Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is just me/us or Galactus' Master stike is really brutal?

in most of our games vs galactus... ended in a loss because those masters strikes always comes out in early turns... and leaving most of time only 2 spaces in the city... which results to over-overrun! = LOSE.
This always happen to us even before you make a decent choice on our turns.

yea, maybe we are just really unlucky because those masters strikes always shows up.. most of the time about 3 or 4 master strikes ...before even 25% of villian deck has been used...

and also when playing the "Golden Solo Variant" (a variant where you flip 2 villian cards instead of 1 per turn)... it is nearly impossible to win against galactus... unless you are really lucky that most of those master strikes are in the bottom....

So.. I am suggesting a nerf to galactus...

Added these text to Galactus
-------------------------------------
During Set-Up:
(Use Seeding shuffle)
Set aside all master strikes. Then shuffle the villian deck and stack it into 5 piles face down.. then shuffle in 1 master strike in each pile. Then Stack the 5 piles together to make a villain deck.
-------------------------------------

This way... you will be sure those master strikes wont kill you in your early turns...

Any other Ideas to nerf it?
or you just like galactus as it is?
or you are just always lucky that those masters strikes didnt show up in hordes early game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have never gone up against him solo. (that sounds like crazy talk lol). Having said that we have only beaten Galactus once and that was after playing around 6 consecutive games by changing the set up and the scheme with each game.

The masterstrikes are a killer but probably the most fun I've had trying to take him down

We considered the 'pandemic' set up you suggest above but somehow it feels like cheating especially as we wouldn't do it with any other set up. So we just pray that we don't get consecutive strikes or twists - but that never really works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for me is doesnt sound cheating..

because if lots of those masterstrike hits early game...it is us that feels that being cheated by the game, because... we didnt made any mistakes, we didnt made any misbuys or something like that... it is just we didnt have a choice but to lose..

I love games that are hard, i love challenging games, with lots of decision to choose from, thus if i did a misplay or wrong decision i accept my defeat.

But it is hard to accept defeat if it is just your unlucky. and no choice at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing about evening out master-strikes is that the game gets easier as you become more powerful. So ensuring that some of the worst cards are towards the end of the villain deck means your lives are a little easier. However, since a random shuffle could cause this to occur anyway, it probably won't break anything too much. It also wouldn't be the first game that this technique has been used. It brings to mind the scoring cards in Alhambra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you just need to do some better shuffling. When I shuffle, I typically make eight stacks out of the villain deck (to spread out the scheme twists) and then I randomly put them back, followed by cutting the deck. USUALLY, this makes things more even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
32vini2 wrote:
I have never gone up against him solo. (that sounds like crazy talk lol).

Actually... That's a lot easier than working in a group.

A solo player will simply build up a mono-colored deck and take down Galactus quite quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
The only thing about evening out master-strikes is that the game gets easier as you become more powerful. So ensuring that some of the worst cards are towards the end of the villain deck means your lives are a little easier. However, since a random shuffle could cause this to occur anyway, it probably won't break anything too much. It also wouldn't be the first game that this technique has been used. It brings to mind the scoring cards in Alhambra.

I am not evening the master strike in every game... as i said above i am suggesting it only versus galactus

GrandMasterFox wrote:
A solo player will simply build up a mono-colored deck and take down Galactus quite quickly.

The issue is... not with the number of players... what i mean is the so many masterstrikes coming out too early in the game... 3 or 4 master strikes before even 25% of villian deck was used...

and also I am not discussing about Galactus attack or about his cosmic threat (for me his atk and cosmic threat is just balanced, the thing that is not balance for me is his master strike, if too many come out early)...We killed Galactus many times now, but that will happen if no or few master strikes early game.. If i count it right.. we won vs him about 5 or 6 times already (no swarming of master strikes)... but we lose against him about more than 10 times i think... and those are the games that master strikes flooding too early...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
I think you just need to do some better shuffling. When I shuffle, I typically make eight stacks out of the villain deck (to spread out the scheme twists) and then I randomly put them back, followed by cutting the deck. USUALLY, this makes things more even.

Actually i shuffle a lot... my fellow gamers called me a (i dont know the exact english translation of it but it is like "gaming nerd" or something like that in our native language... it is because i always strict on rules and when i shuffle .. i take lots of time shuffle making sure it was fully randomize.. i pile shuffle (10 stacks) 3 times on each deck.. except bystanders where i only pile shuffle once.. then some ripple shuffle and then some cut shuffle....maybe it is just i am really unlucky as most of the time when we play most of the master strikes are on the top...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dchamp wrote:
thedaninblack wrote:

Actually i shuffle a lot... my fellow gamers called me a (i dont know the exact english translation of it but it is like "gaming nerd" or something like that in our native language... it is because i always strict on rules and when i shuffle .. i take lots of time shuffle making sure it was fully randomize.. i pile shuffle (10 stacks) 3 times on each deck.. except bystanders where i only pile shuffle once.. then some ripple shuffle and then some cut shuffle....maybe it is just i am really unlucky as most of the time when we play most of the master strikes are on the top...

