MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As there is no L/R rule involved, plus the pitcher will never get tired, for the basic game I don't think we need to change the pitcher (starter) at all except using the closer in the last inning (if winning).

Also, in basic game, to determine Hit-and-Run result, just roll 2D6 and looking up the chart, without using batting / running stat/skills, I think this is too simple.

Looking forward to learn the advanced rule and to get deeper in strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you sound like a baseball fan. In which case, you want to go to Advanced/Super Advanced right away. You won't play Basic anymore.
I use basic to teach new people or to play with kids. Otherwise, Super Advanced, always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am baseball fan for sure.

Currently I am playing this with my 10 year old boy, just to learn the game with him together.

Will move to advanced rule soon, very soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
go to the advanced rules right away. If your son has watched a baseball game the left/right platoon mechanics will make sense right away. I think the advanced game is so much more like a real baseball game that your 10 year old will not just grasp the rules but enjoy the game even more.

With the basic game you just get too many questions like the one you asked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, there is no reason to go to the closer in the final inning at all, unless he has a better ERA than your starter (or some other statistical reason). In fact, if one of your relievers is better than your starter, then you can just have your starter face one batter in the first inning and then put the better reliever in for the rest of the game.

Like others have said, for a baseball fan, this kind of silliness is just too much to bear. So, get yourself to the advanced rules right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bergquist
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course.... But just because you CAN doesn't mean you HAVE TO.

I play Basic rules and just use a sort of realistic approach ... pull pitchers when they're tired, or just can't seem to get anyone out ... put in relievers when they would actually go in . . . steal bases when it would likely happen in a real game . . . use hit and run rarely and only when it makes baseball sense, and so on.

The advantage of Basic rules is the simplicity, the short game play time, and the fact that not every person you play Strat with (like young kids) might be all that interested in making reference to multiple charts.

But mainly, play what you really enjoy. Years ago I was all gung-ho to play Super-Advanced. And it was okay, but I did get a little tired of all the extra charts to look stuff up on. And my wife hated it.

So, after a while we went back to Basic -- and have been very happy playing Basic for many many years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Danley
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
I believe there is a rule that states if a pitcher gives up 5 earned runs in one inning, 6 in two consecutive innings, or 7 in three consecutive then that pitcher is rocked and all batter card's symbols followed with ++ are considered to be a single with runners advancing two bases. Using this rule would be an incentive to call the bullpen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BBergquist wrote:

I play Basic rules and just use a sort of realistic approach ... pull pitchers when they're tired, or just can't seem to get anyone out ... put in relievers when they would actually go in . . . steal bases when it would likely happen in a real game . . . use hit and run rarely and only when it makes baseball sense, and so on.

The advantage of Basic rules is the simplicity, the short game play time, and the fact that not every person you play Strat with (like young kids) might be all that interested in making reference to multiple charts.

But mainly, play what you really enjoy. Years ago I was all gung-ho to play Super-Advanced. And it was okay, but I did get a little tired of all the extra charts to look stuff up on. And my wife hated it.

So, after a while we went back to Basic -- and have been very happy playing Basic for many many years.

Interesting. It never occurred to me to play that way. I guess that's because my approach to playing all games is to play the best strategy I can given the rules. In which case, it doesn't make a lot of sense to play Basic-Strat much like real baseball. I guess your approach is to play as close to realistic baseball as possible without having to fiddle with a lot of charts. That would definitely not work for me. It would seem to me like I was playing a game with some other game's rules, like playing Monopoly the way I think real-life real estate brokers would do it. Would they REALLY build up hotels on the red properties to try to catch potential renters coming out of jail? Probably not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bergquist
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
BBergquist wrote:

Interesting. It never occurred to me to play that way. I guess that's because my approach to playing all games is to play the best strategy I can given the rules. In which case, it doesn't make a lot of sense to play Basic-Strat much like real baseball. I guess your approach is to play as close to realistic baseball as possible without having to fiddle with a lot of charts. That would definitely not work for me. It would seem to me like I was playing a game with some other game's rules, like playing Monopoly the way I think real-life real estate brokers would do it. Would they REALLY build up hotels on the red properties to try to catch potential renters coming out of jail? Probably not.

Different strokes for different folks ... Yes, I admit, I think of it almost as a kind of role-playing game, and enjoy it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.