BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dungeon Roll or Tiny Epic defenders? Help choosing 1+ game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Selina Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello all,

In my local shop they have Dungeon Roll and Tiny Epic defenders. I can't (or shouldn't!) really get both but I am hoping you can help me choose or discuss the pros and cons.

I want to be able to play solo (cos I'm a friendless sod!) but at other times my stepson 10 (but he is pretty bright) and my SO (perhaps not so bright! ) might play with me too.

I like traditional dungeons and dragons stuff rather than modern warfare (hence Space Hulk: Death Angel didn't make the cut).
A shorter game is better.
I don't want to have to find lots of space.
I think I chucked Catan Dice Game out of the running as it involves drawing on paper and I didn't want to find myself running low on the little sheets.

Thanks for the help!

Psy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
To be frank... I probably wouldn't get either. I KS'd both Dungeon Roll being my first, and TED because of TEK. DR would have made a better app. It's not necessarily a bad game, only as a solo game though as there's really no player interaction, but for how short it is it's really not worth pulling out and dealing w/ it. TED for me just kind of fell flat. Not even sure I can really put a finger on why though. Maybe it's because it seemed a little too luck driven, especially for a game w/o dice. I've had games that went smoothly and everything fell into place, and others where you couldn't get a good defense going. So there really didn't seem to be a way to set up a good strategy.

If I absolutely had to choose one over the other I think I'd take TED. In the long run I think there is more game there, especially if you could potentially play it w/ other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selina Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for your thoughts.

What games would you be inclined to recommend given the above?

Psy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also pile on and say Dungeon Roll is a terrible game. I would definitely pass on that one.

Don't let keeping score on sheets drive you away from a game. Go to any office supply store and have a few sheets laminated and use dry erase markers. I have done that with several games before and it works great.
Catan dice is a decent game. There are better quick dice games out there (Qwixx), but it is certainly a better buy than Dungeon Roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
psylina wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts.

What games would you be inclined to recommend given the above?

Psy

To be honest I'm not really into solo gaming w/ physical games, usually just play an app or console game instead of setting up something (lazy that way ) I don't think it gets much love, atleast I don't hear people talking about it much, but I do recall enjoying the Dungeoneer card game series http://www.atlas-games.com/dungeoneer/ I don't think they are making new sets now, but most of the old ones seem to be readily available.

The Pathfinder Adventure Card games don't really give you the feel of a dungeon crawl IMHO, but I have enjoyed what I have played so far. There's a couple of different sets w/ slightly different themes now too to choose from. Doesn't really fit the short time frame though... especially not the first couple of games as you get used to the rules.

It doesn't fit the small footprint concept but the AD&D Adventure Game series can be fun. It is also easily expandable to more players when you have other people around.

Maybe also look at Elder Sign... it's based in the Arkham Horror universe and is pure dice rolling. There are a couple of expansions now, the last one adds a completely new mechanism/approach to the game. Here again though, the app version might be better as it is quicker to get started, plus you can save it and finish it off later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming you're looking at those options because of their price point? Trying to stay in that range can be a challenge but you might look into Star Realms.

It plays fast, would work well in those 2 player situations but you can also buy or download solo options for the game. If you end up liking and want to add a 3rd player, you can always buy another set to make it more than a 2-player game. Cthulhu Realms is soon to be released, which is Star Realsm with the horror theme.

Onirim might also work in that price range. It is mostly solo but can accommodate 2 players.

There are a lot of other options for smaller games with lower price points, like Draco Magi or Samurai Spirit.

I also don't want to take business away from a local game store, but if you're that tight on what you can pick up, you'll save more purchasing on-line and might be able to increase your options quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selina Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's a very good tip! (re dry erase markers).. Sorry i pressed reply and posted my message expecting it to pop up under the comment and not be appended to the bottom!

I did look at Elder Sign for a while but thought it might take up a lot of space?
back in my youth I had reams and reams of those fighting fantasy books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone. Damn I loved them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Roll is awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have much to add. I also KSed Dungeon Roll because it seemed like a nice filler. In reality is was pretty weak. Not necessarily a bad game but there not much substance to it. If you find it cheap in a thrift store, by all means, but don't pay retail.
I passed on TED because of bad reviews, can't say anything about it. But I love TEK and have KSed TEG, which also looks epic.

Solo games aren't exactly a dime a dozen. It's not quite the same price point but I'd strongly suggest Pandemic.
If you have a smartphone there are also several really good games there, like Small World, Ticket to Ride and Galaxy Trucker.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Roll is exactly terrible. I have not played any of the Tiny Epics. Castle Panic is a pretty good fantasy themed game that plays solo. I haven't played it but I hear a lot of people say that Ghost Stories is a fantastic solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Green
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
psylina wrote:
That's a very good tip! (re dry erase markers).. Sorry i pressed reply and posted my message expecting it to pop up under the comment and not be appended to the bottom!

