8 Posts

Suburbia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lakes zero, or market only or both? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lili Private
msg tools
mb
When you open the rule booklet on the left page at top of 2nd column it says "When taking a title to use as a lake, the player must choose a title from the real estate market" and plays cost of real estate market but not of face value -- however in the booklet that contains a picture of each title and look in the inside under the section b title it says ... lakes are the backs of A, B, C titles they cost $0?? -- so are you supposed to grab them from the stacks or use them from market thereby making them not free ?? we were playing that one could do both...

So we said you could either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lakes are taken from the market and cost the market value of whichever tile you use to make the lake.

If you choose a tile in the $0 slot, then you don't pay anything.

If you choose the tile in the $10 slot, then you pay $10.

The "Lakes cost $0" just means that's the cost of the tile itself. Like a tile that costs $4 in the $2 slot costs $6 to purchase.

A lake has no inherent cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michariella wrote:
When you open the rule booklet on the left page at top of 2nd column it says "When taking a title to use as a lake, the player must choose a title from the real estate market" and plays cost of real estate market but not of face value -- however in the booklet that contains a picture of each title and look in the inside under the section b title it says ... lakes are the backs of A, B, C titles they cost $0?? -- so are you supposed to grab them from the stacks or use them from market thereby making them not free ?? we were playing that one could do both...

So we said you could either

Choose a tile from the current market, turn it upside down. It's now a lake with a $0 price tag. You purchase it from that same spot in the market, making the price $0 + market.

You don't just choose one from the stacks and turn it into a lake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Cant
England
Retford, Notts
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason you'd pay for a lake is to block a tile from your opponent.

If I can't have it no one can kind of thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hannah
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played a game where the bonus markers were 'Most Lakes' and 'Least $'. I was doing fine on VP, so towards the end I just started buying the building to the far left as a lake for $10 and chaining all the lakes together so as to not earn any immediate cash from them. I didn't win the game (by 3 points!) but I did get both of those bonuses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Zhang
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Did you even need that many lakes? Most people end up with 2 or 3, so unless you were directly racing someone for lakes you could've been scrounging up more points by getting tiles that actually generated population. Sometimes ignoring the goals to go for more optimal population-growing plans is worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRedComet wrote:
Did you even need that many lakes? Most people end up with 2 or 3, so unless you were directly racing someone for lakes you could've been scrounging up more points by getting tiles that actually generated population. Sometimes ignoring the goals to go for more optimal population-growing plans is worthwhile.

It is situational. In 1 case, 2 of the goals were water based so I focused heavily on lakes to claim the 2 open goals for 10 & 20 points. I trailed by 10 to 15 points for much of the game so I crossed fewer of those red lines, but then in final scoring, I jumped 45 points with my hidden goal for 15 & the 2 open goals that both involved lakes for 10 & 20. I won by trailing during the game & jumping ahead in final scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hobbs
msg tools
mb
Yrael wrote:
The reason you'd pay for a lake is to block a tile from your opponent.

If I can't have it no one can kind of thing

'Spite laking' is a good/legit strategy.

For example, if you can't afford anything and are going to get a lake anyway, but have a little cash (eg. $2), it's worth seeing if you can deny someone income/reputation. Like spotting that someone has an airport so that one in market is going to benefit at least one player. LAKE IT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.