Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taught the game to a bunch of people, none of whom had ever played a miniatures game before. My advice is to keep it simple - use as few upgrades as possible. I also like to start with only a few unique pilots, and typically the ones that people know - Luke, Han, Vader, Boba, etc.

You don't need to play 100-point games if you're just demoing. It'll take way longer than the usual 60-ish minutes if it's everyone's first game. And FYI, as the the person leading the demo, make sure you know all the rules from memory. You shouldn't have to refer to the rulebook for basic stuff. Play with the asteroids, otherwise the game will devolve into jousting and k-turning, and the maneuvering becomes unimportant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
My bulleted list of suggestions:

* play with few ships, 1-2 per side, and nothing too exotic
* play with asteroids, to avoid boring maneuvers
* play with actions, because people will get a wrong impression otherwise
* if you like, place the Rebel Transport as an obstacle somewhere (maybe with some background story explaining why everybody fights for it), for eye candy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhide1 wrote:
What would you think a good point balance would be? Good point on the time factor, I hadn't really considered that. That being considered, with smaller squads, should I use less than a 3 X 3 area as well? Maybe 2 X 2?

For just a demo game to get people interested, you could get away with a 50-point game. That's enough to give the Imperial side 4 TIEs (2 Academy, 2 Obsidian), or maybe Vader and a couple of TIEs, for example. And then you could give the Rebels a couple of X-wings or an X and a B, maybe something like 2 Rookies with shields, or Luke and a Blue, for example.

Of course, you bring more stuff if someone wants to play a full 100-point game. And you could always use a time limit. 60-75 minutes is pretty common for tournament play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As a different approach, what about a "furball" in the middle of the table ?

People who are interested, grab a ship and join the fight.

Depending on the group, it may even kind of self-balance - someone with a powerful ship may find themselves being a target as people want to be the one to take the "big guy" out and if one side starts losing - well, maybe they can get more recruits to help.

I saw this at a local games day and it seemed like everyone had fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're doing a teaching demo, what I've seen done is 2 Academy Pilot Ties and 2 Obsidian Squadron pilots vs 2 Bandit and 2 Tala squadron Z-95's (you can sub in scum z-95's as needed).

You also want to leave out most upgrades except maybe ordinance as an example of how an upgrade may work.

This leaves it extremely simple so that they're concentrating on movement and positioning as well as actions. It also shows differences in pilot skill and differences in ship stats, and gives them just enough to know that more exists in the game in the form of pilots and upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
For demo purposes, I like to have the following prepped:

25-30 pt squads
50 pt squads
100 pt squads

and then I tailor what I'm actually using to the number of people that show up. Specifically, with a larger group, I go with the smallest squads, but get everyone on the same table. Lots of action, and people can jump in at any time (or respawn just for fun). If I can support two tables, and don't have large crowds I'll do two 50 pt games, and only go to 100 if people are showing up one at a time, or have significant other gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
If kids are involved in this at all you have go Millenium Falcon. That's when my son started enjoying it. Not only because of the ship but the fact that it can shoot 360 degrees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.