Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Side Missions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian LeClaire
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm totally confused about how building the side mission deck and choosing side missions works. I don't understand it at all, anyone care to explain for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not too complicated, especially with just the core set. The side mission deck consists of 3 types of missions, denoted by their color: Red for hero missions, Green for ally missions and Gray for generic missions. In the current campaign, the number of cards is as follows:
- 1 Red Mission card for each hero (their specific mission card).
- 4 Green Mission cards of the heroes' choice
- 4 Gray Missions cards chosen randomly

That constitutes the side mission deck. You don't get to choose the Red or Gray mission cards, they're chosen for you (based on heroes and random selection). The Green ones correlate to allies, so figure out which allies you want to see in the campaign and pick their quests.

Now, how they play in a campaign, at the beginning of the campaign, reveal the top 2 Side Mission cards. These are "available side missions", used during the campaign. Next, look at the campaign tracking sheet, at the back of the campaign booklet. Whenever you complete a mission, that sheet tells you what type of mission to play next, usually either a Side Mission or a Story Mission. When it's a Side Mission, you pick from the available side missions. Remember those 2 cards you drew at the beginning of the campaign? Those are the missions you can choose from. After you complete a side mission, draw another one from the deck, so you always have a minimum of 2 Available Side Missions.

The Imperial Player can inject side missions too from his Agenda Deck. Basically, after a mission during the Imperial Upgrade Phase, he can spend Influence to place a side mission as one of the available missions. The Rebel Players still get to choose which mission to play, however many times if they don't pick the Imp's side mission, he gains the rewards of that mission for free.

Any questions?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should note, one reason it's not complicated with the core set, you pretty much only have 4 Gray and 4 Green side missions. Your Side Mission deck is almost all the side mission cards in the box. Not much to choose from. Once you start adding in Expansion Packs and the upcoming box Expansions, there should be a lot more side missions to choose from.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inidentally, have you read the appropriate sections of the Rules Reference Guide or are you trying to get the info from the Learn to Play Guide? The LtP is not adequate to learn the rules properly.

When reading the info on missions in the RRG, remember the following terminology and it should all make sense and work in the way that shnar clarified:

Active Missions: These are missions that are available to be chosen next. Once a mission becomes Active, it remains Active until it is either performed (as in you do that mission), or in some special cases with Imperial Side Missions, when it is discarded.

Side/Story Missions: Know the difference between these. The campaign log tells you which you need to do next. With Story Missions, you'll always do the one you made Active in the previous Story Mission (or Aftermath). With Side Missions, the Rebels always have two or more Active Missions to choose from (only having more than two if the Imperial put some of his into play).

Please ask specific questions if any of our posts are confusing or there is a particular paragraph of the RRG you aren't understanding. It will be much easier for us to fill in the gaps in your knowledge that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:
with the core set, you pretty much only have 4 Gray and 4 Green side missions.

There are 5 grey Side missions in the core set, so this is the only way to "customize". You just chose which grey mission you don't want to include. But otherwise you are spot on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jacenat wrote:
shnar wrote:
with the core set, you pretty much only have 4 Gray and 4 Green side missions.

There are 5 grey Side missions in the core set, so this is the only way to "customize". You just chose which grey mission you don't want to include. But otherwise you are spot on

That's incorrect. You randomly choose which gray mission to leave out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian LeClaire
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Ahhhhh ok guys thanks a lot. That does clarify it quite a bit for me. I knew I was supposed to do a side mission after Aftermath but I feel like the learn to play guide wasn't being clear on how to pick a mission. Thanks so much for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian LeClaire
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Clipper wrote:
Inidentally, have you read the appropriate sections of the Rules Reference Guide or are you trying to get the info from the Learn to Play Guide? The LtP is not adequate to learn the rules properly.

When reading the info on missions in the RRG, remember the following terminology and it should all make sense and work in the way that shnar clarified:

You're right, the learn to play guide was not sufficient. I learned that pretty quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.