Forbidden Stars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing Using upgraded orders? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
joe sedita
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Corsair raid is an upgraded advance order that says "After you resolve a combat while resolving this order, you may perform one orbital strike..."

What does 'this order' mean? Does this mean any advance, or 'this' particular, declared advance?

If it's the former, you can choose to do the strike after the battle finishes. If it's the latter, you must declare immediately upon revealing the advance if it is to be a Corsair raid or not.

To me it seems strange that my opponent could advance normally and then say, okay I won the battle so I raid, as opposed to having to use the upgraded order as soon as he declares that advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Degtyarenko
msg tools
mmm i dont want to be rude but did you read text on order cards? Each of then states time of usage.
For example Strafing run. You can use it during orbital strike. Orbital strike happens only if during advance order contested area was not created and there was no fight.
How exactly he can use that upgrade if it requires orbital strike to happen and he already fought that round?

Could you spare more details on your case?

edit.
As said on corsair raid;s card you can do orbital strike after you resolved advance order. He only declares usage of that order right after battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Joe and Kevin point out below, this answer totally overlooks the once-per-round caveat!

I don't think it's explicitly spelled out in the rules, but let us imagine that it was your way:

With Corsair Raid, since he may (not 'must') launch an orbital strike after a combat, there is absolutely no reason to not use it with every attack. Which means that your opponent now must remember to say the same thing every time he attacks otherwise you'll sting him on a technicality.

Chanting rote phrases is for the Space Marines...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe sedita
United States
New York
flag msg tools
But there would be a reason, which is you can only do it once a round, know what I mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H
msg tools
happy nonetheless
badge
proud while playing
mb
Plum wrote:
With Corsair Raid, since he may (not 'must') launch an orbital strike after a combat, there is absolutely no reason to not use it with every attack.

The phrasing makes my brain fry

The Rules Reference, page 10, Order Upgrade Cards, 4th bullet;
"When a player resolves an order, if he has an upgrade card that matches the order he is resolving, he may choose to resolve the cards effect".

Ergo, he can decide if he want's to "corsair raid" or not.
If someone used the Order Upgrade, tap it (for 1 blue mana ) or put it face down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh good point Kevin - I forgot that most (all?) order upgrades are once per round, which does make the OP's question more relevant. Mea culpa!

Edit: Oops, Joe also said the same right before!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.