I did look at Elder Sign for a while but thought it might take up a lot of space?
back in my youth I had reams and reams of those fighting fantasy books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone. Damn I loved them.
You might just consider tracking down the ones you missed and playing those. There's others in the same genre (like Lone Wolf) or if you're interested in expanding to multiplayer, there's actually a Fighting Fantasy RPG that you could DM. For any of these you'll need to hop over to rpggeek.com.

I'll defend Dungeon Roll a little. It's definitely not a great game but the different characters are neat and the price point is low. It's no more random than Fighting Fantasy if that's your bar (though obviously the narrative is lacking). It's a casual dice chucking time waster. Considering how strict your wants are it's not a bad choice.

You might also consider Ascension: Deckbuilding Game or even the Ascension: Apprentice Edition if you're really tight on funds / space. (The Apprentice Edition won't include single player rules but should support it fine if you can track down the single player rules from the full game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Rissel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've never played Dungeon Roll, but I'm fond of TED. It is more of a puzzle than a game when played solo. Like a previous commenter noted, there is a bit of luck involved, but there are lots of decisions to be made and the consequences of your actions can lead you to success or crippling failure.

If you are looking to try something different, I'm enjoying Onirim's little brother Sylvion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention Onirim (second edition) and Sylvion both of which are small footprint solo games with a dreamy fantasy setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selina Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hmmm Onirim looks interesting - I think I prefer that artwork to Sylvion's. What are the gameplay differences between the two games?

They both seem quite quick (15 minutes or so)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
psylina wrote:
Hmmm Onirim looks interesting - I think I prefer that artwork to Sylvion's. What are the gameplay differences between the two games?

They both seem quite quick (15 minutes or so)?

I have not played either. I like solo games I just don't get a chance to play them. I believe Onirim is about trying to navigate through a dream, and Sylvion is more of a tower defense game where you are trying to prevent a forest from burning down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Flores
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally really enjoy playing Dungeon Roll solo. I like trying out the different characters and trying to beat my personal best.

I think it works for me because it emulates a fantasy RPG style video/tabletop game in a short amount of time, say around 15 minutes. Which sometimes is exactly what I want for a quick fantasy fix cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both dungeon roll and TED in my collection. I won't necessarily recommend one over another (why else am I keeping both ), but instead I'll share my experience with both games.

For me DR is an "okay" game: it's a relatively fun process, but there isn't much substantial decision making or push your luck in the game. However with some variants added I find the game a lot more pleasing. I even spent some hours tinkering & coming out with my own variant, so to me it's been a great sandbox game, and subsequently a significantly better game with the variant. Decisions still arent exactly hard, but theres more (& sometimes even gamechanging) with some interactions & more dice rolling. I like it quite well solo

As for TED, it's more of a puzzle type of game play. As you'll get to know the monster deck better as time goes, it becomes more of a "what can I do now that best deal with the current situation & prepare me for the remaining round", & the occasional "how much can I do efficiently before the risk of that one killing card coming out while im unprepares becomes too big". There's no hidden info so there might be a slight alpha gamer prob, but still I've run into multiple occasions of differing opinions. I've never played this one solo so can't comment on that.

Hope that helped you in your decision for a small and light game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about the availability of Dragon's Ransom where you are, but it looks to check off all your requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gideon Stargrave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get TED, it's awesome! My go-to Co-Op game at the moment, I love the classic, 1st Edition D&D style art. There is a ton of replayability!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon roll is the worst game I have ever played. Omnirim is also pretty bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryl Leon
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand all of the hatred for Dungeon Roll. I actually play it a lot more than I play Tiny Epic Defenders. It's just sort of a brainless game. But if you enjoy dice rolling games like a zombie dice or Martian Dice, it's a little like those but with more to it. Tiny epic Defenders is ok, but the theme of it bores me. It's very much like Forbidden Island type of game. And if you don't have Forbidden Island, I would recommend that over tiny epic Defenders any day. Way more bang for your buck. And its price point is great, usually about $15. And I like that much better than any of the dice rolling games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Here I was, thinking "how in the world has no one recommended One Deck Dungeon yet?"... and then I saw that the thread is from a year and a half ago. That 'splains it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watkins
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkroberts wrote:
Here I was, thinking "how in the world has no one recommended One Deck Dungeon yet?"... and then I saw that the thread is from a year and a half ago. That 'splains it.

Yeah, me too, then when I saw Star Realms recommended and not Hero Realms, I checked the date. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.