Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Wunderland is a light little game that plays rather quickly. The game is all about using the turn of the other players to your benefit. If you can move efficently when it isn't your turn, you will have the best chance of winning.

In Wunderland, you are moving around one of Germany's top tourist attractions: a toy train set. You are moving from town to town fulfilling destination tickets and collecting post cards. While this seems very easy, and the rules are easy, timing and knowing when to move is super important.

Wunderland is easy on the rules enough to literally teach this game to most people. It is likely your mom and grandmother could pick up the rules and that is a certain benefit. At the same time, there might not be enough for hardcore gamers looking for something a little deeper. You have limited decisions on any given turn, yet on each player turn you are likely to have a decision. So, even when it isn't your turn, yo uare still playing the game.

There are two ways to score points and it can be important to balance both ways. Although the game plays with 2 players, it is really better with more players. The game is centered around moving on other player's turn, so you need more players so this occurs more often.

This game is light. It is on the level of a Ticket to Ride in terms of weight, but it is different from that game. I would recommend this more for families or gamers looking for a light game. Maybe even for kids at a certain age. The components are nice and it is fun traveling around the "world" to these different places.

Keeper.

Components:

Wood/plastic: You get cute little train meeples that track your score around the board. Otherwise, your people moving around are small tokens with stickers on them (you have to sticker yourself, sigh).

Cards: The cards are good quality. The destination cards have the placement on the board on the card which is super helpful to find the locations. This is a much needed and appreciated touch. The post card cards are the same art over and over, but they are good quality and don't need to be shuffled.

Art: The art is quaint. The board art is fantastic and the cards really bring the game to life. The destination cards are a show of genius on how to do this sort of card. The art is really beautiful.

Board: The board is a nice size. I like the movement on the board and it looks really great. The art on the board is great to show the differences in the different areas. The scoring is a train track to bring to life the theme of the game. The board is super simple to use and very user friendly.

Type of money/vp: VP is calucalted using a scoring track around the board.

Final Grade: The components are very nice and even nicer if this is considered a family game/kids game. There was even a nice advertisement included in the box for the actual tourist attraction. I thought it was a nice touch. You are likely to have zero complaints about the components.

Rule Book:

Color/B/W: Color

Pictures of components: Yes

Picture of game set up: No

Pictures included: Yes

Example of playing the game: No

How long to read the book: 10-15 Minutes

Player Aid: No

The rules are simple to digest and come in multiple languages. I like the inclusion of the background of this tourist attraction. The rules do a great job of explaining the rules and you will not have any problems with a single read through. Everything was crystal clear after the single reading.

Flow of the Game:

Goal of the Game:

The goal of the game is to score the most victory points by collecting post cards and reaching (and scoring) the destinations on your destination cards.

How it plays:

You will move tourist around the board (and be moved on the other player's turns) to reach certain cities in order to score VP. The big decisions in the game is when to move your guys and when to allow them to move when it isn't your turn. To win, you need to successfully move when it isn't your turn.

A turn:

1. You can move any or some of your tokens form a single location either one or two locations. The other players may move their tokens with you if they started on the same location as you and wish to end on the location you end on (they cannot stop early).

2. Destination Cards - You can complete up to 5 (then game ends). These will score you a number of points for having a tourist at each location. You can have two in your hand at a time, until you finish the 4th then you will only have 1 more.

3. At certain locations on the board, you can pick up a postcard for each tourist on that spot that you send back to the start. These will score you points based on how many postcards you collect of each color (max of 4 per color).

* You score VP by fulfilling destination cards and by collecting Post Cards. You get 1 VP per card (max 4) for the city you have collected the most PC from, 2 VP per card (max 4) for the city you collected the 2nd most PC, etc.

** This is all the rules in the game. The game is super simple to play and to learn, yet the game does require some tricky decisions.

Should I buy this game?:

Wunderland is a light game that I would recommend to families. It is an okay game for gamers looking for some thing light in the vein of Downfall of Pompeii or Survive. It doesn't have must screwage, but the same luck and light movement. This might be a game to introdue to the 8+ crowd for kids. If you only play deep Euros, then this isn't the game for you.

Keeper.

*The images posted with this review are not mine and are images I found on BGG. If you click on the image, you can see who posted it to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found out about this one through a blog and came straight over to your review. Excellent as always Jason. I play anything (hmm except party games) and I particularly love visually appealing light-medium Euros with easy rules and good depth, that anyone from non-gamers & gamers can appreciate. This is a for sure purchase for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. When I saw this was about £12 on special offer in one of the online game shops on the UK, I nearly bought it. However, I read elsewhere that the game was essentially broken so didn't pull the trigger, assuming this was the reason for the low price,

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
I just found out about this one through a blog and came straight over to your review. Excellent as always Jason. I play anything (hmm except party games) and I particularly love visually appealing light-medium Euros with easy rules and good depth, that anyone from non-gamers & gamers can appreciate. This is a for sure purchase for me.

Thanks for the kind words. This was a surprise and a game I had never heard of. I bought on a whim in an auction here on BGG. Good game for its level. Hope you enjoy it and I lead you to a good purchase. After a play, let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mudshark_baby wrote:
Interesting. When I saw this was about £12 on special offer in one of the online game shops on the UK, I nearly bought it. However, I read elsewhere that the game was essentially broken so didn't pull the trigger, assuming this was the reason for the low price,

M B

Well, I don't know what is broken about it (and don't want to know lol). I've had fun playing it. It is something I would play occasionally with the family so it works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.