I think you must be, to be honest. But think about it -- isn't the game being challenging part of the fun? Sometimes those Strikes will clobber you. It happens. I fought Carnage with X-Cutioner's song the other day, and me and my friends got stomped VERY quickly. It happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
32vini2 wrote:
I have never gone up against him solo. (that sounds like crazy talk lol).

Actually... That's a lot easier than working in a group.

This is what I do, works most of the time. besides of seeding the deck I would suggest a strategy of certain hero types, like nothing but tech heroes etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P W
msg tools
Our group (usually 3, 4, or 5-player games) has about a .500 record against Galactus surprisingly enough.

We have beaten Ultron only once, and we use both Custom versions in the master list (was sheer luck, Drax double Attack card). We have beaten Thanos only once.

Other Masterminds who have proven themselves as the most difficult are Apocalypse and surprisingly Kingpin.

Because of the randomization of each match and the use of 30-plus Masterminds in our games, we haven't had enough matches to be conclusive about some of the others. But, for us, that's the point: always a new game with new-ish rules. Every game feels like something new.

Also, as stated in other threads, we always play All-Powerful or Legendary Mode. It's not that Galactus is easy. We just got lucky maybe?

We don't play as much as some people on here, I'm sure. But I figured this might help the original poster with the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Galactus is tough, but he's supposed to border on invincible, so I'm OK with that.

Personally if I were to nerf a Mastermind it would be Apocalypse. I keep track of my wins and losses and it's about 38% against Galactus and 28% versus Apocalypse.

Galactus is an interesting Mastermind, in particular since taking him on is tough (barring really skewed distributions of class cards) but the rewards are big. Contrast this with Apocalypse, who is not only tough, but if you can take him on, cripples all your opponent's decks. This compounds wickedly with his Horsemen being defeated or escaping.

In case anyone cares, this is my approximate win ratio against the Masterminds. I'm not listing the Guardians Masterminds since I've played few games against them (10 versus at least 30 for the others). I've rounded to the nearest 5 percent.

Stryfe 65%
Mr. Sinister 60%
Loki 55%
Kingpin 60%
Mephisto 60%
Apocalypse 30%
Doctor Doom 75%
Red Skull 80%
Magneto 85%
Mole Man 45%
Galactus 40%

The Magneto ratio annoys the hell out of me, especially since I now don't fight him unless there's one or fewer X-Men in the Hero deck, but that still hasn't improved his likelihood of winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P W
msg tools
Tsallak wrote:

In case anyone cares, this is my approximate win ratio against the Masterminds. I'm not listing the Guardians Masterminds since I've played few games against them (10 versus at least 30 for the others). I've rounded to the nearest 5 percent.

Stryfe 65%
Mr. Sinister 60%
Loki 55%
Kingpin 60%
Mephisto 60%
Apocalypse 30%
Doctor Doom 75%
Red Skull 80%
Magneto 85%
Mole Man 45%
Galactus 40%

The Magneto ratio annoys the hell out of me, especially since I now don't fight him unless there's one or fewer X-Men in the Hero deck, but that still hasn't improved his likelihood of winning.

Totally interested. And besides, I think it goes with the original post.

Anyway, here are some of our group statistics for the year-long campaign we've been running. Games are mostly 4- and 5- player games with lots of variables thrown in, such as teaching some new people how to play in the middle of the campaign and such. None of these are solo mode. Everything is randomized in our campaign. We always play either Legendary or All-Powerful mode, AND some games add the fatal twist of one of those additional 1-10 Extra Difficulty rules that were added in one of the expansions, I think, making games extra hard and victories all the more sweeter. We also have played City Events for extra difficulties at times, and are starting to incorporate that regularly. We are brutal when it comes to trying to make it difficult. Based on that info, here you go...

