Popular Tags: [View All]
steven colby
United States
mount laurel
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brotehr and i played several games of the battle at agincourt. And every time the french won no matter who was playing. it seemed like the calvary just stomped in there and tore down the archers. we even tried hiding the archers in the woods but then the french person just concentrated his calvary on the footmen. i tell you what heavy calvary is deadly. ill take that over any creature any day. so tell me some strategies that hlped you win with the english.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My English opponent's strategy was to roll kills every time he fired a bow.sauron That and two Darken the Sky cards did the trick very nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aethyr
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I've played Agincourt twice, both times as the French, and I won once and lost once.

The time I lost was because the British kept forcing me to retreat, as well as clever use of the Counterattack card, and the Darken the Skies card.

I think the first scenario is fairly balanced, but may lean a bit in the favor of the French if they can close the distance in the first few moves and immediately put pressure on the archers.

If you don't have the cards to get enough people moved up quickly though, the British can pick you apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agincourt is meant to be played without the Morale rules. No Gaining Ground and No Cavalry Pursuits

If you were already doing that I guess the French just got lucky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolf
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Is that in the scenarios rules (don't have them in front of me)? No Morale would also mean no Bold, which doesn't make sense.

I've played once on each side, and won both times. My win as the English, though, was helped by multiple Darken the Sky cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Benn
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
It indicates this in the notes for the scenario. Eliminating cavalry pursuits and morale rules rebalances the scenario IMO. I'm going to try something different and invent a "Long Bow" that does +1 dice and see how that goes for balance.

Everyone should bear in mind that Agincourt is just a learning scenario really, and one made by a French game company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played, I won as the English. Range 4 on archers is (coming from C&C:Ancients) crazy, crazy effective. I just picked the flanking heavy cav apart as they tried to close in -- and since they close faster than everyone else, even though we played with the full rules, they were knocked back a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played once without the full rules and the Engilsh won, and have played 3 times with the full rules and the French just rolled the English each time.

One way to even up the battle when using the full rules (and somewhat represent longbows) is to give the English player both "Darken the Skies" cards as two of his starting six cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Agincourt is just a learning scenario really, and one made by a French game company

Ah Ha! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
C.H.A.D. wrote:
We played once without the full rules and the Engilsh won, and have played 3 times with the full rules and the French just rolled the English each time.

Interesting. As I mentioned, we played with full rules and I destroyed the French.

I wonder what I did wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing it is what your opponent did wrong.

Seriously though, if the French concentrate on brinigng their center infantry foward before sending in the knights the English should lose the majority of the time. The fact that some people claim they won with the English is no surprise. A timely rolling of two red helmets can turn the tide quickly. Nevertheless I will stand by my opinion that the French have a significant advantage if playing with the full rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I found the Engligh did fairly well, and they did win the first game, but lost the second. We played with all the rules and such.

I found it very effective to use my archers to pick at the edges of their advancing line. With a few good Retreat Flags rolled, you can break up their formations and make it really hard for them to advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolf
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Johnny Awesome wrote:
It indicates this in the notes for the scenario.

Yeah, sort of. The notes say not to worry about it if you're playing for the first time, and to just focus on turn order, but I don't think the scenario is meant to be played that way all the time. Playing BL without Morale would be boooooring yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Bryant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with this scenario -
I've played it 6 times now, 3 as English, 3 as French. Full rules every time.
I won all of them. As the English, in one play my archers destroyed the cavalry early (good rolls), another play the cavalry just got slowed down and we had a big fight in the center; the english center mostly got destroyed, but England won (very close). In the third, the French sent the cav out around the trees on the outside, and England won another close game.
As the French, I usually moved my center up a bit (after my cavalry were forced to retreat out of archer range), got the cavalry in position, and charged the archers, quickly followed by the foot.
The fact that I won all the games was at least somewhat influenced by cards in hand and dice results, but it doesn't seem unbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.