• [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is telling you to refer to dice roll #3 to look for your results. Both #9 and #11 direct you back to #3. Likewise #10 Bomb Bay Doors refers you to look at #5 for the damage results.

Good luck with your rolls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn of the Dad wrote:

What am I supposed to be seeing?

-zombie

Most likely a large, sudden, brilliant flash. A resounding BOOM! Then lots of tiny bits and pieces falling to the ground with a dirty smudge where your plane used to be... At least that has been my luck with this type of damage. Good luck!

Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the game greatly overstates the tendency of bombs to explode in the bomb bay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beery wrote:
I suspect the game greatly overstates the tendency of bombs to explode in the bomb bay.

Doesn't happen a lot, and I believe there is another 1D6 that determines whether the bombs detonate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Doesn't happen a lot" - sure, but the question is, should it happen even occasionally? I'd say it ought to be so rare that it's virtually unheard of. In reality it was very rare indeed - bombs were designed not to detonate when hit by shrapnel or bullets. As I understand it, it should be a freak occurrence. The question is, does the game simulate the reality to the extent we should expect from a simulation like this?

Let's look at the numbers. I did a few quick calculations - hopefully I avoided any silly mistakes:

Firstly, we can see that "Bombs" is, with a 1 in 4.5 chance, the second most common result of a bomb bay hit in the game, along with "Bomb Bay Doors" and after "superficial damage". I did a few quick calculations this morning and (including the 1 in 3 chance of detonation after hitting the bombs) from what I can tell it's a 1 in 13.5 chance of detonation per bomb bay hit.

Flak hitting the bomb bay itself is a 1 in 36 chance. So that means that every time the B-17 is hit by flak, there is a 1 in 486 chance of detonation. That seems like it's a rare occurrence, but that's not per mission - it's per flak hit.

Hitting the bomb bay with bullets is much more likely: there's an average 1 in 13.2 chance of a bullet hitting the bomb bay (it varies up or down based on the attack position). That means every time the B-17 is hit by bullets, the average chance of bomb detonation is 1 in 178.2.

Now those numbers may seem to indicate that the chances of detonation are very low, but how many flak and bullet hits does a B-17 accumulate on average in a mission. I don't have any records for that number, but it must be quite high, so you have to divide the chances of detonation per hit by the average number of flak and bullet hits per mission to get the overall chance of detonation per mission, and I estimate that chance is relatively high.

Now we'd have to compare whatever number that generated to the reality. My hypothesis is that the game's number is probably a lot higher than reality. I base the hypothesis on the fact that bomb detonation seems to be observed a lot more by players of B-17 Queen of the Skies than it was observed in reality by B-17 crews who saw other aircraft shot down. Now that's just my observation based on what I've seen and what I've read of both the game and crew reports, but it seems logical to me that the game overstates losses caused by this particular event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.