Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish to make sure I'm understanding this correctly:

Under rule 7.25, it reads that "Activated air and carrier units may use Reaction movement to leave a battle hex before combat is resolved, but if they do so, they must still participate in the battle in the hex they departed from.".

So, before units depart from a battle hex, that battle hex must be resolved first (with them facing the consequences of that battle). Correct?

Then, they are permitted to go to another battle hex (as a reaction) and become involved in the battle exchange. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No - depending on the composition of the enemy force, you may want to move Air and/or Carriers out of the hex to give them some distance from the battle (see 9.2F4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that for protection. However, there are occasions when other islands, for example, are defended with weaker units and could benefit from additional naval and air units reacting out of one battle hex and into another battle hex - even if it's likely that they will be sacrificed in another battle. Is there a rule provision that prohibits that type of move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pg 14 - "Any unit the Reacting HQ activates may join any declared battle."
You're good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob.Gibson wrote:
I understand that for protection. However, there are occasions when other islands, for example, are defended with weaker units and could benefit from additional naval and air units reacting out of one battle hex and into another battle hex - even if it's likely that they will be sacrificed in another battle. Is there a rule provision that prohibits that type of move?

9.1) - No unit of either player can participate in more than one battle per Offensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that 7.25 limits the reaction move out of a battle hex to support its original battle hex only. Sort of a pinning move sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Bob.Gibson wrote:

9.1) - No unit of either player can participate in more than one battle per Offensive.
Thanks Steve, that says it all. And, Gary, pinning move is where I'm headed in this follow up:

Okay, I'm going to spitball this notion-
When I play an Allied event card, as an example, I try to sent one air unit each to strongly-held islands (ie. Truk, Kwajalein, etc) held by the Japanese to pin those units from leaving their location. In that way, my stronger Allied task force can maintain an advantage over a weaker-held (or no-held) target island (or hex) that the task force wishes to attack. The air unit(s) thus sacrifice themselve(s) for the good of the offensive.

I suppose this is a legit move since a given unit may only battle once. Also, if this is the case then it is probably desirable for both sides (particularly the Japanese) to spread themselves out rather than build up in a couple of hexes. If everything stated here is legit, then I also find it strange that one lone air unit, as a example, can force a large Japanese force to stay where they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob.Gibson wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:
Bob.Gibson wrote:

Thanks Steve, that says it all. And, Gary, pinning move is where I'm headed in this follow up:

Okay, I'm going to spitball this notion-
When I play an Allied event card, as an example, I try to sent one air unit each to strongly-held islands (ie. Truk, Kwajalein, etc) held by the Japanese to pin those units from leaving their location. In that way, my stronger Allied task force can maintain an advantage over a weaker-held (or no-held) target island (or hex) that the task force wishes to attack. The air unit(s) thus sacrifice themselve(s) for the good of the offensive.

I suppose this is a legit move since a given unit may only battle once. Also, if this is the case then it is probably desirable for both sides (particularly the Japanese) to spread themselves out rather than build up in a couple of hexes. If everything stated here is legit, then I also find it strange that one lone air unit, as a example, can force a large Japanese force to stay where they are.

Here is some light reading. A decade ago I answered this question so many times I wrote a paper about it.

http://markherman.tripod.com/eotstrukmonograph.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob.Gibson wrote:

Allied LRB's are especially good for this because of their 6-hex range and since they can be easily replaced.

Remember though, while LRB's project an AZOI they do not negate Japanese AZOI.

Bob.Gibson wrote:
If everything stated here is legit, then I also find it strange that one lone air unit, as a example, can force a large Japanese force to stay where they are.

While it might seem a bit gamey at first, it's an intentional design element to emphasis the importance of airpower (and control of the airbases to support and project that airpower).

In the game, the Allies will have the air advantage because of their high replacement rates. So it was during the actual campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per Mark's insights, my simple view is that if you park a fleet near enemy land based air you're inviting a bruising. If the enemy CVs want to come out to pin you then you get a classic Pacific engagement. Seems appropriate to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But is it realistic that one lone squadron can pin a large Japanese naval/air buildup on one island?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob.Gibson wrote:
But is it realistic that one lone squadron can pin a large Japanese naval/air buildup on one island?

Not a squadron, it's a couple of heavy bomber groups.

Read the paper if you are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob.Gibson wrote:
I just wish to make sure I'm understanding this correctly:

Under rule 7.25, it reads that "Activated air and carrier units may use Reaction movement to leave a battle hex before combat is resolved, but if they do so, they must still participate in the battle in the hex they departed from.".

So, before units depart from a battle hex, that battle hex must be resolved first (with them facing the consequences of that battle). Correct?

Then, they are permitted to go to another battle hex (as a reaction) and become involved in the battle exchange. Correct?

I think the others have answered this, but all the rule 7.25 allows an air carrier unit to do is leave the battle hex, but participate in the battle hex. This prevents a battleship from killing an alert carrier, no more, no less.

All else is per the rules, no unit can participate in more than one battle per offensive.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.