Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
Has anyone heard if Ebay is going to fix how Wargames are listed and return it to the way it was before the "improvement to their site?" I know you can still find wargames on the site, the old way was much better IMHO, but it does appear that many, many people who have sold in the past have abandoned the site for selling wargames, other than resellers who own businesses and continue to ask for pretty jacked up prices. I do know this has been talked about before in a previous thread that I followed, I just wanted to see if anyone knows any more about what Ebay is doing.

Thank you for your time,
turks1966
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I seriously doubt eBay will "fix" anything. They've already made their database changes, and the relatively miniscule loss of sales to them simply won't matter. Sellers will adapt over time. They did similar things to model railroad listings. It's a bureaucracy at its best, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rose
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience suggests not. EBay (like Facebook & Apple) have just become another too big corporation. They don't give a toss what you think - they've reached critical mass so they're OK - the individual consumer has become irrelevant to them.
Protest if you will about people voting with their feet/wallets etc. and all that "free market" claptrap, but sadly I'm right - they're a de facto monopoly & you're stuck with them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
I had been selling on eBay pretty much constantly for the last 8-10 years but not any more. This is not because I stopped listing items...I persevered after the recent changes but the sales stopped. I cannot say if buyers couldn't find my stuff, if my last batch of stuff was junk or if there are fewer buyers bothering to visit eBay after the changes. I suspect it's mostly the first reason, buyers not being able to easily find my listings, as my "looks" were down by about 75% compared to what I am accustomed to. Whatever the case, I haven't made a single sale since the "improvements" were made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't bought/sold any wargames on ebay for at least 10 years now. BGG, consimworld, and the wargamers marketplace group on facebook is what I use and works just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
EBAY is pretty much dead to me now since the change. If I am looking for a specific item I will go there but that is about it and anymore it is pretty hard to find anything that isn't priced out of range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Taskforce 58 wrote:
and the wargamers marketplace group on facebook

Would you please post a link to this? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WargamersMarketplace/

There ya go, Mav.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought a few games since the changes but things are still very hard to find. I have not listed anything for sale and will use BGG when I can get my ass in gear. I'm not on Facebook so that options out. I am a member at Consimworld but - perhaps it's just my ineptitude - I find the site user-unfriendly. I have 2-300 duplicate unpunched wargames to go but keep putting off uploading them.soblue Ebay invited suggestions and I and several established sellers provided them but every single one was ignored so screw them - they can look elsewhere for their 10%!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Drool!

Quote:
2-300 duplicate unpunched wargames

List them here, I'm sure you would get a shedfull of takers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is always the back of the General magazine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough my listing on Ebay UK last week got the highest numbers of views I'd ever had (150+).

A lot of games are being offered at silly high prices and I think the numbers being offered are slightly down, but otherwise all ticketyboo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find EBay isn't that useful to me anyway. I'm in Canada so most listings are from the states, which costs me a lot more. There aren't as many Canadian listings. Most of what I see is too expensive for me, so I use ConsimWorld and Facebook instead. I've found some great deals there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try filtering the Traditional Board Games category by the "War" theme:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

You can further filter by contemporary or vintage manufacture.

However, any sort of categorization is only as good as those applying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt gonneau
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traditional Board Games + War yields about 1/4 to 1/5 the listings in both Auction and BIN as compared to our old War Board Game category.

Puts a real damper on casual wargame browsing and impulse buying for sure. The wallet is happy. For a challenge I try to fine tune non item specific search criteria to improve on results but still pull in well under 50% of what appears to be out there based on item specif searches.

Dark times for wargamers out there in eBay land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tincup2 wrote:
Traditional Board Games + War yields about 1/4 to 1/5 the listings in both Auction and BIN as compared to our old War Board Game category.

Puts a real damper on casual wargame browsing and impulse buying for sure. The wallet is happy. For a challenge I try to fine tune non item specific search criteria to improve on results but still pull in well under 50% of what appears to be out there based on item specif searches.

I can't say even once in my life I searched ebay to browse for anything. If I go there, I am looking for something specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom malmberg
United States
wheatridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that Ebay's ridiculous game listing mess continues. Are these the same idiots who were behind the "New Coke" fiasco years back?
I ran a few searches and of course, almost nothing matched. Searching for games by manufacturer resulted in different results from those listed under the war category. It really doesn't need to be made this difficult(as if anyone in Ebay land is listening or gives a damn).
I found a few interesting items at good prices which must make the sellers sick that they are getting so few bids. How long before they leave this crippled mess?
It's obvious that arrogance and stupidity are guiding these policies because they clearly aren't working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tom8malm wrote:
…those listed under the war category…

I'm not an eBay apologist, as I have made comments elsewhere here regarding my distaste for their seller rating policy, but having listed some items for sale by auction there recently, I know that the categories are applied to items by the seller. The site suggests some based on the entries in (I assume) the title and description fields, but you can change those at will, or not. So while eBay may have changed the categories that can be applied, by doing so they're just changing the labels people can apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United States
Huron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
tincup2 wrote:

I can't say even once in my life I searched ebay to browse for anything. If I go there, I am looking for something specific.

I had the opposite experience... when returning to the hobby I built the majority of my collection by browsing on eBay. And I miss it.

Got serious about owning games last fall, and took the advice of a fellow wargamer who hunted for bargains in eBayLand. Knowing the categories I was looking for, I saved searches and checked regularly; when I found a game potentially in my wheelhouse that I wasn't familiar with I'd hit BGG and do some research.

Back in the day (8 months ago!!) it was possible to get a feel for the market price and watch for low prices or neglected auctions, grabbing a game when the combination of personal interest and price hit the sweet spot. Got some real bargains, bought some rarities at prices I could live with, and never really felt I was getting overcharged.

For whatever reason, eBay doesn't have the same market flow it used to. There's clearly a lot less (findable) product, and I've had to completelyt rework my searches (Contemporary+ GMT games, etc). Not sure if there is less available product with relatively more potential buyers, but everything I've bid on quickly goes above my personal target.

So now I'm looking around BGG marketplace and hunting for trades, and I'm really missing the fun of browsing and finding something fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt gonneau
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here I browse on ebay all the time. It's like browsing a bookstore, checking out all the stuff at a hobby shop or wandering the aisles of a curio or antique store. There is so much out there no one can know it all and I'm always making new discoveries. So in addition to item specific searches I always browse categories of interest.

Browsing is a means of picking up items that don't make your 'short list' but if you happen to come across them at a very good price they can be worth it. And that's the kind of open-ended searching that's trickier now.

Over the years I picked up a lot of interesting games and gaming ephemera 'bottom feeding' on eBay. If you're persistent and [very] patient amazing deals come along even if a lot of stuff on eBay appears to be listed for very high BIN prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.