Alchemists» Forums » Variants

Subject: Boots of Speed for 2 players - too strong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emil Gruev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Hello, Geekers!

Do you thing boots of speed artifact card is very strong, and specially in 2 player variant?

I thing this card give the player who own it a very good upper hand. So much that it not fair for the other player/s and he/she will probably win the game because of it.

One of the options is to remove it from the game and not play with it at all. the other is to change the rule of it a little because the card is pretty broken itself and sometimes it changes the rules of the game drastic
- for example: on a debunk theory spot you can have only 2 action cubes so this means you can do it only twice per round with this card you can break the board print rule and do it 3 times.
Or on a publish Theory or Transmute spot you put 1 cube to do one action and if you use the boots there you use it again for 0 cubes instead of 2. This is 2 free action cubes every turn and above all you get to use them after you see everyone actions.

I will try on my next game to change the effect of this card.

1-st: you can`t use Boots of Speed on an action you used all of it`s spaces (ex. 3x debunk theory, take a forth ingredient or mix 3 potions on a student...)
2-nd: You can`t use boots of speed for 2 cube action space like Transmute and Publish a theory

If you use this rules the only way you can use it is for a free action space on a ingredient, debunk a theory or drink potions and it still give you 2 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boots of Speed is good, but not really for those reasons. Transmute is not that great even when it costs a single cube. Being able to do it twice doesn't make it that much more appealing. Publishing twice is possible but it can be tough to have enough knowledge and gold to do this often. And debunking three times seems like it would be very rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the first-period artifacts are very powerful, as to get them you need to forgo something else, especially experiments.

I feel the boots are stronger in a 4p game (+25% of actions), where you only have 4 cubes, than in 2p, where you have 6 (+16% of actions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider that Boots of Speed is going to be worth 6-12 action cubes over the course of the game. in practice, it's a little worse than just having free cubes since it only works if there is an action you want to do twice. I would say 8 cubes of value is a pretty generous estimate. Considering you had to pay a cube and 3 gold to buy it, and a gold is probably worth more than a cube, this seems kind of reasonable to me.

Think about the magic mortar, which saves an ingredient every time you mix. Theoretically, that saves you a cube you'd have otherwise spent to gather, so if you mix enough times this can easily overtake the boots in terms of cube value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason "J.T." Taylor
United States
North Highlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's OP. It's helpful to a certain degree but I still lost to my son who got the magical mortar early and was able to get more use out of that than my boots of speed. The Mortar allowed him to sell a lot of potions and get a lot of gold while I struggled to keep ingredients on the table.

In short, I think the other artifacts balance things out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.