Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey hey. Some friends and I were playing some various dungeon crawl games. And have toyed around with the idea of maybe trying to create our own game or heavily modify some existing rule sets. What would be some things you wish were in existing games? Mechanisms, lore, theme... Etc etc. trying to crowd think and brain storm some ideas and concepts. Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Harry Potter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Skeletons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
A "puzzle" element. Doesn't have to RPG-deep or difficult, just something beside Explore/Kill/Loot/Level Up. Part of the challenge should be in deciding when to fight through, and when to take the advice of our hero, Brave Brave Sir Robin.

Straight Hack'n'Slash can get dull, since the character builds typically become more important than how well you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something more to do than just slaughter endless monsters. I like the genre, but it just gets old and boring to keep doing the same things as Hero Quest, just in more complex and fiddly ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
* Modular tile maps
* DM-free
* Single-character solo playable
* Quests (meaningful mission-oriented dungeon crawling)
* Traps, obstacles, NPCs, etc. -- more than just pure monster combat
* Party of adventurers can work together/help each other out--interactive, not just active player playing while others watch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have asked this in the design forums before:

Things you look for in a dungeon crawl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there are a lot of games putting fantasy and sci-fi tropes in sports (eg. Blood Bowl and Dreadball), I'd like to see more games taking the Xcrawl route and putting some sports themes in fantasy.

Are there any "team manager" games for dungeon crawls? I'm pretty sure there are video games, but what about boardgames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wh 40k theme. Modular board. Squadbased. Add to that rules to lvl up between missions. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludstifer wrote:
Wh 40k theme. Modular board. Squadbased. Add to that rules to lvl up between missions. meeple

Space Crusade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NOT hit points! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Wunderlin
United States
Sylvania
oh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
* Modular tile maps
* DM-free
* Single-character solo playable
* Quests (meaningful mission-oriented dungeon crawling)
* Traps, obstacles, NPCs, etc. -- more than just pure monster combat
* Party of adventurers can work together/help each other out--interactive, not just active player playing while others watch

All of this, plus character progression both in session and across multiple sessions (carrying over progress from game-to-game)

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PandoraCaitiff wrote:
Ludstifer wrote:

Space Crusade?

Yeah, sort of. I didn't know abt that one. Thanks^^ I would love to use my 40k army, though squad size, in to à dungeon crawl game set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of monster, hero and item variety. A campaign system and miniatures are always a bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a dungeon management style game, where you play the dungeon residents, like Dungeon Lords only more in the tradition of miniatures/dungeon crawls/small unit tactics games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Traps
Modular board
Knight style heroes, and plenty of them
Don't bother with levelling up unless you have a campaign structure to the game. Even then, how many dungeons can you have in a board game and keep things fresh?
No dice, combat should be purely tactical, so card play is good for this. Maybe a combat event deck.
Miniatures are much more immersive.
Load out your characters with kickass swords, hammers and axes, aka Diablo 3
Story driven.
The undead has been done, create original monsters and get a dark souls vibe to it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Whisenhunt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Let me tell you about my boat.
mbmbmbmbmb
better mechanisms than most have (by that I mean euro stuff, and/or iPad or some other way to handle "events"), plus robust solo play. Also, some different themes. Scooby Doo, Harry Potter, random private investigator, Goonies, whatever. There must be more out there than D&D and Cthulu, but you wouldn't know it looking at most current offerings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KamikazeJohnson wrote:
A "puzzle" element. Doesn't have to RPG-deep or difficult, just something beside Explore/Kill/Loot/Level Up. Part of the challenge should be in deciding when to fight through, and when to take the advice of our hero, Brave Brave Sir Robin.

Straight Hack'n'Slash can get dull, since the character builds typically become more important than how well you play.

To add to this point, I would love a puzzle system that allows separate solutions from different character types. I loved playing an old computer game (So You Want to be a Hero), which had several points where your character had to solve a problem in way that was dependant upon the character class and skills you had selected at the start. The fighter class could lift/throw/fight for a solution, the magic user had to find/buy/win scrolls to learn the right spell, and a thief could sneak/steal/do acrobatic feats to pass. Plus each character had a side quest that only one class could complete.

Obviously, having a computer program running acts like a GM, so implementation is much harder in a boardgame without a GM, but I would love to play a game that could do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
tywhiz wrote:
better mechanisms than most have (by that I mean euro stuff, and/or iPad or some other way to handle "events"), plus robust solo play. Also, some different themes. Scooby Doo, Harry Potter, random private investigator, Goonies, whatever. There must be more out there than D&D and Cthulu, but you wouldn't know it looking at most current offerings.

A tually a very good point...it's usually taken for granted that a "dungeon crawl" involves hacking through "monsters" of some variety. But really, the essence of s Dungeon Crawl is exploring a maze (usually multi-level) to reach a certain goal, such as Escape, Find Item(s), Kill Boss Character, etc. This can be achieved in pretty much any theme...it can work perfectmy fine without a sword or monster to be seen.

OTOH, the Monster Hack theme is the most recognized, and probably the theme most likely to draw the crowds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lots of options for "Classes" depending on theme. Examples:

1) Fighter, Priest, Wizard, Thief
2) Marine, Commando, Engineer, Sniper
3) Professor, Cop, Old Woman, Street Kid
4) Brain, Athlete, Basket Case, Princess, Criminal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see mashups...
A band consisting of Space Marines, Protoss Zealots, a Paladin, Hello Kitty, Paladin, and some monk who channels wind into his sword

vs.

Mephisto (Lord of Hatred), Resident Evil zombies, steampunk mercenaries, Cylon Centurions, and Trade Federation Droidekas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riddlebox85 wrote:
Harry Potter.
We are well overdue for Harry Potter games that don't suck.

Pete (had to "fix" Hogwarts: House Cup Challenge to make it halfway decent)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimrod Becker
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More strategy than just slaughtering endless hordes and looting their treasures .

Dungeon Crawlers which are not, well, in a dungeon forests, city streets settings etc.

Maybe more environmental affects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.