Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After several weeks of of being apart due to fighting, Marvel's First Family, the Fantastic Four, are trying to put aside their differences to take a threat that they have faced before: Galactus. However will they be enough to take down the likes of Galactus in spite of their falling out weeks prior? Or will their inner family squabble spell the doom for them and all of mankind?

1-Player
Expansions you will need to play: Fantastic Four, Dark City, Guardians of the Galaxy (Optional)
Scheme: Superhero Civil War
Mastermind: Galactus
Henchmen: Phalanx
Villain(s): Heralds of Galactus
Heroes: Human Torch, Invisible Woman, Mr. Fantastic, The Thing
Special: Final Blow: You must hit Galactus 5 times rather than the 4.

2-Player
Scheme: Superhero Civil War
Mastermind: Galactus
Henchmen: Phalanx
Villain(s): Heralds of Galactus, Skrulls
Heroes: Human Torch, Invisible Woman, Mr. Fantastic, The Thing
Special: Final Blow: You must hit Galactus 5 times rather than the 4.

3-Players
Added Villain(s): Enemies of Asgard
Add Hero: Silver Surfer

4-Players
Added Villain(s): Enemies of Asgard
Added Henchmen: Doom Bots Legion
Add Hero: Silver Surfer

5-Players
Added Villains: Enemies of Asgard, Kree
Added Henchmen: Doom Bots Legion
Add Heroes: Silver Surfer and Your Choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo

Mikeevoy
Game 1: Good Won!
Player 1: 46

Michaeljb
Game 1: Evil Won!
Player 1: 5
Game 2: Good Won!
Player 1: 81

Dolemitesooner
Game 2: Good Won!

Mkrebs
Game 1-4: Evil won!
Game 5: Good won!
Player 1: 25

Dachamp
Player 1: 8

Golden Solo

TheDaninBlack
Player 1: 36

TybaltGray
Player 1: 28

2-Players

Alphasilvr

The_Programmer
Player 1 (Kim): 21
Player 2 (Ant): 63

Ovidutz
Game 2: Evil Won!
Game 3: Evil Won!
Game 4: Good Won!
Player 1 (Ovi): 50
Player 2 (Wife): 22
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barely won that one.

1 player Won : 46 VP

turns: 19 turns

villains escaped: 5, 2 bystanders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many twists in the villain deck?

The rules say it doesn't work as a solo scheme and the scheme card itself doesn't say how many for solo...

Does it play ok as a solo scheme after all and if so do we need to tweak it to make it work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickey Stirrups wrote:
How many twists in the villain deck?

The rules say it doesn't work as a solo scheme and the scheme card itself doesn't say how many for solo...

Does it play ok as a solo scheme after all and if so do we need to tweak it to make it work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You include 8 Scheme Twists and only change to 5 for 4-5 players.

And it does play really well as a solo game as long as you have 4 heroes instead of 3. I have tested it several times just to make sure and I had lost once to the Mastermind ability, lost once to the Scheme, and I won one. So it should provide plenty of challenge in order to make a good Challenge. Test it out and see for yourself.

Hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you kindly - looking forward to giving this a go tonight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm an old friend of Xanderrrr's
badge
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - S5E20
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Solo Mode

Game 1: Evil wins. Galactus destroyed the city on turn 11, I only had 5 VP (Firelord and Phalanx)

Game 2: Good wins! 56 VP in the Victory Pile after 15 turns, with only 2 destroyed city spaces. My final deck was just 14 cards, including just 1 starting card and all 5 copies of Mr. Fantastic's Unstable Molecules. Only 8 cards left in the Hero Deck with 2 more Twists left in the Villain Deck. No Villains escaped.

That was a tough! Thanks for posting this.

edit: Realized (before I cleaned up, thankfully) that I didn't do the Final Blow in my second attempt...on the next turn, I was able to recruit and play another It Started on Yancy Street and a Crime Stopper, enabling me to rescue some Bystanders and wipe out the 3 Villains in the City, in addition to delivering the Final Blow to Galactus.

Game 2: Good won!
16 turns
Victory Pile: 81 VP
Escaped Villains: Terrax the Tamer
Final Deck:
- 5x Mr. Fantastic Unstable Molecules
- 2x Thing It Started on Yancy Streety
- 2x Thing Knuckle Sandwich
- 1 Thing Crime Stopper
- 1 Human Torch Call for Backup
- 1 Human Torch Hothead
- 1 Human Torch Nova Flame
- 1 Invisible Woman Four of a Kind
- 1 Invisible Woman Disappearing Act

edit: added note that my score was just points in the Victory Pile, I forgot about deducting points for Twists, Escaped Villains, and Bystanders that were carried away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Hartless
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played GALACTUS for the first time in that one. I think I choose a bad strategy. I am going to change it up in this new game. I lost to Twists. Chewed up my Hero Deck.

Game 1 : EVIL WON!
Single Player
Turn 19
46 VPs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Hartless
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unstable molecules and One Gigantic Hand just pimp slammed Galactus.

Game 2:
Single Player

GOOD WINS!
Turns: 17
VP: 46
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really look forward to join these challenges. However, for now I own only base game and Dark City expansion and I have a suggestion: would it be possible to include info about which expansions are required for the challenge in the first post (at least in the future). It would really make it easier for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question for 1-player gamers: do you prefer Advanced solo rules (Dark City official) or Golden Solo Ruleset (BGG variant)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alkemist wrote:
Question for 1-player gamers: do you prefer Advanced solo rules (Dark City official) or Golden Solo Ruleset (BGG variant)?

