Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Reimann
United States
Acton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I just got this game, played it once and really liked it, but I am confused about whether being adjacent to your home superpower gives a +2 or a +1 modifieron realignment roles. The rules seem to indicate +2, but the example illustrates +1.

I am reading the 2nd edition rules.

2.1.5 states that the US and the Soviet Union "are considered 'adjacent controlled countries' for the purposes of events, and realignments"

and

6.2.2 states that you get
"+1 for each adjacent controlled country"
and
"+1 if your superpower is adjacent to your target country."

This seems to mean that the USSR should get a +2 on N. Korea because the USSR is both an adjacent controlled country and your superpower. (Why else would they call it out separately?) However, in the realignment role example, the USSR only gets +1 for being adjacent.

Which way is right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Superpowers are not considered normal countries because you can't play influence on them. That's why they are listed separately for modifiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theredwagoneer wrote:
Ok, I just got this game, played it once and really liked it, but I am confused about whether being adjacent to your home superpower gives a +2 or a +1 modifieron realignment roles. The rules seem to indicate +2, but the example illustrates +1.

I am reading the 2nd edition rules.

2.1.5 states that the US and the Soviet Union "are considered 'adjacent controlled countries' for the purposes of events, and realignments"

and

6.2.2 states that you get
"+1 for each adjacent controlled country"
and
"+1 if your superpower is adjacent to your target country."

This seems to mean that the USSR should get a +2 on N. Korea because the USSR is both an adjacent controlled country and your superpower. (Why else would they call it out separately?) However, in the realignment role example, the USSR only gets +1 for being adjacent.

Which way is right?

This issue came up when the wording of the rules was changed. The intention, AFAIK, is that it only be +1. Just treat the Superpower as a Country that is always controlled, and ignore the special modifier.

The rules had orginally been written with the +1 from the Superpower, and for each controlled country. But not all events (like Brush War) mentioned the Superpower modifier. When the wording of 2.1.5 was changed, the reference elsewhere was not changed.

The example at 6.2.2 is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.