5 Posts

Dungeon Dice» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing as the Monster a.k.a. A Player Not in Combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Man
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi! Just got my copy of DD and started playing a bunch of matches. Recently we had our first 3-Player game and there were some fuzzy sections about what the non-combat player could and could not do.

In the rules it states
Quote:
"[The player] WHO IS NOT IN COMBAT has the option to activate the monster’s abilities."

I understand that you may still use any of your ONE-USE dice while playing the role of the monster, but can you use any of your EQUIPMENT or ARTIFACTS to give the monster that extra edge (we play a very aggressive game )?

I've been reading through a few posts that have had some conflicting information on when you may roll EQUIPMENT. A lot of them state you may roll your equipment whenever you want, but that flies directly in the face of the REACH ability:

Quote:
"Each hero with REACH may roll EQUIPMENT and HERO LEVEL dice before
deciding whether to confront a monster. This ability occurs before combat.
Inactive players may use this ability before an assistant is chosen."

Naturally I'd assume, with the exception of REACH, that if you roll your dice you are committing to the combat. So, in regards to EQUIPMENT, only the active player and assistant may roll at any given time. Do I have this correct or am I missing something?

And on that thought, are you allowed to use FAMILIARS in the same fashion as ONE-USE dice? In other words can I use something like a BAT to drain a hero while I'm taking on the role of the monster i.e. not in combat?

Somewhat tangential topics now. In the case of the Magic Toad does its Frog ability trigger before EQUIPMENT, LEVEL, and ARTIFACT dice are rolled? Oh! and do monster abilities trigger on each participating hero or just once? We've been triggering them only once.

Lastly, when not the active player can you roll your dice with pre-combat effects like REACH, ROUGE, and RANGER in order to entice the active player to pick you as their assistant?

This is an awesome game and we enjoy it every gaming session. None of these things are really game breaking, but it would be nice to get some clarification.

Thanks for reading!
- B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't roll your equipment against another player, because you are not fighting, only the monster is.

Only the active player and assistant roll their equipment, but their are several exceptions, like Reach, Scout, and Perform.

Only the Bear Familiar may be used to aid the monster. All others can only be used to assist yourself when you are in combat.

Magic Toad triggers after you roll the dice and trigger abilities, so Drain, Tangle, and Stun (for example) can help you beat it.

All monster abilities only affect the active player.

Dice that can be rolled before combat can definitely be rolled to use as bargaining chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
All monster abilities only affect the active player.

Isn't this only true for post-combat abilities like Pain? A monster could choose which hero to Tangle, couldn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Potluck told me all monster abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Man
Canada
flag msg tools
Awesome!
Thanks very much for clearing that up for me.

-B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.