I am not picky. If you really like the Golden Solo Ruleset, by all means use them. I create a second category for it, for people who enjoy that version. I, myself, play the Dark City official rules because I like to use as much of the official things as possible, but to me the most important thing is to have fun with it. So if there is a challenge that you want to do that mostly consists of the Base and Dark City feel free to substitute the heroes you don't have for heroes you do. Just add in your post that you substituted one Hero for another. No worries.

Quote:
I really look forward to join these challenges. However, for now I own only base game and Dark City expansion and I have a suggestion: would it be possible to include info about which expansions are required for the challenge in the first post (at least in the future). It would really make it easier for new players.

Yeah, no problem. Some time this week when I find the time I will go through the challenges and add a note to each one for what expansions you might need to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolemitesooner wrote:
Unstable molecules and One Gigantic Hand just pimp slammed Galactus.

Game 2:
Single Player

GOOD WINS!
Turns: 17
VP: 46

Haha, it is funny that you had won and lost and both times had the exact same points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Hartless
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that is odd. In the game were evil won I killed just about every Heard but only hit Galactus twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alkemist wrote:

All right I have gone back through previous posts and moving forward added what expansions should be needed to play. Also, feel free to replace heroes or villains you do not have with ones that you do. Just indicate that you did a substitute for one hero to another or one villain to another and I will mark it in the entry for your stats. Moving forward we will probably see less use of the FF due to its difficulty. I just hope the rumor going around that we might see a comeback for the FF in the future. They are an important part of Marvel's History.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wooooooooo!

I loooooooove the F4. Played it Golden Solo. My strategy? Thing's recruit common, Invisible woman KO common, some draw cards from Reed, and the Ultimate Nullifier.

One more scheme twist and I was toast, but again, my strategy was to stick to deck building recruit instead of attack. With tons of Recruit, I could always recruit what I wanted and convert it to attack w/ the Thing if need be.

Sadly, I only had 36 points in my VP because I pretty much stuck to hitting Galactus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
Wooooooooo!

I loooooooove the F4. Played it Golden Solo. My strategy? Thing's recruit common, Invisible woman KO common, some draw cards from Reed, and the Ultimate Nullifier.

One more scheme twist and I was toast, but again, my strategy was to stick to deck building recruit instead of attack. With tons of Recruit, I could always recruit what I wanted and convert it to attack w/ the Thing if need be.

Sadly, I only had 36 points in my VP because I pretty much stuck to hitting Galactus.

Seems to be a good strategy, but it does seem to cut you close each time. heh heh heh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Fetter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got to play.
It was my wife and I.

I focused on Instinct and Covert.
My wife took Strength and Ranged.

I ended up with a couple of Mr. Fantastic Tech, but he either didn't show much or got KO'd due to Scheme Twists. I did get MF's Rare and played him once but was still short of Galactus by 3 Attack.

In the end, we ended with 2 Master Strikes played and 7 Scheme Twists that emptied the Hero Deck. IN all, we played about 8-9 rounds (16-18 turns), so it was a very short game with the Scheme Twists showing up so often.

We lost, but we learned we like these setup games instead of random.

We may try again later.

Thanks!

(We forgot to score. )

EDIT:

One thing I learned about my deck being mostly recruit... I could recruit anything that showed up and stayed around long enough... but without either Thing or Human Torch to convert that Recruit into Attack, I could do very little to the board itself. One turn I even recruited 6 New Recruits just to do something with the 13 recruit I had and couldn't use against the villains or Galactus. (The Hero deck would have emptied if I recruited anymore HQ heroes.) So each person taking a couple of Thing's commons is given a +1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed it. I am having a good time trying to create them and it feels good when people let me know they are having fun with it. It makes it all worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Krebsy

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This was a tough one! Evil won 4 times before I finally beat Galactus. Usually it was the Master Strikes destroying the city. The strategy I had to employ was to recruit cards with the same symbol (hero class), and not because they combo well together.

Advanced Solo: Good wins! (on the 5th try)
18 turns
25 points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Williams
United Kingdom
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 players
Good wins
Player 1 (Kim): 21
Player 2 (me): 63

That was fun. I had a lean deck at the end - on my final turn I had more "draw cards" from Mr Fantastic than I had cards left in my deck, and no shield heroes. Only one scheme twist away from losing though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ovi Matteo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Players
Game 2: Evil Won!
Game 3: Evil Won!
This is the first of these challenges when we were never even close to winning However it was a lot of fun as we laughed on one another on how bad we suck.

We barely hit Galactus once each game. We always ended with a lot of recruit in our hands and a very low amount of attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kassler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough one!

Played Golden Solo: Evil Won!

One city space destroyed, I managed to hit Galactus 3 times by concentrating on Human Torch and Sue.

However, bunch of twists all in a row, followed by a couple escapees put the nail in this coffin, as we ran out of the hero deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ovi Matteo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Players

Game 4: Good wins!

Me: 50
Wife: 22

I managed to defeat Galactus 3 times in one turn. In the previous turn I made 17 recruit which I used to focus drawing 8 cards in the next turn.

I managed to draw my entire hand and with the help of One Gigantic Hand x2 I achieved a whopping 66 attack. I didn't even need to activate the cosmic threat ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solo
turn = 14
escape =2
st = 6
vp = 56
10 cards left in hero deck
4/5 master stikes

score = 36

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.