Subject: Scene from a suburban mall rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
While Christmas shopping yesterday in a suburban mall, I was pleasantly surprised to come across a kiosk selling games, which included these:

Settlers of Catan
Ingenious
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne

Of course, they also had every version of Scene It? known to man. But it was nice to see all of them sharing shelf space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was shocked to see one with Settlers, Tsuro, Shear Panic, Carcassonne, and Transamerica. They also had pretty much the whole gamut of Settlers expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one like that in the mall here in Burbank, CA, as well. Quite promising!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig J
United States
East Hampton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crystal Mall in Waterford, CT, also had a similar game kiosk. It carried a large assortment of titles from Mayfair, Fantasy Flight, etc... All games were full MSRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...I noticed Settlers in a kiosk in Waco, Texas...then at the Willowbrook Mall found Ticket To Ride, Carcassonne, Bootleggers, and even Deflexion (not Khet!).
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh "Der Spieler" Spillers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a similar kiosk in a mall in Bossier City, Louisiana. I am pretty sure the company was called Go! The Game Store (http://www.calendarclub.com/stores/go.htm).

I was pretty impressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goewert
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
While Christmas shopping yesterday in a suburban mall, I was pleasantly surprised to come across a kiosk selling games, which included these:

Settlers of Catan
Ingenious
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne

Of course, they also had every version of Scene It? known to man. But it was nice to see all of them sharing shelf space.

It's not odd really, all of those games are pretty much considered gateway games as well as the first sets of popular cross-overs to the mass market. Though, I'm glad there are more and more cross-overs and stores selling them as many people who come into my store think that they are inferior games because Walmart doesn't sell them.

One of the puzzle stores at a mall that I am not at has 90% puzzles, then a set of games that includes the above and a few more mainstreamers like World of Warcraft and Al Hambra. I'm pretty sure that they bought a bunch of the National Game Week retailer packs because their inventory is dead on the ones available.

wrote:
I saw a similar kiosk in a mall in Bossier City, Louisiana. I am pretty sure the company was called Go! The Game Store (http://www.calendarclub.com/stores/go.htm).

I was pretty impressed.

Yeah, Go! Games is a franchise seasonal store like the calendar stores that pop-up in mall slot in some cash register jokey and go at it. It's a good place to get the awareness of those games out and a decent place to point your relatives to for XMas presents. Someone would pop in a store in a mall I am in every Xmas. I never met the owner because they were never there. They didn't do too well last year as their employees had no clue about what they were selling and whoever bought inventory for them must have came by my store and stocked up on games that we had a ton of as well. They must have done it when we were low on inventory and only had a lot of crap because in their stock was 30 copies of Countdown! We had 6 thinking it would be a good game when it came out.... and still had every copy that we ordered. They must have thought "This must be a great game if they have that many. Let's get a ton." Also, some of our customers went down there and bothered them by asking questions on how games played, like Carcassonne. that they couldn't answer. They aren't back this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.