Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
For those who may have missed this, Decision have released their comprehensive update to the classic 1976 design helmed by Chris Perello with a revision of the four maps by Joe Youst (look great with no glaring yellows). There are lots of changes including an increase in distinct combat units/leaders from 578 to 1000+, with step losses rather than loss markers. The sequence of play is now symmetrical and the CRT has been simplified. Skirmishers are no longer completely separate from their parent unit. There are several new formations, HQs and fortunes of war. The Prussians have a variable entry chart and there are three learning scenarios. The rules are available at the Decision website and contain developer notes with a summary of the update changes. It continues to have the look and feel of the original but with significant streamlining.The infantry retain the familiar X but the cavalry now have a triangle rather than a diagonal line (which I have come to like). All the leaders have a man on a rearing horse icon which is a little odd (apparently for ease of recognition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Williams
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as I read this post I ordered WV from DG website on 17 July 2015.

Game arrived at front door on 4 August 2015 (USPS Priority Mail International Box, to Melbourne, Australia)

Hastily/Feverishly unwrapped the game and it's looking very nice indeed.

However, before I start posting pics and comments, is there going to be a separate BGG page for this new game, as it's not just a reprint but a definite reboot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Rob

Have submitted it to BGG as a new game but apparently takes several weeks to be vetted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Williams
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steveowen wrote:
Hi Rob

Have submitted it to BGG as a new game but apparently takes several weeks to be vetted.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. Wasn't sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Burgo
msg tools
mbmb
This game seriously needs a sound review, because from what I can tell, gamers are hesitant about buying it, including myself. If im going to spend $160 on a game, some serious info on the game play has to be available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Frank

I agree completely but we are looking at a recent release of a monster game on Waterloo. Mine arrived two days ago! Here's a run through of one of the learning scenarios by Nolan Hudgens on consimworld just to whet your appetite. I am sure he wouldn't mind me posting it here. I will also post some photographs of the game's components once I have approval of it's new game status.

WV2, Scenario 32.0, Travers' charge

Here's a slice of the action in the Charge scenario, involving the first turn attack against the hapless Luneburg battalion. The Hanoverians are in hex 2246, in Line. (one battalion with two counters) The French 2/13 brigade (corrected ID, assuming the errata is OK) is all in 2745, 4 squadrons in Close Column. [Steve: it wouldn't have been unusual for officers from one unit to ride with a different unit, especially colonels whose own unit was still holding back.]

1) The cavalry sends one 1- SP squadron to 2446, so as to exert a Reaction Zone west of the infantry and thus intercept any retreat that a Pursuit couldn't target. The other 3 squadrons (the 2-SP ones on top) and Travers move to Charge the Luneburgers. All the cavalry is still in Close Column. (The attack force uses its Leader bonus to reach its attack hex.)

2) The infantry soils its pants, and rolls to form square as a Reactive Formation Change. That calls for 3 Morale Checks: 2 for the change itself and one more because the cavalry is charging. A roll of 5/3/2 causes no step loss (it's not a combat roll) and one failure, or D1; the battalion changes to Square. Because it's treated as a single "unit" [multicounter infantry battalion, see 6.1] both counters are in square without the bottom counter needing to roll separately. Only the top counter is affected by the D1 result.

3) The infantry then makes Return Fire. It gets only 2 dice: 1 for Primary; 0 for size advantage [the cavalry is an 8 due to its charge, and the infantry is 4; also the cav could use its morale rating of 5+1 for Travers]; +2 for CCol; -1 for Sq; -1 for D1; and +1 for range. The roll of 5/4 has no effect except to force a leader loss check, which Travers passes with a 7.

4) The cavalry, being in Close Column, can use Wave Attack. The top squadron starts the ball by rolling 5 dice. +1 for Primary; +2 for size advantage [remember the special factor of 8, plus a 2 leader]; +2 for the CCol; -3 for Square; +1 for better morale (total of 6 with the leader); and +2 for charging. The result is (5/4/2/2/1). That causes a step loss and two failures, for a total D level of D3, all taken by the top counter. Since it's in Square, the infantry doesn't retreat as it would ordinarily with a D3 result. (the unit is marked D2) The first French squadron, having failed to dislodge the defenders, becomes D2 and goes to the bottom of its stack. That brings up the next squadron, also a 2-5-4 Cuirassier.

5) The second wave attack is just like the first, except that the cav must pass a morale check to start it. A roll of 4 is plenty. The combat roll is (4/4/3/3/3). That's enough for another step loss, and causes FIVE failures. (the top counter is a 4, reduced by its D2 status) That looks very grim. However the LUN is a multicounter inf btn, and so can assign the step loss to the bottom counter. That means the moral failures ALL apply to the top counter. It surrenders, which takes 3 of the D results. The other two D results have no effect. Since the top unit is NOT eliminated by the step loss (captured instead) the rule assigning leftover results down the stack [13.7A; B] doesn't apply. That leaves the bottom counter alone in the hex, but not D'd and still in Square. The Surrender gives the French player 2x FOW. The only use for these is to give morale checks to the defender. (The French can't use them to rally the D2 squadrons since they'd trigger Reaction Fire; even in its reduced state the square would shake 4 dice for that.) I'll assume the French waste these to no effect.

6) The last of the French Squadrons (a 1-5-4 Cu) then makes the third wave attack. Its special factor is only a 5, but with the leader (+2) it easily has the same strength advantage as the others. 5 dice tell the tale: (4/3/3/2/1). That's enough for a step loss, so that the doomed Luneburgers are eliminated. The French player decides to advance only with that single squadron. That leaves the other two free to Withdraw at the end of the shock sequence, using the supporting squadron to give them hexes adjacent to it as Safe Hexes.

That shows how vulnerable even units in Square can be. Remember that eliminated steps and counters can rejoin the game through the use of FOW's and command points, along with reorganization. Hence the Luneburgers aren't really dead. Not yet. (the POWs are out of the game) Call them zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Williams
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Frank,

Unfortunately, I'm a crappy writer of reviews, but if you haven't done it yet, I recommend you download a copy of the rules from the DG site and have a read of the 2-page Designer's Notes (by Chris Perello) near the end of the book. It should provide you with an overview of the major game changes.

I know it won't substitute for a good 3rd party review, but it's a start and will provide a quick rundown on the differences, with respect to the SPI version. For better or worse - is yet to be seen.

Cheers
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
There is now a new entry for this extensively redesigned game (Wellington's Victory 2nd edition) so please post your comments etc there. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p o
msg tools
mbmb
It's not Wellington's Victory it's a total redesign that completely alters the game. While it may be a great game, it's not WV period!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.