Popular Tags: [View All]
jimmy jo jim Bob
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
rotting rubbish heap of a world
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm leaning heavily toward buying a copy of the Anniversary Edition, largely because I really like the idea of owning those books.

I understand one book is the rules in hard cover format.

The other is a strategy guide, written by

Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb

as stated in the second post here: [thread=https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1404226/anniversary-edition...][/thread]

This man has also provided strategy articles on the web site he maintains at http://www.warofthering.eu/tacticsoverview.htm.

My question: Is the strategy guide comprised of these articles combined into book format? Or is there more added beyond what these articles state?

I'm not saying this is a bad thing to have combined the articles, I'm just asking.

Thanks!

P.S. Apologies for the bad formatting, I'm still learning the art of the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1402348/desr-ares-games-cou...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy jo jim Bob
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
rotting rubbish heap of a world
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh, he answered MY own question and it wasn't posted to my subscriptions! (I realize it's Battle of Five Armies, but I've subscribed to that one, too.)

Thanks for pointing that out to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance we might be able to buy this guide without having to by the Anniversary Edition? I can't justify $400, when I can paint my own minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already painted mine, so I too would be interested in buying the strategy guide and larger board by themselves. If I hadn't already put in the time and effort I'd be all over it, but...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
Any chance we might be able to buy this guide without having to by the Anniversary Edition? I can't justify $400, when I can paint my own minis.

Roberto Di Meglio has stated, in the Anniversary FAQ, that they are asking permission from the licensor to sell the hardcover rule book and the War of the Ring Companion separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeegen wrote:
My question: Is the strategy guide comprised of these articles combined into book format? Or is there more added beyond what these articles state?

Here's what I answered in the other thread:

Quote:
I don't know how much I can say but there is a lot more in the "War of the Ring Companion" than those articles.

In addition to a lot of completely new material, the already existing articles on Ares' site have been revised and expanded.

I guess you could call the articles on Ares' site abridged versions of some of the chapters you will find in the "War of the Ring Companion."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
Bigsixer wrote:

Roberto Di Meglio has stated, in the Anniversary FAQ, that they are asking permission from the licensor to sell the hardcover rule book and the War of the Ring Companion separately.

And, for David's benefit, the board as well, it is to be hoped. I think they are at the mercy of the license under which they produce the boardgame. I would hope that, since said items are part and parcel of the boardgame, they would be able to sell them with no problem, but these things are notoriously sticky (lawyers have a way of messing everything up, common sense often goes out the window. No offense meant to any of our gaming lawyer friends, of course!)

What they will absolutely not be offering as a separate purchase are the painted minis. That much was clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they can just sell 1 mini, and tack on the board and the strategy guide, and call it an "expansion".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
Maybe they can just sell 1 mini, and tack on the board and the strategy guide, and call it an "expansion".

Wait, that's.... brilliant!

The Anniversary Release Treebeard "Mini"-Expansion!!! w00t!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So no news about a possible seperate product for the books?
With 4 hours left I am still going back and forth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:

As Roberto stated earlier:

He is positve they can sell the rules and the Companion as a stand alone item but as no deals have been signed he cannot promise it.

It won't be signed in the next 4 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
What our intention is:

- as soon as we get approval from the licensor, we will open pre-orders for the books and/or the game boards. Based on previous experience, I think this will not require a couple of days, more like 2-3 months. Again - I am POSITIVE that the rules and strategy guide will be possible as a separate purchase. But I cannot CONFIRM IT FOR SURE now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
I will wait then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:

It seems pretty clear that it will be offered at some point. Roberto wouldn't screw us over, he just has to speak with an ear to the lawyers behind his back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

IF Ares gets approval to offer these items for purchase individually why should I buy the Anniversary Edition?

I'll be able to get all the Anniversary Edition upgrades(except the dice and a different box) to add to a currently available WotR second edition.

I can have the minis painted myself, avoiding any risk of the Anniversary Edition having a poor quality paint job.

As well, if these items become readily available won't that drive down the potential value of the Anniversary Edition?

Am I missing something?

littlemonkey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painting is a lot of work and there is no guarantee your paint job will be better either?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.