CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I love learning about people who are just so badass, and I learned about a new one today. Apparently, Leonardo Di Caprio is portraying a fur trapper by the name of Hugh Glass.

This guy, man, mauled by a bear and left for dead by his compatriots, hiked through 200 mile of wilderness with a broken leg and exposed ribs. Stopped his own flesh from going gangrene buy laying on a rotting log so the leeches would eat off the dead flesh.

Definitely a 21 point constitution. Save vs. Death +6. Rolled a damn natural 20.

Then spent the next year hunting down the men who ditched him and took his rifle.

He deserves a Hemingway High Five(Which probably consists of a boxing glove gut check)

Definitely will be seeing this film.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
...Stopped his own flesh from going gangrene buy laying on a rotting log so the leeches would eat off the dead flesh.

Not leeches, maggots. Leeches suck blood but don't eat rotting flesh; maggots can clean up a wound nicely if you have no other option.

Still a bad ass guy. Little known fact: His last name was pronounced "Chass", not "Glass."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Then spent the next year hunting down the men who ditched him and took his rifle.
wikipeida wrote:
After a long recuperation, Glass set out to track down and avenge himself against Bridger and Fitzgerald. When he found Bridger, on the Yellowstone near the mouth of the Bighorn River, Glass spared him, purportedly because of Bridger's youth. When he found Fitzgerald, he discovered that Fitzgerald had joined the United States Army, Glass purportedly restrained himself because the consequence of killing a U.S. soldier was death. However, he did recover his lost rifle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass

He let them go?? What a wuss! (Which I only say because he's long dead, otherwise I'd be terrified)

Actually that had to feel pretty good when they saw him and had that "Oh crap! I'm a dead man." moment. Throw in a "Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything to you... today. See you later" and it'd be priceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

Still a bad ass guy. Little known fact: His last name was pronounced "Chass", not "Glass."

Interesting... Hey, wait a minute!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
He might be a badass, but he ain't no guy on a buffalo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool story and sounds like the makings of an awesome movie...except for the worst casting ever.

I cannot suspend disbelief to see this guy as a badass:

Worst casting since:

"Let's get that guy who totally screwed up Daredevil. I bet he could play Batman..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There is another movie based upon this story, the 1971 film Man in the Wilderness, starring Richard Harris.

It's a good solid adventure movie, rated 6.9 on IMDb and 3 stars by Leonard Maltin, and well worth a viewing if you enjoy wilderness adventures, though it's certainly not for children.

It's the movie with the boat on wheels, if that rings a bell for anyone else trying to dig it out of dusty old memory banks.

cool

[microedit: extra "The" in movie title]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stalin shot Kirov right in the hallway
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lord_Prussian wrote:
Very cool story and sounds like the makings of an awesome movie...except for the worst casting ever.

I cannot suspend disbelief to see this guy as a badass:

I dunno, The Departed pretty well cured me of my Titanic-inspired Leo hate. Heck, even Matt Damon did a good job in that (albeit as a weasley piece of s*%$, so you could just chalk that up to casting)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
He let them go?? What a wuss! (Which I only say because he's long dead, otherwise I'd be terrified)

That just means you have Zombie Hugh Glass after you. Pleasant dreams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.