Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Booth
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been watching a bunch of video reviews and tutorials on this game and almost everyone of them has gotten something glaringly wrong. It's really pushing me to make my own video. The basic rules are so easy I'm not sure why they are so hard for these grizzled veterans to get right. Oh well, still love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nafmi Sanichar - van Herwijnen
Netherlands
Weesp
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Tom Vasel get it wrong as well? I remember his review to being really positive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theericbooth wrote:
I've been watching a bunch of video reviews and tutorials on this game and almost everyone of them has gotten something glaringly wrong. It's really pushing me to make my own video. The basic rules are so easy I'm not sure why they are so hard for these grizzled veterans to get right. Oh well, still love the game.

Something specific you are referring to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theericbooth wrote:

What did I get wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Booth
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawing from the wrong deck. Getting bidding wrong. Explaining the infinite gems incorrectly. Cost to put cards on pyramid. Rewards for putting cards on pyramid. End game scoring and so on. No I think Tom got it right. Sorry for the rant just seems some people are rushing reviews on the new Hotness games and really screwing them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Booth
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
theericbooth wrote:

What did I get wrong?

Out of all the ones I've watched you seem to be right on the money. Of course most of your videos are spot on. Your emphasis on NOT drawing cards from the tall stack is one that is missing from almost all other vids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviews aren't aimed at teaching the game. They're attempting to give an overview, which they've all done pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Reviews aren't aimed at teaching the game. They're attempting to give an overview, which they've all done pretty well.

It depends on the video. On my channel, The Game Explainer, I specifically don't review games. Instead, I give a detailed rules tutorial, with some game play as necessary to help explain the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
reddish22 wrote:

It depends on the video. On my channel, The Game Explainer, I specifically don't review games. Instead, I give a detailed rules tutorial, with some game play as necessary to help explain the rules.

That's great, but I said reviews. Reviews aren't aimed at teaching - those are more along the lines you've described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:

Sure, I get what you're saying, but if a reviewer isn't even playing the game correctly, it could lead to a review that doesn't give a game a fair assessment. I've seen some rather prominent reviewers down a game when a significant part of what they didn't like was a result of playing the game incorrectly (not saying that's the case here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theericbooth wrote:
Grumsh wrote:
theericbooth wrote:

What did I get wrong?

Out of all the ones I've watched you seem to be right on the money. Of course most of your videos are spot on. Your emphasis on NOT drawing cards from the tall stack is one that is missing from almost all other vids.

Awesome to hear! I always panic when I hear about possible rules mistakes! I try really hard to be as accurate as possible, especially since it can be the difference between a good or bad game experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surge1000 wrote:
reddish22 wrote:

Sure, I get what you're saying, but if a reviewer isn't even playing the game correctly, it could lead to a review that doesn't give a game a fair assessment. I've seen some rather prominent reviewers down a game when a significant part of what they didn't like was a result of playing the game incorrectly (not saying that's the case here).

Oh I agree. This isn't the case here. The OP is focusing on not mentioning something not necessary for an overview.

I actually think having a few really big basically full-time reviewers actually hurts the hobby in a lot of ways. So I agree that there are problems that can arise, but I think using something not for the use its created for and then complaining is out of line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theericbooth wrote:
No I think Tom got it right.

Actually, Tom got "painting" wrong. The rulebook states that there are four parts to painting. Tom painted an upper circle with only one gem, where it should have needed two.

All that said, the videos still make learning the game much easier. One just has to realize that the reviewers are not gaming gods, and they can (and do) get things wrong. So, the rulebook is the ultimate authority. Yet reviewers give a great visual on how the games are played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification on gem painting - I had been playing it wrong like Tom, but now I look at the rules again, its there in black and white! doh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Laubender
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbat00 wrote:
Actually, Tom got "painting" wrong. The rulebook states that there are four parts to painting. Tom painted an upper circle with only one gem, where it should have needed two.
That passage is totally missing from the German rules. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.