Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
yesterday, I played Before the Wind for the first time. We played a 3p game.

Apart from some minor rules questions that aren't answered in the rulebook (but here at BGG), our major complaint was the following:

One player was leading. He had 22 VPs and the current display of ships showed a 20-VP-ship and an 8-VP-ship. So the other players (who were clearly out of chance to make a fast win) of course did everything to stop the leader from winning. The paid the leader much money to hinder him from being able to ship. Later on, the others had catched up a little and the leader was able to take some revenge and hurt them a little and then, he finally (!) won. The game felt much too long, the second half of the game was all about blocking and stealing from each other and there was hardly any real progress towards the 50 VP target.

I had managed to deliver to two big ships in the first term (16 VP and 12 VP), in the beginning on term 2, I firstly needed to make some money again, then I delivered to a small ship (2 VP) thus reaching my final score of 30 VP. In the rest of the game, I didn't really do anything apart from paying money so that the other player didn't win earlier.

I do of course not claim to have played optimally. I have surely made a lot of mistakes, that's for sure. However, the game still felt pretty unsatisfying and I don't really think this was due to us playing badly. This is a pitty because I otherwise like the theme and the mechanics (especially so the card drafting phase). To me it felt like the end game should have been designed better.

Is it just me or is this how the game usually works? (It's probably not a game for me then, but at least I then know that we aren't doing anything wrong.)

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
The round ends when there are 2 ships left so were the 20 and 8 the only ships left?
If so, you played that wrong as this would triggers goods spoiling and a new set of ships. This should change the situation enough that the leading player may not be in an easy position to win anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gerwalker wrote:
The round ends when there are 2 ships left so were the 20 and 8 the only ships left?
If so, you played that wrong as this would triggers goods spoiling and a new set of ships. This should change the situation enough that the leading player may not be in an easy position to win anymore.

No, there were still 5 or 6 ships left. We got that rule. Thanks for mentioning though, that would indeed change the game to worse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a bit of time since my last game, but I was always careful about the people I would play this one with. This is a game where money, and the bidding that money allows, should be wielded like a bludgeon or a scalpel alternately. When I read the line "paid him [a lot of] money," I cringed a bit; money is the tool I can use to make sure that you (or the collective you, if you like) will get dregs for well into the foreseeable future. It's not a particularly forgiving game (which for me is a feature, not a bug), and small increments in game advantage (and disadvantage) do get multiplied. I can't say as I have a strategy to "fix" things, but it is a game that rewards good play, and a game that works best when you're making small adjustments in strategy based on what's available, and not compromising your cash flow for a short-term benefit.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.