BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: So many games, what to get next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Caya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello folks,

I have a small collection of board games which I'll post in a moment. My two primary game groups are me and my wife (who doesn't like overly complex), and a small cadre of teens from my church youth group (depending on who shows up and the overall mood and I could play something like Dead of Winter with them). I've been browsing for days and just can't settle on a game or two to pick up, so I'm looking for recommendations. Be as simple or as detailed as you like. Thanks for your feedback!

(Games I own)

Biblios
Munchkin
Splendor
Lost Cities
Forbidden Desert
Pandemic
Cyclades
The Resistance
King of Tokyo
Ascension
Carcassonne
Jamaica
Agricola
Superfight
Mage Knight
Risk Legacy
Fortune and Glory
Telestrations
Apples to Apples
Ghost Stories
Summoner Wars
Smallworld
Ticket to Ride
Arkham Horror
Talisman
Dead of Winter
Shadows Over Camelot
Descent (1st & 2nd Ed)
Star Wars Imperial Assault
Escape
Zombicide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
It's hard to come up with specific recommendations, because your criteria are almost nonexistent. Your collection is also varied enough that it's hard to draw too many conclusions, beyond some broad ideas. In one form or another, I could probably recommend 50% of the top 500 on BGG.

But, in the interests of helping...

Noticing a lack of traditional worker placement games. Maybe Stone Age or Lords of Waterdeep?

What about Dixit for the teen group? Nice mix of creativity and interaction.

And since it seems like you enjoy coops and horror, Elder Sign, might be a viable addition, though I'm not a huge fan of it myself.

For 2P-specific games, Jaipur is good, though it scratches much the same itch as Lost Cities. Maybe something like Patchwork or Akrotiri if you want something to play exclusively with the SO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan
Roll for the Galaxy
The Voyages of Marco Polo

I think you will enjoy these with both "groups".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Caya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts. I've played Lords of Waterdeep, though I don't own it. How does Stone Age compare? Also thanks for the 2P game mentions, I'll check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Caya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandigan wrote:
San Juan
Roll for the Galaxy
The Voyages of Marco Polo

I think you will enjoy these with both "groups".

Did you mean Race for the Galaxy? Is that a deck builder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not a deck builder per se. You draw cards and can either use them for various actions or "pay" developments and planetary settlements with them.

Great game.

But I meant Roll for the Galaxy, its dice-rolling cousin. It's great fun when everyone starts shaking the little dicecups and then trying to figure out who'll choose which action. It should appeal to your youngsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Caya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandigan wrote:
No, not a deck builder per se. You draw cards and can either use them for various actions or "pay" developments and planetary settlements with them.

Great game.

But I meant Roll for the Galaxy, its dice-rolling cousin. It's great fun when everyone starts shaking the little dicecups and then trying to figure out who'll choose which action. It should appeal to your youngsters.

AHHH. Ok I didn't know that existed, I will definitely check that out. Thanks very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Red7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Spookeh70 wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts. I've played Lords of Waterdeep, though I don't own it. How does Stone Age compare? Also thanks for the 2P game mentions, I'll check them out.

Similar mechanics in Stone Age. Slightly more complex than LoW. They feel much the same, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
IKEA has some good storage solutions. I used to use a vertical bookshelf, but I prefer horizontal shelving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Caya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
Spookeh70 wrote:

Similar mechanics in Stone Age. Slightly more complex than LoW. They feel much the same, though.

Thanks again, I'll have to watch a playthrough. I liked LoW, but I find that the DnD name can be off-putting depending on who I'm gaming with. On the flip side, who doesn't like cavemen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the church youth group, you should get Chaos in the Old World. I see no problems with playing that in a church.

Only joking

For the teens, you should get Galaxy Trucker. It's the sort of confusing chaotic game that will get them all laughing at themselves and each other.

For your wife, I would consider getting Patchwork. It's a great 2 player only experience. Another option, and this is more of a long shot, would be The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. I love this as I'm able to build a set of 2 decks, and pass one to my wife or one of my friends and then play a scenario. You can also enjoy it solo.

For both groups, I recommend you try Hanabi. I've played this with so many different people, including my gaming averse mother in law, and it's always gone down well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Vonderwalde
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi is a great 2P game. Might be worth checking it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Caya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DAAAN wrote:
For the church youth group, you should get Chaos in the Old World. I see no problems with playing that in a church.

Only joking

For the teens, you should get Galaxy Trucker. It's the sort of confusing chaotic game that will get them all laughing at themselves and each other.

For your wife, I would consider getting Patchwork. It's a great 2 player only experience. Another option, and this is more of a long shot, would be The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. I love this as I'm able to build a set of 2 decks, and pass one to my wife or one of my friends and then play a scenario. You can also enjoy it solo.

For both groups, I recommend you try Hanabi. I've played this with so many different people, including my gaming averse mother in law, and it's always gone down well.

Thanks for the suggestion. Believe it or not, my wife loves LotR so I'll definitely check that and Hanabi out, along with Galaxy Trucker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get Castle Panic along with the first expansion, you'ld have a nice coop teen-proof game. Check it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Youngblood
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur is a great 2 player card game, would be a lot of fun for you and your wife.

Wizard is a great trick taking game for the larger group. It accommodates between 3-6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.