Hide
3 Posts

Catan: Explorers & Pirates» Forums » General

Subject: A few questions on rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Venables
msg tools
Bought this expansion recently and really like it, but as often happens with a new game there are a few things which are confusing us right now

1. Can you discover an island using an empty ship? Also do all explorations have to happen at the same time, or can you move+explore with one ship, then do the same with another (all on your turn).

2. It seems that ship's are also removed when using a settler to build a settlement on the coast, seems a little frustrating to lose the ship too . If so is this the only time a ship gets removed from the board (not when offloading crew, or just discovering etc)?

3.Setting up the starting neutral settlements in 2P rules seems a bit strange. What are the point of adding these neutral settlements? Could we maybe just use a slightly smaller starting island and not bother with those?

Liking the game though, sure it's even more fun with more than 2 players when we get a chance to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swfcdan wrote:
1. Can you discover an island using an empty ship? Also do all explorations have to happen at the same time, or can you move+explore with one ship, then do the same with another (all on your turn).

Yes you can discover an island with an empty ship. All explorations do not have to happen at the same time. I believe once you start moving a ship, you do need to complete the movement for that ship. Upon discovering a new hex, the movement for that ship ends. But, you can explore with a new ship.

swfcdan wrote:
2. It seems that ship's are also removed when using a settler to build a settlement on the coast, seems a little frustrating to lose the ship too . If so is this the only time a ship gets removed from the board (not when offloading crew, or just discovering etc)?

The other time they are removed is if you run out of ships. You can actually build more ships if you run out of ships, but you have to remove an existing one from the board. I like to call this "setting fire" to the ship.

swfcdan wrote:
3.Setting up the starting neutral settlements in 2P rules seems a bit strange. What are the point of adding these neutral settlements? Could we maybe just use a slightly smaller starting island and not bother with those?

If I had to guess, the point of having the neutral settlements is to force exploration. If neutral settlements were not there, the possibility exists that you could reside solely on the starting island. Not sure about this, though. I think your recommendation for variation has some possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swfcdan wrote:
seems a little frustrating to lose the ship too
I think the settler used the lumber from the ship to build the settlement and the wool cloth from the sails for other uses such as bedding. In real life this was common during colonization to cannibalize the ship for lumber and parts to build the first shelters. Faster than chopping trees and cutting boards not to mention the time consuming effort to make cloth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.