Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Bagley
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This game looks quite intriguing. I have always liked modular worker placement (Belfort being the closest example to this type of gameplay). I was hoping TMG would post more information about this game somewhere. This is the only spot, I could think of (the other being their website which is still under construction).

Is there a way we could get the file for the rulebook uploaded for this game? According to TMG, they will be selling some copies of Steam Works at Gen Con. Surely we are close enough now to let people investigate this fabulous looking game and build some hype for it, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Rasmussen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
retupmoc258 wrote:
This game looks quite intriguing. I have always liked modular worker placement (Belfort being the closest example to this type of gameplay). I was hoping TMG would post more information about this game somewhere. This is the only spot, I could think of (the other being their website which is still under construction).

Is there a way we could get the file for the rulebook uploaded for this game? According to TMG, they will be selling some copies of Steam Works at Gen Con. Surely we are close enough now to let people investigate this fabulous looking game and build some hype for it, too.

I'll second this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C├ęsar Mendes
Portugal
Santarem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I support this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking for permission right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Permission has been granted - look for the rules in the files section as soon as they are approved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we wait for them to be approved you can also view them here: http://issuu.com/cr8dpt/docs/tmg_sw-rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Download away! http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/119892/official-steam-work... Steam Works English Rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bagley
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you very much Looks great. I wish you would have explained some things more clearly, such as what the difference between an Automaton and a regular mechanic worker is. I had to infer it after searching high and low for all references to it. I assume you could place your automaton any turn you would normally place, and don't pay anything to place it? So this also means that some people will get more turns on some rounds.

There were some other things that weren't too clear, such as whether a clock is taken off the stack when using your own building (looks like a no).

Another question that I can't find answered, is whether there is a maximum device size. There is one component that allows you to expand a device, but I don't see a limit to the size. Could you keep using it to expand a single device to enormous sizes?

And one thing I can't figure out for the life of me is where you get these sources that you put in the devices? Is it the same thing as the "sources" you collect from the supply? If it is, why are they not the same on both sides? Why is it that the source pile has a back at all? If they are all the same (or are they?) then why not have them all face-up instead of face-down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
retupmoc258 wrote:
Thank you very much Looks great. I wish you would have explained some things more clearly,

I will try and answer some of your quesitons...

Quote:
...such as what the difference between an Automaton and a regular mechanic worker is.

An Automaton is basically a regular worker, however you normally don't have access to that particular worker. You only get to use it when you activate the Automaton component. Therefore we wanted it to look different than the rest of your workers.

Quote:
I had to infer it after searching high and low for all references to it. I assume you could place your automaton any turn you would normally place, and don't pay anything to place it? So this also means that some people will get more turns on some rounds.

Yes, if you have activated an Automaton component, then you will have an Automaton on your board, which you may place in a future round.

You'd be hard pressed to find a situation where you'd want to place a Mechanic while you've got your Automaton on your board. In general, the benefit of the Automaton component is that you get another placement (for free) next turn.

Quote:
There were some other things that weren't too clear, such as whether a clock is taken off the stack when using your own building (looks like a no).

Page 5, where it talks about handing out clock tokens, is pretty clear on this:
rulebook page 5 wrote:
When you place a mechanic in a device owned by another player, the device's owner takes 1 clock counter from the current age's stack (see below). (Ex. 6a) Each clock counter is worth 1 prestige point at the end of the game! You do not get a clock counter when you send a mechanic to your own device.

I'm not sure how much more clear it could be than that!

Quote:
Another question that I can't find answered, is whether there is a maximum device size. There is one component that allows you to expand a device, but I don't see a limit to the size. Could you keep using it to expand a single device to enormous sizes?

There is no maximum size by rule. You can make a device as large as you can manage... though it may or may not actually help you very much to do so.

Quote:
And one thing I can't figure out for the life of me is where you get these sources that you put in the devices? Is it the same thing as the "sources" you collect from the supply?

Yes, a source is a source. That is to say a Basic source that you collect from a component such as Condensor, Amplicondesor, or Miscellenerie (Clockwork source, Steam source, and Electrick source) are the same as the tiles in the supply.

There also exist some tiles on the belts which count as sources, such as Iteration Gears, Steamwork Source, Electrosteam Source, Electroclock Source, and Universal Source.

Quote:
If it is, why are they not the same on both sides? Why is it that the source pile has a back at all? If they are all the same (or are they?) then why not have them all face-up instead of face-down?

So they are easy to sort and identify as a source, and reference with iconography.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorenzo pettinari
Italy
Fermo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the rulebook!

Two questions:

1. It seems to scale well, in 2 player too thanks to the special rules, is that correct?

2. What weight is this expected to be? It seems light to medium, easy to teach. Am I wrong?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lollixo wrote:
1. It seems to scale well, in 2 player too thanks to the special rules, is that correct?

I think so!

Quote:
2. What weight is this expected to be? It seems light to medium, easy to teach. Am I wrong?

I think it's a bit heavier then that (I might say medium-to-heavy) due to the emergent complexity of the various possible component combinations in devices. But I'm never sure any two people really see eye to eye on what "light" "medium" or "heavy" means, so take that with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the rules; man, this looks interesting! I'm always surprised that folks can find new design space in the worker placement genre, but darn if this isn't a clever twist. Look forward to trying it in the TMG room at the Gen Con!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
niftykracker wrote:
Thanks for the rules; man, this looks interesting! I'm always surprised that folks can find new design space in the worker placement genre, but darn if this isn't a clever twist. Look forward to trying it in the TMG room at the Gen Con!

unfortunately this year there is no TMG room at Gen Con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it premiering at GenCon (for sale) or just being previewed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfpackee wrote:
Is it premiering at GenCon (for sale) or just being previewed?

There will be a very limited number of Steam Works on sale at GenCon (same for Gold West).

Better hit up TMG early if you want a copy! First come, first served!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Difficulty level
sedjtroll wrote:
lollixo wrote:

I think it's a bit heavier then that (I might say medium-to-heavy) due to the emergent complexity of the various possible component combinations in devices.

Agreed about the emergent complexity. I'd say that means following the rules is medium-to-easy, then playing well is medium-to-tricky.

"A minute to learn; a lifetime to master" games tend to be amongst my favourites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
sedjtroll wrote:
You'd be hard pressed to find a situation where you'd want to place a Mechanic while you've got your Automaton on your board.

The one circumstance I can think of is playing Duke Augustus B-side. Then, if you want to place somewhere other than your persona spaces, you can't use your automaton, so you might well save it for a later turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to snag a copy of this (along with Gold West) at GenCon. Looking forward to my first play of both of these this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.