Subject: Fair length of time for a turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Hey! I'm organizing a Smash Up tournament. And one thing that we would like to have is timed turns so that the game moves along briskly. I was wondering how long do you think is a fair length of time for a turn so that you have enough time to play but encouraging having an idea beforehand? This time won't include picking up new cards or plays when bases are broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Larkus
Germany
Silent Hill
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case I'd say two minutes would be more than enough. You could even go with one, but that could build up too much pressure.

Usually, if you play with three or four players, you have enough time to plan your next turn. However, most of the time everything will look a lot different when it is your turn again. So with the basic idea of what you originally were up to and two minutes to think and play, you should be good.

If you have players that never or rarely played the game, you might go with three minutes. In my opinion Smash Up is a game that can be played quite quickly if you know what you are doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I was actually arguing for a minute and a half but some other people want to bring it down to 45 seconds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichNCrispy wrote:
I was actually arguing for a minute and a half but some other people want to bring it down to 45 seconds.

Even if you're playing with masters of the game who have all the cards memorized inside and out, 45 seconds sometimes just isn't feasible. With some mega combos, drawing new cards, playing extra minions, adding power tokens (depending which expansions you include), a single turn can easily take 90 seconds without any real delay in the players motions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sachin Daniels
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game often and for a long time. Most of the time my turns are done in thirty seconds, sometimes as few as 2 seconds. But James is right, sometimes you have a play that is so complex you need 2 minutes to work it out. If they players you have in this tournament are not familiar with the cards you may see this time hit more.

My recommendation, go with 90 seconds, and allow each player 1 timeout of 1 minute each game. For future tournaments you can adjust the time per turn, length of timeout, and number of timeouts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frenzied coder
msg tools
One of the slowest things during a turn is shuffling your deck (I'm specifically thinking of Sprout, but many cards apply as well). And you don't really want to rush shuffling, since it encourages sloppy/unfair shuffling. You might consider pausing the timer during shuffling, or adding some amount of time if a player needs to shuffle during their turn, like 15 seconds or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
I strongly advise against imposing a time limit. The game runs very quickly and you don't want to create more confusion with time keeping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
So we decided to go against having a time limit this time just due to not being able to decide on a good average time. However, we're also going to be timing people during the tournament just to get an average time possibly for a future tournament. I will post the findings here once I have them! 32 people signed up! I'm really excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sachin Daniels
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Galeziewski
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I have this nifty little app where you set the amount of time per player and it ticks down. Usually I give each player twelve minutes. the timer is paused for bases breaking and resumes/changes when a person draws their cards. Its pretty nifty and hold people accountable for game time and allows people to think out large combos for certain parts of the game while conserving time for the easy to play situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rulezfin wrote:
The game runs very quickly
I wish that was true for our game group, as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie Rostollan
United States
Auburn
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the app and how might I acquire it?

Carrie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Galeziewski
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
It is called Game Timer (generic, I know)by Mitch3a and I got it on the play store for android. also it is free

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.