Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Has anything emerged yet? Is it wise to lead with a 4-Hoplite, e.g., build up the phalanx and then play the ballista, etc.? Or vice-versa? Is it dangerous to end a round with less than, say, 6 cards left in hand? When does it make sense to put a Hoplite on an elephant -- only when you have just one or two in your hand?... How are people playing this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep an elephant in hand (and a 3 or 4 hoplite) for the snake round.
Save archers for rounds you need to win.

Concentrate either on Cites OR on Boats VP cards (not both) and lock up its respective chalice for the whole game and reduce scoring volatility.

Don't bother to fight for first place in Thanatos rounds where the reward cards are identical (newbie mistake).
Don't bother to fight for second place in thanatos rounds where the VP rewards are both the card type you are not specializing in. ie if dual boats and you are city VP, then quit early. Try to take third place with minimal card play to save up cards for the rounds that have big reward cards or -2 thanatos (or both).
Snake round with your VP type available is probably second highest value round in the game.
The Queen (5VP) round is probably the most valuable in the game.

If you are going to dump a card just to stay in the round, seriously consider passing, to save your cards.
If you are holding 10 cards, dont pass, since it will cause you to discard at the start of next round.
When you are looking at two people to attack, chose the one that has higher VP (excluding the 1VP chalice). If they are tied, nuke the guy that has the same VP card type as you.

lmk if it works for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very tentative answer (I've only played two games (a 2-player and a 5-player). The second game, about half-way through, I started leading with my weapons and holding back on revealing my hoplites and archers. I wanted to see what everyone else was playing first - especially what hoplite/archer killers would be committed. However, if everyone does this - then little is gained. I think the game requires more tactical (reactionary) moves than long-term strategy. However, I have held off using my big powers (and thus dropping out early) if a) the Thanatos is only a -1 or this is a Gorgon Siege; and b) the victory cards are 1's and 2's.
Thus, saving my big powers, I will have more cards and be in a stronger position for the big victory cards.

However, I think the game is a balancing act - even 1's and 2's are important if they get you Poseidon or Athena.

I suppose that's what I love about the game - you are constantly walking a tight-line as to when to play, what to play, and when to pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played a few 2-player games and they tend to be quite brutal, but maybe because I play wargames most of the time. We did play one round until both our hands were empty which made the next one interesting. Here a couple of observations:
1. Protect a 4-Hoplite with a Harrow because we always swipe it from the hand with a Chariot
2. Play a Catapult before a Ballista or Horse to counter your opponent's Catapult

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris yates
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Chariots

How do people use thses? Their special power doesn't seem that effective. Often you are swappping a 3 value card for something less if used. Only played once and quite enjoyed it. But am trying to see the advantage of attacking out of your hand?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris yates wrote:
Their special power doesn't seem that effective. Often you are swappping a 3 value card for something less if used.

They're always a net gain against phalanxes: the smallest phalanx is a 2 and a 1, for 6 points; your 3-point chariot will knock that down 4 points. And against a 4-3, 4-3-2, or 4-3-2-1 phalanx, your 3-point chariot is knocking them down 10 or 13 points, which is a pretty good trade!

chris yates wrote:
But am trying to see the advantage of attacking out of your hand?

We see a fair amount of attacking from the hand because A) there's often a ballista out on the table to keep people from playing elephants (so if you play your chariot onto the table, it'll get whacked), and B) if you play your chariot onto the table, there's the risk that your opponent will play a harrow. (Although we often start with harrows.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
chris yates wrote:
But am trying to see the advantage of attacking out of your hand?

We see a fair amount of attacking from the hand because A) there's often a ballista out on the table to keep people from playing elephants (so if you play your chariot onto the table, it'll get whacked), and B) if you play your chariot onto the table, there's the risk that your opponent will play a harrow. (Although we often start with harrows.)

My games so far have only been with 2 and 3 players but Chariots are almost never played to the table. Perhaps when you are desperate for points near the end of the game and have few cards left it makes sense as a last resort. Certainly removing a Chariot is expensive: the attacker needs to sacrifice a Chariot or a Ballista which is best reserved for Elephants. No, I think the Chariot is best reserved for the surprise attacking against Phalanxes, or as soon as an opponent places a 4 Hoplite, especially as there are few Harrow cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris yates
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
having just bought my own copy and read the rules for myself I see that we played Hoplites wrong. We're weren't playing them in descending order. Chariots make more sense now.

thanks

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason to play the chariot to the table is:
if there is no threat and you know you will want to bomb the enemys phalanx and he hasnt developped it yet then playing to the table means you dont have to spend a card to stay in the round.
Running low on cards is a real killer in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taubman
Australia
Queens Park
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris yates wrote:
Chariots

How do people use thses? Their special power doesn't seem that effective. Often you are swappping a 3 value card for something less if used. Only played once and quite enjoyed it. But am trying to see the advantage of attacking out of your hand?

Chris
Also you are effectively getting two moves in one; to attack with any other card you have to show it in one move then use it in another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.