Subject: Demon Lord - Epic Foe Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fran Thorne
msg tools
Hi all,

I'm a little confused about the Demon Lord special ability

Enfeeblement - The attacking Hero is reduced to 1 Health

This will reduce the attacking hero to 1HP but wont stop them attacking the Demon with there action points ?

I've seen reference in other posted threads to having to use HP to attack the Demon Lord but i cant find that in the rules book anywhere

So have been just playing the normal fight rule ( use AP's to fight) for all epic foe's

Great game

Many thanks
Francis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each turn, a player can spend 1 Health Point to gain an additional Action Point. (This only is only allowed if you've already spent 3 AP -- see the bold section at the bottom of page 7 of the rulebook.) Using HP to gain AP can be a great help for defeating the Epic Foe, dealing 4 damage in a turn instead of 3.

However, the Demon Lord won't let you do that more than once because doing so will reduce you to 0 HP. If you do use HP for AP against the Demon Lord, you won't be able to Fight at all on your next turn because you can't Fight at 0 HP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Thorne
msg tools
Makes sense so the ability is limiting you to three attacks per turn instead of four ? Doesnt really seem that damaging as playing with 2 players + 2 group ally cards thats 12 / 14 actoins per round. Hopefully enough to kill the epic foe.

Love the game me and my daughter have been playing every day this summer holiday has really fuelled her imagination :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frant101 wrote:
Makes sense so the ability is limiting you to three attacks per turn instead of four ?

Sort of. Against the Demon Lord, if you Fight for 4, you'll be forced back to the Capitol City on your next turn because you'll be at 0 HP.

frant101 wrote:
Doesnt really seem that damaging as playing with 2 players + 2 group ally cards thats 12 / 14 actoins per round. Hopefully enough to kill the epic foe.

Against the Demon Lord, it all depends on what is going on in the Turn Deck. If you Fight the Demon Lord and there are a lot of Ruins Horde cards, you'll be dropped to 1 HP and then you may be in trouble for Defending the Ruins.

And if there aren't many Ruins cards in the Horde Deck, you probably won't be in the Ruins when the Demon Lord appears, so you'll be spending AP to move, leaving the other Regions open and also lowering your HP, which could cause you some problems, depending on the Horde and Dire Enemy cards. (Of course, this is often true of any Epic Foe.)

All that being said, I do feel that the Demon Lord is one of the easier Epic Foes, on par IMO with The Ancient and the Dragon.

frant101 wrote:
Love the game me and my daughter have been playing every day this summer holiday has really fuelled her imagination :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frant101 wrote:

I've seen reference in other posted threads to having to use HP to attack the Demon Lord but i cant find that in the rules book anywhere

This was the ability of the Demon Lord in the original PnP version (you could only use HP to fight it).

martidem wrote:
frant101 wrote:
Makes sense so the ability is limiting you to three attacks per turn instead of four ?

Sort of. Against the Demon Lord, if you Fight for 4, you'll be forced back to the Capitol City on your next turn because you'll be at 0 HP.

Except that you can't sacrifice your last HP and use it to fight, so you can still only fight for 3. You can get the 4th AP to move somewhere if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
martidem wrote:
frant101 wrote:

Except that you can't sacrifice your last HP and use it to fight, so you can still only fight for 3. You can get the 4th AP to move somewhere if you want.

Very true. My mistake. Stupid math!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.