Ben Friedberg
United States
claypool
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, towards the end of many of our games, both players have been unable to FIT any of the three available pieces in their quilt, leading to a LOT of empty spaces. This is understandable but ending the game with four or five 'passing' turns for the players kinda goes 'thud'... My proposed variant is that if BOTH players pass due to not fitting a piece on the quilt, remove those three pieces from the loop of patches and then continue. Does this sound reasonable or does it improperly reward players for sub-optimal play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a reasonable variant, but I do think that you're solving a 'problem' that could also be fixed by just playing better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
claypool
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that there could probably be better play, but if you have a lot of big pieces in a clump, chances are pretty high that you'll end up hitting that clump on the second time around the loop without many large spaces left on your quilt..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what planning ahead is for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benfriedberg1981 wrote:
Does this sound reasonable or does it improperly reward players for sub-optimal play?

I think it needlessly rewards players for sub-optimal play.

I don't recall having the situation you describe come up in our 10 (so far) games. As far as I recall, always at least one player was able to take one of the 3 available pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
benfriedberg1981 wrote:
Does this sound reasonable or does it improperly reward players for sub-optimal play?

I think it needlessly rewards players for sub-optimal play.

I don't recall having the situation you describe come up in our 10 (so far) games. As far as I recall, always at least one player was able to take one of the 3 available pieces.

I have had the situation come up a couple of times in my 15 plays, but only very close to the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I've certainly had the situation come up, but I don't see it as a problem. What's the difference between a final score of 32 to 27 and -3 to -15?

And I agree with Martin. With experience, the problem comes up infrequently and only by the design of one of the players (in which case the score is often more like 15 to -20).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start in the corners... arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benfriedberg1981 wrote:
So, towards the end of many of our games, both players have been unable to FIT any of the three available pieces in their quilt, leading to a LOT of empty spaces. This is understandable but ending the game with four or five 'passing' turns for the players kinda goes 'thud'... My proposed variant is that if BOTH players pass due to not fitting a piece on the quilt, remove those three pieces from the loop of patches and then continue. Does this sound reasonable or does it improperly reward players for sub-optimal play?

Alternatively, just end the game. And call it a fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Rouse
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had about 20+ game plays and I've never encountered this issue. I've always started in the corners and never had an issue fitting a piece until my final turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Maire
Canada
flag msg tools
Ok then you are all smarter and better players than my GF and I as we've had this problem on our 1st game.

Then the 2nd game, we both got quickly stuck with not enough button to buy one of the next 3 pieces. And as we were both on the same spot, the game was over after only 3 or 4 pieces each ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisMaire wrote:
Ok then you are all smarter and better players than my GF and I as we've had this problem on our 1st game.

Then the 2nd game, we both got quickly stuck with not enough button to buy one of the next 3 pieces. And as we were both on the same spot, the game was over after only 3 or 4 pieces each ...

Sounds like you're playing wrong. Each time one of you couldn't afford a piece, you'd earn buttons for hopping over the other player. So soon enough, you would be able to afford one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisMaire wrote:

If you are on the same spot the person on top goes first. If s/he can't buy anything they would move one space in front of the bottom player and collect one button. If the other person can't afford anything they would move two space (into the space occupied by the first player and then to the space in front of that player) and collect two buttons. If you cross a button on the board you'd also collect for the number of buttons on your quilt. Eventually you'll have enough money to buy something.

Reread the rules or check out one of the gameplay videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Maire
Canada
flag msg tools
I sure will read the rules again indeed ... obviously we misunderstood something Thanks a lot for both of you for pointing that out !!

ok after watching one of the video , I think I see what we did wrong ... instead of moving in front of the other to get buttons, we stayed behind. that's why we got stuck so quickly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.