Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Grimstad
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlier this summer I was interested in trying to get into PP Warmachine. Loved the idea of a general magically controlling a giant robot and that most scenarios were kill the general (warcaster). But I was put off by the cost and trying to find opponents and that you really only get two armies in the starter kit.

Also I hate using a tape measure to figure out range. I was even thinking, I really want a skirmish level game that is hex-based. Then I found out about this and was really excited and snagged it on Amazon early.

I have only played warmachine once so this is a weak comparison but I think the two games are more alike than one would realize on the surface.

Similarities:
1. Both games are skirmish sized (though right now MtG:AoP is MUCH smaller).
2.Both use some terrain, though it is included with AoP. But both you really want to be able to add more.
3.Both use minis (always a plus in my book)
Your general is a bit of a glass cannon in both of these, you want them close enough to do damage but still safe from the vast majority of the fray.
4. Really powerful combos and possible 1 turn kills of opponent's general.
5. Balanced but asymmetrical.

Differences:
1. resource management in Warmachine.
2. Hobby aspect of Warmachine, collect and paint
3. Warmachine already has lots of expansions.

The big things that are missing from AoP that I would love to see added:

1. More resource management (rather than just can summon 2 and play 3 cards) you would be limited to like 6 mana per turn and every card would have a mana cost. This would be very focus like, also maybe have enchantments that you can pour mana into to make stronger for one turn or something. And get bonus mana if your planeswalker is on their home turf.

2. Feats- a special one time powerful ability that each planeswalker has that can truly change the game momentarily = very similar to some sorcery cards, but an ability instead.

So all and all Arena can almost be viewed as a super light version of Warmachine. Would love to hear other player's thoughts on this comparision.

Warmachine Prime Mk II Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is well reasoned, and technically accurate from what I can tell. However, having played both, WM extensively, they feel nothing alike. The rules interactions with WM when comparing to a game like AotP are like comparing choice cut steak to... Tofu. Sure, they both make a... Never mind. They are both food, but not the same.

This is not to say that I don't like AotP, it's just feels so different I would never have thought to conspire them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grimstad
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another point I definitely forgot to make was that in Warmachine you get to activate everything on the table, and the order you do that is VERY important. Whereas AotP definitely limits this by only being able to activate one squad or planeswalker per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warmachine is so much a deeper game than this that you can't really compare the two. They are not in the same league at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsc19702 wrote:
Warmachine is so much a deeper game than this that you can't really compare the two. They are not in the same league at all.

Well, I would give the OP a little more credit.

You can "abstract" any game up a few layers to make legitimate comparisons.

In the sense that both games have the concept of a leader character with powers who controls other minions characters (as opposed to say a game where all characters are of equal power) they are the similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
jsc19702 wrote:

Well, I would give the OP a little more credit.

You can "abstract" any game up a few layers to make legitimate comparisons.

In the sense that both games have the concept of a leader character with powers who controls other minions characters (as opposed to say a game where all characters are of equal power) they are the similar.

Yes at the most basic premise they are similar but with very different mechanisms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.