Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul lieberman
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What does Ares mean by the board being "Hot-Foiled Stamped"? Does this mean a better quality than the CE edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Game board: We will use a moderate amount of hot foil printing to make certain graphic elements of the game board nicer: nothing out of the ordinary, it's something that is done in book-making all the time.

Regarding "deteriorating foil printing". All things printed deteriorate over "several years" - variation of humidity, exposition to solar light, attrition and dirt... All these things take their toll on a printed item, nothing lasts forever.

The better the production quality, the longer things last, of course.
The hot foil printing on my LE Lords of Middle-earth box is as shiny and solid as the day it was printed, so I am confident that the Anniversary Release board will not deteriorate sooner than any other game board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see an image or mock-up of this. I have a hard time picturing where a metallic sheen would improve the look of the board. Maybe shiney blue rivers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
I'd love to see an image or mock-up of this. I have a hard time picturing where a metallic sheen would improve the look of the board. Maybe shiney blue rivers?

God, I hope not. My personal preference of this is: the less the better. I was not overjoyed to hear this bit. The enlarged map is my favorite bit of the offering. I prefer it as is, the latest version is perfect.

I hope that it is restricted mostly to the logo. But I suspect it may be used for the demarcation of the red and blue stronghold/city/towns graphics. I suppose that would be okay. But mountains, etc? Please, no.

For now, I will trust that they will be tasteful. It will not dissuade me, despite my misgivings about it. I hope that I might be able to suggest that they use restraint with this element without seeming ungracious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
This image is on Ares Games' Facebook page:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. It's difficult to tell anything from that image due to the size, but I suspect that is the regular 2e game board. For one, I would expect the boxes/tracks etc to take up much less room on the enlarged board. I can't really see any foil objects.

Maybe that's good news for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:

My hope is that they use the foil stamping only on the logos and maybe a few of the boxes, possibly around the exterior of the board and/or the corruption track.

Considering how great the Lords of Middle Earth LE looks, I have confidence in their decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
mbmbmbmbmb
bclayj wrote:
Considering how great the Lords of Middle Earth LE looks, I have confidence in their decisions.

Wait, LoME has foil stamp on the box?

I guess I'm going to have to take another look when I get home. I never even noticed.
Is this something that people value and consider desirable on boardgame boxes/boards? Perhaps I'm an exception to the rule, but it seems trivial to me. I guess what I'm asking is, what's the value added? I would have thought aesthetic only (and not to my taste), but Roberto's reply seems to indicate some kind of longer-lasting material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Wait, LoME has foil stamp on the box?

I guess I'm going to have to take another look when I get home.

Only the Limited Edition (with painted minis) of LoMe has foil stamp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want an all foil board, like an old-timey 80's hologram.

Make it happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a comparison between the boards and boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Veldrin wrote:
Here's a comparison between the boards and boxes.

I suspect this is a mockup to show differences in size, however, rather than the actual board.

ETA: The reason I think it is not an actual board image is that all elements are resized by the same amount, despite the fact there's no reason for the card area (for example) to be increased. I think this is just the 2nd ed. board "photoshopped" to show the actual expected size of the AE board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a much better look! If that has foil stamping, then it is indeed "moderate." I can't see it.

I am a bit surprised by the boxes and tracks on the board. I thought their original size might be maintained so that they impinge less on the map area.

Oh well, either way it looks great! I'm sure I will be thrilled!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm I am wondering why this game is so expensive in anniversary edition :/

Thins which we will get because of this edition

- painted minis (most expensive)
- bigger board
- hardcover rulebook and strategy guide.
- 16 special dice

and that's all ... there are many people who will paint your minis for less money and well, that would be all from improving the gameplay (maybe still dices, ok).

I was willing to buy this edition but it is simply too expensive, not giving me anything what is worth almost 460 $ (for EU customer, included German VAT and shipping). That is wayyyyy to expensive.

Anyone have the same feeling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Dewald
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AkitaInu wrote:

- bigger board
- 16 special dice

and that's all ... there are many people who will paint your minis for less money and well, that would be all from improving the gameplay (maybe still dices, ok).

I was willing to buy this edition but it is simply too expensive, not giving me anything what is worth almost 460 $ (for EU customer, included German VAT and shipping). That is wayyyyy to expensive.

I actually have the exact opposite feeling. What ARES is offering is a GREAT deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a good deal IF you want those extras. It's not worth it to me because I'd only be interested in the painted minis and (less so) the custom dice. (not that I could afford it right now, even if I wanted).

The bigger box and bigger board are actually negatives for me.

I'm not interested in the strategy guide, and Veldrin & Co. have done a very good job with clean rules as it is, so the errata and updates are not that important either.

Foil stamped board? I'm still not even sure what that means or looks like. I don't yet understand the value added there, so I can't really comment on that.

I think if I didn't already own the (1st and) 2nd edition, and I was newer to the game, I might be more excited about a fancier edition.

That being said, it's great that they're offering this for those who do want it. It's a great game, and the more people who play it, the better, I say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PapaDeWald wrote:
AkitaInu wrote:

- bigger board
- 16 special dice

I actually have the exact opposite feeling. What ARES is offering is a GREAT deal.

Agreed. The price just counting the miniatures is an amazing price - comes to $1.90 per painted miniature (including US shipping)! Plus hard cover rule book, strategy guide, bigger board, etc - well worth the price!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked around a bit and can't find:

1) The dimensions of the current 2nd edition board?
2) the expected dimensions of the anniversary edition board? I know it's supposed to be bigger, and "about 3'x4'", but is it over or under 4'?

I am going to be getting a new gaming table that will be 46"x46" playing surface -- just under 4feet. Will the anniversary board fit on it (it's dropped playing surface, so if it doesn't fit, overhanging isn't an option).

Does anybody have any insights?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unbiased Meeple
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got mine pre-ordered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nadurgin wrote:

According to Ares' website, the 2E board is 70x100 cm.

Quote:
2) the expected dimensions of the anniversary edition board? I know it's supposed to be bigger, and "about 3'x4'", but is it over or under 4'?

My guess is under. They mention 20% bigger so that would be 84x120cm which is 2.75' x 3.9' so that matches their "about 3x4'."

I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
nadurgin wrote:

Quote:

My guess is under. They mention 20% bigger so that would be 84x120cm which is 2.75' x 3.9' so that matches their "about 3x4'."

I hope that helps.

Yes that helps! Unfortunately, 120cm is 47.2", which is more than my 46" limit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nadurgin wrote:
Coren wrote:
nadurgin wrote:

Quote:

I hope that helps.

Yes that helps! Unfortunately, 120cm is 47.2", which is more than my 46" limit

Drats. You could buy a second table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very curious how it matches up to the CE board. I just picked up one of Fubar's sculpted Dooms (very cool).

Tumorous mentioned that the CE was 25% bigger than the 2E board and the AE appeared about 20% as big. That little difference wouldn't matter, I'd think.

Thinking about that big board, my wife was wondering what I was doing with the yard stick on the game table by the way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.