Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Korson
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Never trust the brute-force power of a computer network to do the job of a combinatorialist.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things are bothering me with the example that explains how the orange position group fires (page 13, Example 1).

First, the position group (hexes 0421 and 0422, labeled B8 and B9) is missing the dotted line connecting them. Which might lead one to believe they are two separate positions instead of a position group. The placement of the fire dots supports that they are in fact a position group though, so I think this is just an error on the map.

Secondly, I don't understand why only two of the three eligible units that are within the orange position group's fire arc take hits in the example. It says right at the beginning of the example (correctly) that the position group can hit up to three US units.

It then goes on to say B/1/5 gets hit (it's in an intense fire dot hex 0322), and HQ/1/5 does NOT take a hit (also in the intense fire dot, but the orange symbol on the card does not have the leader symbol. That's correct, and we have one hit unit so far.

The example then goes on to the steady fire hexes. There are four units in the orange position group's steady fire hexes. The tank unit (B/3 Amph) in hex 0320 isn't eligible (no armor hit bonus on the card). I think this should have been explicitly mentioned in the example, but it's not a big deal.

Infantry unit K/3/5 in the same hex as the tank unit is also not hit (has a triangle symbol, not a diamond), and also is not mentioned explicitly in the example.

That leaves the two infantry units in hex 0219. The example correctly points out that because the total number of steps is eight, both units are considered to match the card's target symbol, so both are eligible to be hit.

Here's the error: the example then says "The orange position group can hit just one of the two units." Why does it say that? The orange position group can hit THREE! units in total. It got one in hex 0322. With two more available hits, it should be able to hit BOTH C/1/5 and I/3/5 (per rule 6.37).

And all of these hit units should be disrupted. In the example, C/1/5 is chosen to take a hit, but is not also disrupted.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milton Duncan
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Andrew,

You are correct, the B8-B9 hexes comprise a 2 hex position and the dotted line between them is missing from the map.

Secondly, per rule 6.35, the two 4 step units in 0219 are a concentrated target and the steady fire hex should be treated as an intense fire hex. You are correct that both units should take a step loss. Further, you are correct that both units should be disrupted as the Japanese fire originated in a hex with an unrevealed Japanese unit.

These issues will be noted in errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Chi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification. I thought I was missing something too.

Now, to continue with p. 13, Example 1, Orange Position Japanese fires on US units...

Is not hex 0325 a steady fire hex for the orange position group?

Therefore, would not US unit K/3/7 be eligible to be hit? And according to the Japanese fire table, would this unit not be eligible to both lose a step and be disrupted?

However, since units B/1/5 + C/1/5 + I/3/5 have all taken step losses, the Japanese position cannot inflict a 4th step loss. That would exceed the three unit count in the position. HOWEVER, K/3/7 could and SHOULD be disrupted correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

In Example 1 the target card shows a diamond symbol so unit K/3/7 won't be hit.

If it had had a diamond symbol it would have been your choice which one of K/3/7, I/3/5 and C/I/5 that would take the hit.

Units that avoid step loss because of Japanese hit limits are entirely unaffected, never disrupted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Chi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you Martin. That makes sense. If the hit would exceed the limit, then it would be null and void, therefore no effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to ask about Example 2 on the same page.

How come the brown unit can deal damage to the tank when the brown symbol on the card has no armour symbol in it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

The tank is in an intense fire hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.