Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Percan
Sweden
Malmö
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I visited the local IKEA yesterday and spotted the TJENA paper box. I knew it would be handy for storing my board gaming stuff so I bought a couple. This is what I came up with:

From above

On the shelf in the living room:

I guess I need to buy more Coloretto sized games so I can use the other IKEA box as well whistle

Edit: Fun fact about the name of the box. "Tjena" is a casual way of saying "hi" in swedish. Something like "howdy" or "hey".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Hill
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful, I love IKEA. Beautiful, comprehensive, modern furniture for a good price! Really like what you did with the IKEA products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Cheney
United Kingdom
derby
derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooooh tempting, I carry my games to the monthly event I run and they'd be perfect to take them down in, maybe worth battling into Ikea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shrimkle wrote:
ooooh tempting, I carry my games to the monthly event I run and they'd be perfect to take them down in, maybe worth battling into Ikea
For a bonus, check out the frozen crepes if they have them there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony reiter
United States
salt lake city
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swedish pancakes! Almost as good as my Mum's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, I do have quite a few of those little boxes... thanks for the tip!

Edit: I see you're actually in Sweden! I'm really curious what the differences between Ikea stores in Sweden and elsewhere are, I must admit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thinker800 wrote:
Beautiful, I love IKEA. Beautiful, comprehensive, modern furniture for a good price! Really like what you did with the IKEA products.

They are pretty awesome, and I’m not just saying that as a Swede. Besides, being a fan of another Scandinavian invention, LEGO, I sort of like putting my own furniture together. It’s basically LEGO for grown-ups
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
avenues wrote:
Swedish pancakes! Almost as good as my Mum's.

Nom nom indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallboy wrote:
shrimkle wrote:
For a bonus, check out the frozen crepes if they have them there.

If? Don't tell me there are IKEA stores which don't have them? shake Everybody in the whole wide world seem to like pancakes...

I know that I always end up buying a few bags of those whenever I'm there. They're so good it's no point in making my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
The storage solution is neat.

But why would someone buy frozen crepes/pancakes? surprise You just need 5 or 6 ingredients, mix them and put them in a pan. No magic involved and I guess you have to pan-fry the frozen ones too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
Ooh, I do have quite a few of those little boxes... thanks for the tip!

Edit: I see you're actually in Sweden! I'm really curious what the differences between Ikea stores in Sweden and elsewhere are, I must admit.

Shhh! We try to keep what’s in the stores here a well-guarded secret, beyond the reach of non-native meatball Vikings. You need to be of pure heart and know the secret Swedish handshake in order to pass through the gates to gaze upon the untold wonders inside!

To be honest, I really don’t know if there is a difference since I’ve never been to an IKEA store abroad. Maybe somebody else knows? From what I understand, for Swedes living in other countries IKEA tends to become an oasis for whenever you get homesick. Just seeing the letters åäö and eating Swedish pancakes, caviar and meatballs can be a lifesaver. Well, not eating them all together as one meal. We’re not that weird

I’ve been plenty of times to the original store though in a small village, since I come from that neck of the woods. It used to be a bit different, but a year or two ago they built a much bigger store instead which resembles the others more. It’s kind of interesting going there, because you drive through miles and miles of forest and then all of a sudden there’s a glade with a huge, colourful, lit IKEA store in the middle of nowhere. Makes me somehow think of Santa’s workshop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
The storage solution is neat.

But why would someone buy frozen crepes/pancakes? surprise You just need 5 or 6 ingredients, mix them and put them in a pan. No magic involved and I guess you have to pan-fry the frozen ones too.

The thing is, these particular frozen ones taste about as good as the homemade thing, and you only have to heat them in the micro so it’s very convenient. They’ve also been good at freezing them one by one, making it easy to remove as many or as few as you want from the bag every time without having to break a solid “pancake block” apart first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, I'm becoming all IKEA patriotic here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
My brain read that as Zooloretto-sized, so I thought you were talking about the big square boxes. I thought that looked like a giant box, then I thought you had a gargantuan-sized cabinet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GABRIEL
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Five cents, please," his front door said when he tried to open it. The toll door had an innate stubborness to it... UBIK
mbmbmbmbmb
UCP Boardgamer wrote:

Just seeing the letters åäö and eating Swedish pancakes, caviar and meatballs can be a lifesaver. Well, not eating them all together as one meal. We’re not that weird

I am! Bring me a plateful! OM NOM NOM laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have cabinets for our games, and two of them are actually "china cabinets" from IKEA. The small card games stash beautifully in the cutlery drawers (as do any ziplock bags that haven't been used yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Percan
Sweden
Malmö
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have pics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UCP Boardgamer wrote:
thinker800 wrote:

They are pretty awesome, and I’m not just saying that as a Swede. Besides, being a fan of another Scandinavian invention, LEGO,

Lego is a copy of a previous British toy the rather boringly named Interlocking Building Cube which had a British patent 9 years before Lego - but these were much bigger. The smaller blocks (in the familiar 2x4 config), the Self-Locking Building Brick, was patented in 1947 still 2 years before Lego.

See http://www.brickfetish.com/timeline/1947.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
UCP Boardgamer wrote:
thinker800 wrote:

They are pretty awesome, and I’m not just saying that as a Swede. Besides, being a fan of another Scandinavian invention, LEGO,

Lego is a copy of a previous British toy the rather boringly named Interlocking Building Cube which had a British patent 9 years before Lego - but these were much bigger. The smaller blocks (in the familiar 2x4 config), the Self-Locking Building Brick, was patented in 1947 still 2 years before Lego.

See http://www.brickfetish.com/timeline/1947.html

It is indeed true that Lego is a modified version of the Self-Locking Brick from Kiddicraft, but I believe that the ones you mentioned were copies themselves of the American Bild-o-Brik, which is the earliest toy I know of in the category “interlocking bricks with moulded studs on the surface made from petroleum-based polymers” or whatever it should be called
It’s been a rather quick evolution and lots of “borrowing” from one another’s designs:

Bild-O-Brik (1932, patent 1934), Ernest E Tompkins

Minibrix (1935), Arnold Levy

Bri-Plax Toy Building Blocks (patent 1939) KiddiCraft Self Locking Bricks (1946), Hilary Page

Automatic Binding Bricks (1949), Ole Kirk Christiansen followed by the modern Lego brick (1958), Godtfred Kirk Christiansen

…and then a whole bunch of later competitors such as Mega Bloks, Best-Lock, Kre-O etc

I think the main difference has been a slight change in material and precision through the years as better options have become available, but the basic design hasn’t changed much. So there hasn’t been a lack of “sources for inspiration”, that’s for sure. Does anybody know of an even earlier toy in this category than Bild-O-Brik?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
No magic involved and I guess you have to pan-fry the frozen ones too.
Nope, just take them from the packet and microwave them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
tallboy wrote:
jorl wrote:
No magic involved and I guess you have to pan-fry the frozen ones too.
Nope, just take them from the packet and microwave them.

So no chance of getting them crispy. shake
Different strokes for different folks. I like my meal as freshly cooked as I can get it. Maybe if I had no family I would see this a bit different (I know that I'm lazy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip. I always find IKEA a bit of a challenge, though. It's like Hotel Califonia, you can check in anytime you want, but you an nevet leave !!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saw this a while back and just spent the last hour trying to find the thread again *do'h!*

thanks for sharing, exactly what I was after - solution to small card games after the big ones are all sorted on shelves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.