initial actions, but only if they go out of their way. A downside, though, is the squad probably will need to scurry undetected into the forest to their front to stay concealed for any length of time.

The woods hex is the only one I’d consider very good for a concealed squad (or two or three), because it’s located on the way to, and in the vicinity of, the German pillbox—the American objective. So perhaps a concealed anti-tank squad should lie low there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
RomanLegions wrote:

The woods hex is the only one I’d consider very good for a concealed squad (or two or three), because it’s located on the way to, and in the vicinity of, the German pillbox—the American objective. So perhaps a concealed anti-tank squad should lie low there.

Agree that the woods is the only valdid option, atleast if you want to use the concealment for anything. You should move into the woods before a US unit can establish LOS to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, although, as the original poster pointed out, the situation was markedly different when the Germans moved first. As such, several of the hexes at the foot of the pillbox ridge were suitable for set up.

And the adjacent rough hex behind and left of the forward German entrenchment made for a nice little ambush hex, as Germans could move there undetected before the Americans got underway. The same could be said for the hills in the middle of the map. And that aforementioned rough hex can cover the entrenchment and has a nice view and access to the middle of the map.

On the whole, I like the Next Wave version of this scenario better than the original. But I think something appealing was lost with the Germans no longer having Round 1 initiative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.