brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal Ladder Tourney Round 2 - Game 2
Scenario: 17a: St. Lo (Attack on Hill 192)

ColtsFan76 vs. tank commander

Yet another frustrating start to the game. In our last match-up, my dice rolled poorly and “tank commander (TC)” couldn’t miss. He pulled great cards and I felt my back was to the wall the entire game. I managed to keep even and match medal for medal, but the game ended with his triumph over the axis 6-5.

We met on vassal today to finish the match. TC outmaneuvered all my initial advances. My focus on the right flank failed. It was déjà vu all over again as john pulled another Ambush and it worked in the same way as our last game. I was left to deal with the left flank until I could string together another attack on the right. The left stalled also and I was looking at a 0-4 start with pending defeat.

I took a breather and moved a lone center infantry to the first forest hex straddling onto the right flank. I was able to pull two cards and hoped to redefine my strategy. Also, with a 5th unit on the right, I wanted to get ready for the Left Assault card I had pulled earlier.

I positioned my units around Kraut Corner with the anticipation of using the Their Finest Hour card I had pulled in the initial draw of cards. I lucked out and was able to activate all 6 units - 3 infantry, 2 armor, and my artillery. Though my initial plan failed when the wrong unit retreated and the right stayed put. But I grabbed two medals and the Axis Right flank was finally silenced.

With my units in position, I played my Direct From HQ and cleaned up the leftovers and tied the score 4-4. After this I pulled another Counter Attack card just before john played a Right Assault card. His two units only managed to take one hit and I sighed with relief. I countered and brought 4 units into firing range. With his weakened artillery, I hoped to gain a medal there. But my infantry in the woods and my artillery missed on all 3 dice rolls. My other infantry attacked his sandbagged unit on the hill and also rolled blanks. Finally my armor was able to finish him off and also bring the artillery into my sights. I had hoped to seal the victory here. Yet again, I rolled blanks on the artillery and the score came to 5-4.

With pretty healthy units, only two enemy units in range, and two right flank cards, I knew I needed to just survive the next round and capture the towns. I also knew TC was trying to match our previous game and even the series to 11-11. The attack produced one flag and no damage. On the next turn, I was able to send my infantry and armor into the town and hill to capture the remaining medals for victory.

It was another hard-fought intense game in the latest Vassal tourney. He took the first one 6-5 as the allies and I countered with a 6-4 win with them. The second round of the tournament stands at 11-10. Great series TC!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.