Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: It's conceivable that this post contains spoilers for Mission 2, although what occurred was a random event. Just use caution if you want to be absolutely sure that nothing is given away.

My first (actually third, as you can read here) squad was nearly annihilated in Mission 4. I decided to start again at Mission 1 with a brand new squad, hopefully with a bit better luck and strategy this time around.

Mission 1 went well for the new guys. Fairweather was incapped and died in transit to safety, but otherwise easy sailing.

Last night, Mission 2. Having played this once before, I knew a thing or two. I had excellent luck at various times in the mission. Fairweather's replacement, Foll, took a bullet in the head from a sniper, but everyone else was fine. We've got enough VPs to win and simply had to gather in the railway station.

Two squaddies have entered the station, and the remaining troops are in two stacks adjacent to the station. Literally two moves to end of the mission and no active Germans on the board. I'm feeling great. The men are laughing and smoking. Time for R&R, boys!

I move one stack into the station. An Event comes up. No big deal, these don't usually mean much. Roll the dice, check the paragraph. Haven't seen this one before.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Me-109 makes a strafing run.

Well, okay. Shouldn't be any problem. Roll dice... oh. that's right on top of my stack. Hrm. Okay.<getting a bit worried> Well everyone has LOS, so someone will become aware and get a good enough hit. Probably?

Roll some dice. Oh, crap. Only Grice and Harmon became aware. All my ace gunners failed their PC checks in a dramatic string of 8s and 9s. <now beginning to carefully check each die rolled to see if it can be counted as "cocked" and rerolled> Although Grice scores a hit, it fails to have any effect.

$#@&! Each soldier in the open is hit by heavy machinegun fire?! <This is where I'm seriously considering outright cheating. Going back in time. Saying this never happened. Reroll the event. I mean, c'mon! I was TWO MOVES away from winning and with a cleared board.>

Black is miraculously only incapped. Doak is killed outright. Collins rushes out into the street, cigarette long forgotten, and pulls Black to safety. He's badly wounded but will live.

I swear, if both Black and Doak had been killed, I likely would have cheated. But since the dice gods spared Black, I was able to keep my personal dignity and accept their will.

Onto Mission 3, with two new members: Dunn and Franks.

All praise the twin gods of d10, who are always and ever fair in the course of eternity. I am merely an instrument of their will. Amen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Fisher's back!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission 2 is, I think, the most variable in the base set. It can be a cakewalk or just as easily turn into a hornet's nest, and I've never really figured out what tips it one way versus another.

Mission 8 (I think -- whichever one gives you tank support) is the one that tempts me most to cheat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lederer
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to hold it together and soldier on! When I got strafed in that mission, one soldier hit the 109 but failed to penetrate, and I lost one soldier (KIA).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Are you sure it was an ME 109 I am sure I heard you say it was a Fokke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ah, Mission 2. Also where I learned about minefields the hard way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.