Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm used to having four players, so this is a nice treat. On the other hand, I'm anticipating that two of the players will prefer games on the lighter end of the spectrum. Add to that the fact that I like playing multiple games in a night, so short is nice too. Here's what I have to choose from...

For Sale (we've played once before, so no teaching needed)
Hoity Toity
Paris Connection
The Resistance (this could either shine or bomb!)
Alhambra
Shadows over Camelot (might be a little long, but perhaps worth it)
Jamaica
Rise of Augustus
Lifeboats (too cutthroat for strangers?)
7 Wonders (with or without expansions?)

To recap: Nothing too complex, nothing too long. Thanks for your help, folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Paris Connection is really simple while being quite fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Augustus is quick, easy and a fun ice-breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmb
If these are your choices then:

For Sale is a great auction game that is a lot of fun, and if you know it and like it already, then go with this.

Hoity Toity is a game I've never played, but it does look like fun.

Paris Connection - no idea.

The Resistance I've never played. The Resistance: Avalon I own and love. Vanilla resistance seems like it would be boring. If you have Avalon, play that instead. I've also found that some people don't care for Avalon even, but really LOVE BANG! The Dice Game, which also has hidden roles, and hidden objectives, and character powers, but gives players more to do than just vote, i.e. they can roll dice.

Alhambra - buy a tile, place a tile, buy a tile, place a tile, Zzzzzzzz....

Shadows over Camelot may be too long as you say.

Jamaica is a great race game with some interaction. It's also so beautiful to look at, it's a real treat for the eye. This is a great choice.

Rise of Augustus just doesn't seem that fun. Sorry.

Lifeboats - if some of the people are new to you I'd feel them out before bringing out a game that could end the friendship before it begins.

7 Wonders is a game that I really hate. It's the worst card drafting game I've ever played. It's a mess, and unintuitive for new players. If you have it, break out Citadels instead!

In conclusion if you want some fun games to play go with For Sale, Hoity Toity (I guess), and Jamaica. You all should have a great time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Keyflower may be an option if you can get ahold of a copy before game night. The only drawback is that it might take too much time. (usually 90-120 minutes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
7 Wonders is a game that I really hate. It's the worst card drafting game I've ever played. It's a mess, and unintuitive for new players.

If I asked my previous game group, "Which one game, out of the masses of games that we've played, has been most universally loved by new players, most often requested, and most played?" Without a doubt, it'd be 7 Wonders (with Leaders and Cities). So that's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
If these are your choices then:

For Sale is a great auction game that is a lot of fun, and if you know it and like it already, then go with this.

Hoity Toity is a game I've never played, but it does look like fun.

Paris Connection - no idea.

The Resistance I've never played. The Resistance: Avalon I own and love. Vanilla resistance seems like it would be boring. If you have Avalon, play that instead. I've also found that some people don't care for Avalon even, but really LOVE BANG! The Dice Game, which also has hidden roles, and hidden objectives, and character powers, but gives players more to do than just vote, i.e. they can roll dice.

Alhambra - buy a tile, place a tile, buy a tile, place a tile, Zzzzzzzz....

Shadows over Camelot may be too long as you say.

Jamaica is a great race game with some interaction. It's also so beautiful to look at, it's a real treat for the eye. This is a great choice.

Rise of Augustus just doesn't seem that fun. Sorry.

Lifeboats - if some of the people are new to you I'd feel them out before bringing out a game that could end the friendship before it begins.

7 Wonders is a game that I really hate. It's the worst card drafting game I've ever played. It's a mess, and unintuitive for new players. If you have it, break out Citadels instead!

In conclusion if you want some fun games to play go with For Sale, Hoity Toity (I guess), and Jamaica. You all should have a great time!
Don't listen to this guy. 7 Wonders is perhaps the single most requested game of my friend and I's collective 150+ game collection for our variable 10+ person group on game nights.

edit: props to OP above me who said basically the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
while i agree that 7 wonders is a good game i don't actually find it particularly easy to teach to a large number of new people. i don't think anyone would describe science scoring as intuitive for instance.

i think i'd recommend starting with for sale and then if the group wants to mix it up perhaps then move to 7 wonders.

if you do go for 7 wonders, play the base game only. i honestly thinks it's best balanced this way but it certainly is easier to teach with only base. also if you are teaching it and have say 2 people that know it and 3 or 4 that don't, ask the people that know it to refrain from interrupting you, even if they think they are helping. i've found this frequently happens when teaching 7W as there's lots of room for side conversations with a group that large.

as long as new players understand that they will likely not understand 7W until after they've played a game, you should be ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm leaning towards For Sale, Paris Connection, and Hoity Toity. I'll probably grab Citadels too. And maybe Augustus too if I'm sensing that they need a super easy game.

Oops, and Jamaica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:
I'm leaning towards For Sale, Paris Connection, and Hoity Toity. I'll probably grab Citadels too. And maybe Augustus too if I'm sensing that they need a super easy game.

Oops, and Jamaica.

This sounds like a pretty good selection to me. Of your other games 7 Wonders should be OK (base only), but as others have said it can be a bit tricky for newer players (espeically if they haved played something like Settlers). Alhambra can play up to 6 but I wouldn't recommend it for 6 players - you can't plan very easily with that many players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.