Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently moved to Canada, and ended up buying three of the more popular shelving solutions for board games from IKEA.

I decided to do a comparison video while the shelves were still bare to help you make your shelving decisions in the stylings of Board Games with Scott.

You can enjoy the video here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/74201/scott-nicholson/board-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
www.imgur.com/a/wh454

Expedit/Kallax fan here.

I have the 4x4 with some Drona boxes. They look tidier but you have to remember what's where. They're particularly good for the smaller games because it stops them falling out the back. A few of the bigger ones stick out but I put them on top or by the wall so they're not in the way.

I also have a zig zag thing that's great for the large square boxes, fits nine of them.

And a 2x2 Expedit with some cabinet bits that again are good for storing odds and ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a big fan of Expedit/Kallax, but I'm starting to see the logic of something like the Besta shelves (Need to put my copy of Roads & Boats somewhere ).

Thanks for doing the video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far my games are in two BILLY shelves; one of which is a deeper size (~14") than the other (~10"), so the longer games can fit in there.

As Scott noted in the video, the standard square boxes (Ticket to Ride) stick out just a bit in the 10" deep BILLY. I actually like this, as it makes pulling a game off the shelf easy. For that reason, and for uniformity (aesthetics) I even have my standard Euro boxes (Agricola) stick out as well, although they need not stick out.

This video is a nice supplement to the DT guild thread:

KALLAX vs EXPEDIT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott for taking the time to put the video together. I have been trying to figure out which shelves to get for my office and this helped out a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.