14 Posts

Spyfall» Forums » General

Subject: Spyfall for Android offline! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Kuo
msg tools
Hi all!

Note: This is a re-post of a re-post of the original thread which was accidentally taken down by the spam-filter a second time... I have talked with the forums admin so hopefully this is the last time it will happen.

I have recently created an android app of Spyfall, which is based off http://spyfall.adrianocola.com/#
I originally played this game with my friends online, but of course, like with all games, we wanted to be able to play it offline, on trains, on buses etc.
So, I took the initiative and made a very simple app to play Spyfall with lots of flexibility!

Why to use this app:
1. ITS SPYFALL! OFFLINE!
2. Very light weight, no unnecessary features.
3. Can select from 1-8 players!
4. Can custom edit the locations and roles yourself! (Instructions inside the app)
5. Optimized for all phone screen sizes! (Tablet not optimized yet, dont have one on me)
6. FREE! NO ADS!

Now, without further ado, the download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/xou9eqwhu9786s3/Spyfall_1....

Notes on installation:
1. Make sure Unknown Sources is ENABLED (Settings -> Security).
2. Disable any screen filters (they dont let you tap the install button).
3. Download the apk file onto your phone, or copy over from computer.
4. Using a suitable file explorer (like ES File Explorer) run the apk file.
5. Install.
6. PROFIT!

As with any program, user feedback is extremely important, so if you would like to see any new features, please do go full out in the comments! ^_^.

As someone did kindly suggest in the previous repost, I may decide to upload this to F-droid, as I currently unable to upload this to the Play store.

NOTE: This is for android only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Sullivan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you make sure Hobby World/Cryptozoic/etc. were ok with you posting this? When you run the app, does it credit the designers and publishers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kuo
msg tools
I will write more concisely when I have more time but in short the license terms on the website I based my app on (link in first post) stated that it was fine as long as I included a copy of the license within the app which I have at done. You must accept their license on first use of the app I wrote.

Edit: Please refer below to their their license terms available here: https://github.com/adrianocola/spyfall/blob/master/LICENSE

Quote:
The MIT License (MIT)

Copyright (c) 2014 Adriano

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.

I believe it is fine to make this app public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dealing trap
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SupaGerm wrote:
Did you make sure Hobby World/Cryptozoic/etc. were ok with you posting this? When you run the app, does it credit the designers and publishers?

Do you mean as a courtesy or legally?
Because as far as i can tell "spyfall" is not trademarked and as long as no graphical asset or rulebook excerpts are used in the app i don't see any legal issue there (only graphical assets and rulebooks receive copyrights), but i am not a lawyer.

I did not consider patents here, i only heard of 2 patented boardgame mechanics (the infamous magic tap mechanic being the most known), and both are very specific to The USA patent law (i.e. there is probably not many other countries where such patents could be registred).

Mentioning the original designer is always nice, but phrasing the acknowledgement is always delicate in order to avoid legal issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Sullivan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant "did you ask them?"

It looks lile that license is given by the programmer, for the software. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kuo
msg tools
No I haven't directly asked them. But I'm pretty sure it's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, it might be fine if there's no profit being made from it. (That includes ads) (I know you said no ads) might, because they could still pursue a suit if they feel like they don't want your thing to exist for any reason.

Allowing your app to live is their decision not yours, since you're copying their work.

Whether you give them the courtesy of a direct contact and heads-up or not may or may not affect that decision.

To me it's a courtesy thing, an app has gone way beyond "playing around with it at home"

There are two layers of copyrights here, Spyfall owners cryptozoic and this online app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kuo
msg tools
Tuism wrote:

Allowing your app to live is their decision not yours, since you're copying their work.

Yes, I totally and completely understand this. If the owners of Spyfall wish this app to be removed, I will do so immediately. However, as this is a non-profit app, and also the fact that there is another spyfall app for android (called SpyFind on the play store), I decided it should be fine to upload. Keep in mind, this app is NOT available on the play store. I have no future plans to do so either. This is simply a beta version I made for offline use, as well as a small project of my own.

I was hoping to get some decent feedback on the program itself, not really a lesson on copyrights or laws. Makes me a little sad to see how a high school student's project was ignored for adult financial needs. I may consider taking this down if the following comments are going to be unrelated to the app itself.

Edited a typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dealing trap
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmh, having tested your app, i failed to see any copyrighted material in it.

The only possible legal issue would be a trademark on the name "spyfall" that you are using as your app name … but spyfall is not deposed as a trademark by anybody, not for boardgame, not for video game.

Those interested in the subject should read this very interesting thread on copyright and boardgames.

With that said, having tested your app, it worked perfectly and is really nice to play a quick game on the go, thanks a lot for your efforts.

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, not an android user, can't test it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Smitten
Austria
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Victor!

Thanks for your work
I´ve tested the app and I have to say I am a fan of Spyfall.

The problem is the same as on other hidden role games: When information reaches the wrong person, the game is ruined. So when it happens that I press the wrong button, doesn´t matter because I want to cheat or my Sausage-fingers hits the wrong button, the game is over. Even more bad, when the guy is cheating.

I´ve seen a good solution for this problem, but I cannot remember in which app it was:

After you hit the start button a name appears on the screen. You give the device to the player. He has to tap and hold two buttons for 3 seconds. When he has read all information he taps close, and the next name appears on the screen. Until the last one has seen his role.
When the last player hits the close button you could either use a Countdown to start the game, or just let a Start Button appear.

Also a suggestion from me: I like that everyone can use the app to see the location list. It would be easier when I could see all locations on one site, so i don´t have to scroll. In two rows for example. So everyone could use his own device to see the locations.

BUT well done
Thank you.

Best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
asd asd
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with the statement above. Would be nice to see ALL the locations at the same time.

To solve this you don't need to change the existing list, instead add a new section for this. (or i can write them down on a piece of paper ofc... Or even many pieces of paper so all players get one). Not a big issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kuo
msg tools
Hey guys, sorry for being inactive recently.

I have read all of the feedback and have decided that the next update will have a better role reveal to each player to avoid the wrong info from leaking, as well as a more optimised location display.

I originally wanted the current scroll view because you could click it and reveal the individual roles, do you guys think it's necessary to see each role? Or would you rather be able to see all locations on one screen?

As for the role reveal I have a plan coming along.

Hopefully when school exams finish I can get back to this soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tomlinson
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pkvk9122 wrote:
Hey guys, sorry for being inactive recently.

I have read all of the feedback and have decided that the next update will have a better role reveal to each player to avoid the wrong info from leaking, as well as a more optimised location display.

I originally wanted the current scroll view because you could click it and reveal the individual roles, do you guys think it's necessary to see each role? Or would you rather be able to see all locations on one screen?

As for the role reveal I have a plan coming along.

Hopefully when school exams finish I can get back to this soon!

Hi Victor,

Are you still planning on updating this app?

I like the way the webapp works when discovering place/roles - each player can only be revealed once. That way, you know no one else has looked at your place/role.

Will you be introducing other languages?

Thanks for your work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.