BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Obama comments on rape. Very well said. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obama was commenting on Bill Cosby the other day, and he said something I think everyone here can agree with:

Quote:
If you give a woman -- or a man, for that matter -- without his or her knowledge a drug and then have sex with that person without consent, that's rape.

---

A key part here - is that he broadened the scope to include men.

Rape is despicable, and it is despicable regardless of the victims gender.

I applaud Obama for recognizing and articulating that men can also be victims of this horrendous crime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Sure. Although the reporter that decided to ask him about Cosby -- as if his views on Cosby actually matter, particularly when the subject of the day was the Iran deal -- should probably be out looking for work at TMZ or something.

But hey, Obama got to talk about something other than the Iran deal -- because he clearly didn't want to take tough questions about that.

Have you "joined the fight" and become a TruthRevolt fighter? FIGHT THE LIES!

I'm glad they didn't make releasing those prisoners a part of the nuke deal. That's a separate issue and I doubt anyone wants Iran to think they should take more people to get more concessions from the U.S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
WTF? Why is the President of the United States commenting on media speculation about a celebrity's crimes? I mean, I think Bill Cosby is probably a rapist too, but why the fuck is this something worth the President's notice?

Also, what BJ said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
How is this "very well said?" He sounds just about like John Madden saying things like “To get more yards, it’s best to move the ball from the line of scrimmage down the field,” or “Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they’re bigger than everybody else, and that’s what makes them the biggest guys on the field.” No shit sticking a drug in someone's drink, knocking them out, and then having sex with them is rape.

Madden 2016! I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
How is this "very well said?" He sounds just about like John Madden saying things like “To get more yards, it’s best to move the ball from the line of scrimmage down the field,” or “Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they’re bigger than everybody else, and that’s what makes them the biggest guys on the field.” No shit sticking a drug in someone's drink, knocking them out, and then having sex with them is rape.

Madden 2016! I'm in.

*Pshaw* Mike Ditka 2016

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
WTF? Why is the President of the United States commenting on media speculation about a celebrity's crimes?

He was asked a question by a reporter about revoking cosby's presidential medal of freedom. There was a petition to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

bjlillo wrote:

Wow! And to think that after all these months years, the Republicans STILL HAVE NOT agreed upon a definition of what constitutes rape!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
djgutierrez77 wrote:
WTF? Why is the President of the United States commenting on media speculation about a celebrity's crimes? I mean, I think Bill Cosby is probably a rapist too, but why the fuck is this something worth the President's notice?

Also, what BJ said.

He got asked if he was going to try and strip Cosby's medal of freedom from him. What's he supposed to say? I suppose he could have just said no and moved on, but...

Ninja'd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Also, what BJ said.

He got asked if he was going to try and strip Cosby's medal of freedom from him. What's he supposed to say? I suppose he could have just said no and moved on, but...

Ninja'd.

He was SUPPOSED to say.....
"If he is found guilty in a court of law, we will readdress this situation then..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Also, what BJ said.

Ninja'd.

He could have (and should have) said "that's not worthy of discussion right now" and moved on. Just because someone asked the question doesn't mean it deserves an answer.

More than that, has Bill Cosby been convicted of anything? Setting aside whether this should be beneath the President's notice or not. I mean, yes, I think he's a rapist and you think he's a rapist and pretty much everyone but tstone thinks he's a rapist, but until he's actually convicted of a crime is it even appropriate for someone in a highly visible position to even make a comment on whether or not they're going to strip him of some meaningless award?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

she2 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Also, what B said.

Ninja'd.

To set a precedent that would not have unforseen blowback consequences for other future Presidents to exploit out of partisan payback, President Barak Obama would have to consult with former Republican President George W. Bush who'd awarded Cosby with the Presidential Medal of Freedom. If Bush weren't on board, then Obama wouldn't be able to proceed.

*If*, however, former President Bush wrote to Obama, requesting that the Presidential Medal of Freedom that Dubya had awarded to Cosby be officially retracted, then Obama would have the option to follow through and it would be incumbent upon Bill Cosby thereafter to return it. (I don't know whether the government could actually seize the award though if Cosby failed to return it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
djgutierrez77 wrote:
she2 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Also, what BJ said.

Ninja'd.

He could have (and should have) said "that's not worthy of discussion right now" and moved on. Just because someone asked the question doesn't mean it deserves an answer.

More than that, has Bill Cosby been convicted of anything? Setting aside whether this should be beneath the President's notice or not. I mean, yes, I think he's a rapist and you think he's a rapist and pretty much everyone but tstone thinks he's a rapist, but until he's actually convicted of a crime is it even appropriate for someone in a highly visible position to even make a comment on whether or not they're going to strip him of some meaningless award?

Yeah, agreed. He should have just not taken the bait. I'm just responding to the part about why he commented. This is what happens when President's make off the cuff remarks. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
bjlillo wrote:
No shit sticking a drug in someone's drink, knocking them out, and then having sex with them is rape.

Well, ask Rocko about that sometime. He seems a bit confused on it.

#NoRapeCultureToBeFoundInAmericaNothingToSeeHere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
she2 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Also, what BJ said.

Ninja'd.

"If he is found guilty in a court of law, we will readdress this situation then..."

Why? That would not have changed the answer: there is no mechanism for revoking a presidential medal of freedom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
she2 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Also, what BJ said.

Ninja'd.

Why? That would not have changed the answer: there is no mechanism for revoking a presidential medal of freedom.

Because it sounds better than things like, the police acted stupidly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add my voice to the chorus of "The President of the US should not be speculating on the guilt or innocence of private citizens. Ever." The more serious the accusations, the less appropriate it is for him to comment on it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Did he do that? I don't think so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
jmilum wrote:

He insinuated it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds to me like your president was just trying to say nothing while making it sound good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
whac3 wrote:
It sounds to me like your president was just trying to say nothing while making it sound good.

So, basically, SNAFU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
ejmowrer wrote:
I'll add my voice to the chorus of "The President of the US should not be speculating on the guilt or innocence of private citizens. Ever." The more serious the accusations, the less appropriate it is for him to comment on it at all.

the speculation should be left to people on the internet who no what their talking about~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

the speculation should be left to people on the internet who no what their talking about~

Damn straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:

He could have (and should have) said "that's not worthy of discussion right now" and moved on.

Haha...Really, in today's landscape you think that would have flew, politically?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
A key part here - is that he broadened the scope to include men.

Thats almost as impressive as Deacon Jones and his struggle to treat women as equals.

I am not sure when the NFL has edited this video and removed this part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
jmilum wrote:

He insinuated it.

Exactly. He should have gone out of his way to stay out of it. Once it's settled, then he can talk about whether he will take away medals. He should be absolutely committed to the American ideal of "innocent till proven guilty" as leader of the country. I don't begrudge him having an opinion in private, but in his official capacity, he shouldn't be speculating and he should make it clear that he is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.