Subject: Expansion Combinations and Difficulty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Hart
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's widely accepted that the most difficult combination of expansions is Base + Forsaken Lore. I think it's almost as accepted, due to the inclusion of focus tokens, that the easiest combination is Base + Mountains of Madness. But how about the other combinations? Where do they rank for you in terms of difficulty?

(For the sake of clarity, Harder > Easier)

Poll
How do the combination of expansions rank in difficulty?
Base+FL > Base+FL+MM > Base > Base+MM
Base+FL > Base > Base+FL+MM > Base+MM
Other (explain)
      23 answers
Poll created by Raubythyme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious about this question, so I added a statistic to my EH spreadsheet that marks loss percent for both expansions.

Currently, the statistics are saying this about loss rates:

Base + FL (58 ± 3 %)
Base only (48 ± 2 %)
Base + MoM (42 ± 20 %)
Base + FL + MoM (41 ± 4 %)

Uncertainties are based on number of submitted games. Note the high uncertainty in the Base+MoM entry, which is based on the relatively low count of games. That said, noting that MoM makes the game easier, I suspect that the bottom two rows should be switched in reality.

Furthermore, it's abundantly clear that when both expansions are combined, MoM makes the game easier to a larger degree than FL makes it harder. I suspect this has to do with the relatively low chance that you'll play against Yig if the AO is chosen randomly. As a result, I have voted for your second option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hart
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that makes sense, though there isn't necessarily a causation between more recorded losses by the community and a more difficult experience. It could be that more "novices" play only the base game, and thus rack up more losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.