M80» Forums » Reviews

Subject: First play (4 players) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Vorster
Taiwan
Zhubei City
flag msg tools
I backed the Kickstarter for M80 back in February and was pleased to finally get my copy this month.

It came in a nice little box that that I just carried in my shoulder bag so we played a quick few rounds while sitting outside one night.

Gave the rules a few reads and was ready to try it out. The game is quite simple to learn and the rule cards do a fairly good job of explaining it.

You are dealt a hand of cards depicting different fireworks (or things they can be lit with) each with a point value. The object of the game is to end with the most points from the cards left in your hand and/or those placed in front of you (from lighting a Dud).

Players start with their hand of fireworks and/or matches and lighter cards face up in the palm of your hand so only the top card is visible to the rest of the players. Then, in turn each player may either play a card from anywhere in their hand or draw one from the deck and play it by revealing the card and naming a target (which can also include yourself). If a match or lighter is played on a firework the firework it lit and the effect of the card that was lit will be resolved. Once the last card is drawn from the draw deck the game ends and the players tally their points.

M80 is a fun little micro game that immediately caused some laughter at the table. After a few rules were sorted out we played a couple of rounds and then decided to try play in teams, which turned out to be even more fun. It's simple, colorful and easily understood. Not sure if it will have lasting appeal, but at least for the games we played we had a great time and I'll definitely bring it out from time to time between longer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.