Subject: 1-Player Variant Ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, the original setup of this game is fantastic, and regardless of my variant, I still highly recommend playing the original rules, typically 4-5 players is my recommendation--however I also can see possibilities for a solo variant. I'm just going to run through some ideas and see if you all have any suggestions.

I have tried just playing one player, under the 3-player rules, I got through like 8 rounds and then died.

Where the problem seems to lie in a solo variant, is that this game is entirely themed on partial teamwork, partial individual, so just using 1 player was very boring to me. While the game did seem winnable, it just wasn't enjoyable. I have a few thoughts on how to handle this.

Option 1: The dummy player receives ALL of the blue cards, some attack, and some healing. Every card is directed at you. The one that changes your attack level is always changed to higher. If for example the blue card that says switch before reveal is played, you still switch the cards, thereby losing your turn. Also, potions are always directed at you, however, instead of dummy gaining 2 points, you take -1vp (either lose 1 of your tokens, or take a -1 from expansion or whatever method).

Option 2: No dummy player. Remove any cards that would be unnecessary (such as edge out). With remaining cards, make 3 separate piles: Action, Attack, and Healing.

Hand limit 10, start with zero.

Options for player:
1. Draw one of each type of card, end turn. Monster turn.
2. Draw 5 attack cards, end turn. Monster turn.
3. You may play two cards (attack or healing), followed by actions. (You may use 2 attacks to double strike the monster). Draw a card. Monster turn (Monster always attacks you, even if it specifies another intiative). Example: Play attack 10, and attack 50, use your action to increase the value of 10 to 20. Damage is now 70. Draw a card, and end your turn.

Goal for winning: 50 victory points. Or you could set up a general "how well did you do" thing like Hanabi did.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried option 2, and I have to say I enjoyed this a little better than using a dummy. I died around round 8, with about 13 prestige, but that was also due to having trap door and riddle room, as well as removing hate (for discarding no value attack card), and I also wound up getting medusa and continuously flipping heads about 8 times for the kill.

I almost feel like removing all the riders and stand-ins would make it a bit more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.