Win Percentages:
--Red Skull 72%
--Loki 50%
--Doctor Doom 38% (this makes me happy, because he's not supposed to be that hard but he has an almost "mystical" way of getting the right card drops and scenarios to make him successful)
--Magneto 50%
--Mole Man 70%
--Galactus 50%
--Mephisto 60%
--Mr. Sinister 70%
--Kingpin 25% (wow)
--Apocalypse 25%
--Supreme Intelligence 100%
--Mysterio 63%
-- Thanos 14%
--Carnage 33%
--Stryfe 33%
--Master Mold 60%
--Norman Osborn 50%
--M.O.D.O.K. 100%
--Ultron 0% (he's a beast, and I love it)
--Ultron 2.0 25% (1 out of 4 wins; also a beast; this one is the one that puts a virus in your hand on a Master Strike and the other one is 3 Villain Deck flips on a Master Strike)
--Dark Phoenix 100%
--H.A.M.M.E.R. 50%
--Klaw 0% (only played against him once so far)

Much appreciation to everyone here. You all have kept the game fresh for us. I know all of the people in our group would like to pat ya on the back for a job well done in giving us more options. We are up to 32 Masterminds we consider "canon" for our game and our campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactus is fine IMO, if anybody needs a nerf, it's stinking Apocalypse angry . Granted, we're still close to 50% wins against him (all 2-player, random setups):

Apocalypse: 5-6
Carnage: 4-0
Dr. Doom: 14-7 (6-4)
Galactus: 4-2
Kingpin: 11-0
Loki: 13-8 (5-5)
Magneto: 14-7 (6-4)
Mephisto: 11-0
Mole Man: 4-2
Mr. Sinister: 10-1
Mysterio: 4-0
Red Skull: 21-1 (9-1)
Stryfe: 9-2

(parenthesis numbers are with base only, every Mastermind has gotten easier since adding Dark City)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sexton
United States
Pikeville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play galactus solo a lot and he really isn't that tough to beat, I think he has eaten the world three times on me?

Either way I just pick a color and go for it and basically hit him for 6/// or less every couple of turns.

The only thing that makes him tough is having a short city in a scheme that revolves around escaping or When X heroes are KO-ed.

Honestly thanos, Mysterio, and apocalypse are the hardest masterminds IMO. I don't even put galactus in that category as "tough". (Granted I play exclusively solo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Crane
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
Supplies!!!
badge
What's in the box?
mbmbmbmbmb
pegwarrior wrote:
Tsallak wrote:

Stryfe 65%
Mr. Sinister 60%
Loki 55%
Kingpin 60%
Mephisto 60%
Apocalypse 30%
Doctor Doom 75%
Red Skull 80%
Magneto 85%
Mole Man 45%
Galactus 40%

Totally interested. And besides, I think it goes with the original post.

Anyway, here are some of our group statistics for the year-long campaign we've been running. Games are mostly 4- and 5- player games with lots of variables thrown in, such as teaching some new people how to play in the middle of the campaign and such. None of these are solo mode. Everything is randomized in our campaign. We always play either Legendary or All-Powerful mode, AND some games add the fatal twist of one of those additional 1-10 Extra Difficulty rules that were added in one of the expansions, I think, making games extra hard and victories all the more sweeter. We also have played City Events for extra difficulties at times, and are starting to incorporate that regularly. We are brutal when it comes to trying to make it difficult. Based on that info, here you go...

Win Percentages:
--Red Skull 72%
--Loki 50%
--Doctor Doom 38% (this makes me happy, because he's not supposed to be that hard but he has an almost "mystical" way of getting the right card drops and scenarios to make him successful)
--Magneto 50%
--Mole Man 70%
--Galactus 50%
--Mephisto 60%
--Mr. Sinister 70%
--Kingpin 25% (wow)
--Apocalypse 25%
--Supreme Intelligence 100%
--Mysterio 63%
-- Thanos 14%
--Carnage 33%
--Stryfe 33%
--Master Mold 60%
--Norman Osborn 50%
--M.O.D.O.K. 100%
--Ultron 0% (he's a beast, and I love it)
--Ultron 2.0 25% (1 out of 4 wins; also a beast; this one is the one that puts a virus in your hand on a Master Strike and the other one is 3 Villain Deck flips on a Master Strike)
--Dark Phoenix 100%
--H.A.M.M.E.R. 50%
--Klaw 0% (only played against him once so far)

Much appreciation to everyone here. You all have kept the game fresh for us. I know all of the people in our group would like to pat ya on the back for a job well done in giving us more options. We are up to 32 Masterminds we consider "canon" for our game and our campaign.

Are some of the masterminds you are playing against custom masterminds? Or am I missing masterminds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P W
msg tools
craneplash47 wrote:
pegwarrior wrote:

Are some of the masterminds you are playing against custom masterminds? Or am I missing masterminds?

Yes. All expansions. The extra few custom cards made here.

Link:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1268493/marvel-master-datab...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.