jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have seen in another post when playing solo + Darwin you still increase moral each beginning of the moral phase each round. I get that ok.

I'm confused about this... the rules on Darwin say "he MAY be the first player and collect determination tokens..."

Does this mean each round I have a choice to switch being first player with him and he collects the tokens from the moral phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
This is the correct way of saying:
"While Friday may never become the first player, Darwin will, if it is "his" turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh ok so if playing with more people and one of those people are playing Darwin, that is the only time he will ever become first player, and get moral round benefits.

Playing solo or multiplayer with no being Darwin he is thought of as just another companion, like Friday.

is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, no.

Darwin is normally not played by one player. He is an additional character that CAN be controlled by a player in addition to his own character, or is controlled by the whole group.

However, he COULD be controlled by one player alone - e.g. if you are 5 players, or if one player is content with controlling a character that only has 1 pawn and in some scenarios has mandatory actions he needs to do (no choice).

Darwin is, therefore, NOT a full-blown PLAYER CHARAKTER. However, he is also neither "just" a crew member nor equal to Friday.

I would say he IS a character, though - because almost EVERYTHING that is true for a player character is also true for him - he needs to eat, is affected by Events and Weather, takes wounds from sleeping without shelter, can perform actions on his own (when he has the choice) etc.
And he also BECOMES the starting player when it is is turn!

Using the word "may" in the sentence "may become starting player" ONLY contrasts BEING the start player all the time. Darwin has a fixed place in turn order (players place him there), and when the start player indicator moves, he is NOT passed over, but instead then becomes the start player! There is no choice involved, this is purely automatic.

Also, Darwin's function in the game never changes, it is disregarding player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.