Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony L.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got this to the table today, and we only had one rule question we couldn't figure out, so I thought I'd ask it here. Some of the Objective cards involve having more of something than the other players, and are worded as "Have More X Than Any Other Player". Some of us at the table read that as, "have more X than everyone else" and the others read it as "I don't have the most, but I have more than you and you are any other player". So how is that supposed to be worded? Can I claim it if I have more of whatever than another player, or do I have to have the most of everyone? We ruled the former, since it does say "more than any other player" and not "more than every other player", but I have a feeling it's supposed to be "more than everyone" and is just badly worded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Cutter
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the feeling that it is supposed to be more than everyone else....just very poorly worded like you stated. I'm looking forward to see what others say. I also live in San Antonio and enjoy this game and other civ building games...let me know if you ever want to play this or any other similar game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's definitely technically ambiguous, in English "more than any other player" would normally mean you have the most of all players. It's equivalent to "more than anyone else".

It seems to serve as a distinction that clarifies you shouldn't total the other players things to compare, which "more than every other player" could be taken to mean.

It seems that "more than another" or "more than any one other" would be required to unambiguously mean don't need the most just more than someone else.

Standard disclaimers apply - IMHO - I Am Not a Linguist etc etc - just sharing my 40+ years experience speaking English (well, Australian anyway )

Hopefully I've not muddied the waters further!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbelcher wrote:
While it's definitely technically ambiguous, in English "more than any other player" would normally mean you have the most of all players. It's equivalent to "more than anyone else".

It seems to serve as a distinction that clarifies you shouldn't total the other players things to compare, which "more than every other player" could be taken to mean.

It seems that "more than another" or "more than any one other" would be required to unambiguously mean don't need the most just more than someone else.

Standard disclaimers apply - IMHO - I Am Not a Linguist etc etc - just sharing my 40+ years experience speaking English (well, Australian anyway )

Hopefully I've not muddied the waters further!

'......More x than any of each one of the individual players......', but the original seems fairly clear to me that this is what is what is meant, rather then the total of all of the other players combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo35 wrote:
Some of the Objective cards involve having more of something than the other players, and are worded as "Have More X Than Any Other Player". Some of us at the table read that as, "have more X than everyone else" and the others read it as "I don't have the most, but I have more than you and you are any other player". So how is that supposed to be worded?
It's more than each and every player considered individually i.e. No one's got as many 'X' as I have, so I fulfil the objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony L.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbelcher wrote:

That's what I assumed, but then someone else brought up the other interpretation, and I thought, well technically that's not wrong, so we just kind of went with it for the sake of keeping the game going. Definitely makes sense now though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just think of it this way, you are being rewarded for being the "best" at something.

It should probably say "More than each other player", but there you go, English is not always precise, that's why contracts are so long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It could just say "highest number of X"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.