The Man
msg tools
Can we focus on this-what of Downwood Tales boosts the base game or Heart of GlorM, when playing those stories?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
+ Three new Hero characters: Ansel, Jakobe, and Ditty
+ A whole bunch of new abilities for all characters.
+ Tons of new search cards (weapons/items/etc.)
+ A whole new set of Encounter cards, and miniatures to go with them.

All of the above could be used in the base game or Glorm without any rule problems. The story lines wouldn't fit as well, but if you've already played through at least once or you don't care that some of the characters and enemies aren't introduced until much later, it's a complete non-issue.

The only things from Downwood you can't really use are the new boards, the tree overlay, and a bunch of the story and character tokens, although you could probably still make some of the boards work in the chapters with random setups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything Kyle said.

Keep in mind though that while all of those things are backwards compatible rules-wise, they were not explicitly designed to be balanced in that regard.
So you might end up with some things being way too good (or perhaps not very good) when used in an earlier story.
(I haven't actually tried this myself, mind, but I think that Ansel for instance would be pretty strong in the base game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1: New characters.
2: A new location allowing shopping and hiring help.
3: Some new tricks for characters.

Otherwise mostly it is the other way around just about. The core game is needed for, and boosts the expansion. Which is how many expansions work for board games.

But really the whole thing extends the core game vastly. A whole new story with totally new friends and foes, new powers and new environs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
I don't have the expansion. What can be safely used, also with respect to storylines and narratives, not just game mechanics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
I don't have the expansion. What can be safely used, also with respect to storylines and narratives, not just game mechanics?
Almost all of the new search cards would be fine. Just leave out the starting weapons for the expansion characters and the handful of story items that the expansion rulebooks tell you to remove before starting.

Most of the new abilities could be used too, minus the ones that can only be used by the expansion characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to Kyle's second excellent reply:

If you are going to use all the new abilities, keep in mind that you do want to keep a few available for the expansion mice (for by the time you get to play Downwood Tales itself).

After a certian point, extra abilities stop adding that much to the mouse anyway (you can only use one per turn/initiative). So you don't want your base game mice to collect all the abilities, leaving little to spare for later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:

Aside from the characters and abilities, maybee items and such.

Nothing of the story falls back into the original. That is the point. This is a progressive story. Much like the adventure packs for HeroQuest. They added new adventures, occasionally a new tile.

This is moreso the situation with Downwood.

You need the core to play Downwood. But downwood itself is a self contained continuation. It does not really boost the core game signifigantly as the new characters and foes are meant for Downwood and have no mention at all in the core.

Storyline and and narrative move forward, not backwards.

Sorrow => Glorm => Downwood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
2: A new location allowing shopping and hiring help.

The game allows for shopping? Ooh, I guess I've found a way to get my wife interested.

laugh

In another thread someone suggested making up your own mousey stories and allthough I take from this that you should be carefull, with backtracking from expansions, I reckon all could be used to create some exciting new adventures.

I understand some fan made adventures come in the box? or is there some place we can go to enjoy the challenges dreamt up by others.

This game tickles my fantasy and I feel like it might be great fun to make up your own chapters.
Or maybe that's easier said than done.

I wonder if the designer considered artistic gamers when he created this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. It is true. Add a dress shop to a game and you can get anyone to play... er... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.