Subject: Pizza Box Football vs. Battle Ball rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it worth having both of these? Major differences? Similarities?

I'll be using with 11 year old son and with fellow gamers.

Or different enough to own both?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The biggest similarity is that they both end in the word 'ball'.

Otherwise they're vastly different.

Pizza Box football is more abstract. You pick a play - your opponent picks a play - then through the magic of dice and charts you see how far you advanced (or didn't advance) the ball. Movement is recorded with pegs, showing the current line of scrimmage. I'd say it's a decent and fun simulation of an NFL game.

Battle Ball actually uses minatures. You roll dice and move them across the field trying to score a goal. It's more like soccer than American football. I believe the first one to score two points wins the game.

I happily own both. It's definitely not a case of I-Own-This-One-So-I-Don't-Need-That-One.

[update]: Oh, and I forgot to address the fact that you had an 11 year old. Battle Ball is absolutely more 11-yr-old-boy-friendly. The toy factor is high. You've got little monster robot players that can kill or be killed (and they even form road pizza, or, I suppose, FIELD pizza, when killed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Both games are fun, but an 11yr old will likely like battleball more. You get to beat up dad's guys and knock them out of the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!! You both answered my questions perfectly. If my wife doesn't kill me--I'll get both if I can find them cheap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merkles Boner wrote:
thanks!! You both answered my questions perfectly. If my wife doesn't kill me--I'll get both if I can find them cheap!

I often see Battleball available for about $5.00 at those toy liquidation stores at outlet malls. If you have a JCPenny's nearby, they'll probably have PBF for about $15. $20 for these two GREAT games is an awesome deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.