Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played a 3 player game of Chinatown and while I think we all enjoyed it, it was strange that once we revealed all of our shop tiles, we all just leaned over the table looking at what everyone had.

I felt like I was at a Math Trade because I would say, "why don't you give her your Tropical Fish, so she can give me the Antiques shop and I can trade this space for hers?"

Meanwhile, you can see that a person has two Restaurant tiles in their pile and you know if you trade with them, you will give them the final one they needed to complete it.

I don't know. It was fun but I felt like there was so much information out there, and very few surprises.

I'm wondering if you always keep all of your tiles revealed or if you only keep the number of tiles revealed that matches the RED number for that round. So by round five, you get four new tiles but you have 3 still from prior rounds maybe you can mix and match to keep some a secret? It just seems next to impossible to trade in the last couple rounds because people see what you have and can choose whether or not you can add to your businesses.

There has to be something we aren't doing right. Even Bohnanza has more build up to it when you are playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays much better with 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play with 4-5 next time, but also realize that it's a negotiation game. Yes, you will give someone the final building in their set for the right price. It sounds like you guys missed the point, not a rule!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, knowing that something is much more valuable to them than it is to you is leverage for trade.
And the surprising part is in how new locations and stores come out from year to year. You have to juggle whether it's worth building things now, or whether to risk a bigger payoff later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's okay, I'm
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try playing with your business tiles hidden.

Generally, you might want to use these variant rules here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1207563/incorrect-rules-mig...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
Even Bohnanza has more build up to it when you are playing.

We play Bohnanza open cards as well. But you could hide your tiles if you'd like, but I bet you'd be adding about 20 minutes to your play time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not a real person wrote:
Try playing with your business tiles hidden.

Generally, you might want to use these variant rules here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1207563/incorrect-rules-mig...

kendahlj wrote:
TWrecks wrote:
Even Bohnanza has more build up to it when you are playing.

We play Bohnanza open cards as well. But you could hide your tiles if you'd like, but I bet you'd be adding about 20 minutes to your play time.

We used the Westpark variant (from the above thread) and a 4-minute timer on negotiation for a 4-player game (so hiding tiles couldn't extend the game.) It worked really well, there was some suspense in the last round, and I won while being probably 75% open the entire game. The more open you were, the earlier you got deal offers I think - valuable w/a timed negotiating period. Keeping a few strategic hole tiles enabled surprise plays.

In addition, we played with the random business outlook cards, with the variant that the current one was flipped face-up after plots were claimed and before tiles were drawn, and went into effect as the first half of the income phase. The randomness tweaked the values just enough (and at levels where the lowest denomination of currency didn't allow players to split the difference) to make everything even more interesting, fueling a lot of multiparty trades. Loved them.

I ordered a set from Artscow when I had space left in another deck, but mocking them up is easy: just use regular playing cards using Ace, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, J, Q, K of one suit. Use 3 for a bonus payout of 10K (new edition) or 1K (old edition) for every 3 tile; 4, 5, and 6 for payouts on 4, 5, and 6 tiles; 7 for payouts on 3 tiles + 4 tiles (3+4=7); Ace for payouts on 5 tiles and 6 tiles (5+6=11); and include the three face cards for 'no bonus' (they took it!) This is vaguely remembered from another thread or a file from somewhere.

Also, 4 minutes seemed a good length for 4 players. One round even petered out before the timer was up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.