Subject: Campaign log rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you guys do with your Campaign Log when both B-17 and crew are destroyed (at the same time)? Do you start a new sheet for the new plane and crew with mission #1 or do you continue with the next mission on the old sheet?

-zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New sheet. If you play the rules as written, you'd better get used to it! Loss rates for planes and crew are notoriously overstated in this game (though to his credit, the designer admits this). Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast reply. Would this be the only time I would do this or when a new 17 enters play?

-zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My last campaign with the rules as written, the plane was washed out on the very first mission, but all crew walked away.
Landing roll 31 with a -3 for starboard landing gear damage and -1 for weather. Since the crew gets to go home after 25, I kept the same sheet and changed the bomber name entry on line 2 to Second Chance.

Edit: Eight of 10 perished on Mission 13 as the Second Chance spun in with a fuel tank fire. The Engineer and Radio Operator survived the out of control bail out and sat out the war in a Luftstalag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug1020 wrote:
New sheet. If you play the rules as written, you'd better get used to it! Loss rates for planes and crew are notoriously overstated in this game (though to his credit, the designer admits this). Good luck!

Since the issue has come up, I'll just put in a shameless plug for my variant here:

Beery's Historical B-17 Module

This module seeks, as its primary goal, to subtly rebalance the game so that it gives more historically accurate results without adding complexity to the game and while keeping to the designer's intent. I have spent many hours researching combat losses and calculating ways to accurately simulate such losses in the game, so for those who are concerned with this issue I'm confident that the variant will give the desired results while maintaining the feel of the standard game.

As secondary goals, I have graphically updated the game charts, as well as adding a little more player interaction to the rules.

For those who don't know me or my mods, I have spent the last 25 years producing what I call "realism mods" for historical themed computer games and historical themed boardgames. These mods have been critically acclaimed and some have even been featured in well known gaming magazines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I run another campaign, it will be with Mr. Cooper's module. My only reluctance to print the new tables was that the instrument format is heavy on the black toner/inkjet. Did I read somewhere there was a less ink-intensive version of the tables? Thanks for the effort you put into these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may have mentioned that I wanted to make a printer-friendly version of the charts, but I haven't got around to it yet. One method, if you have the ability, is to print a version of the image as a negative (i.e. with colors and shades inverted).

I'll see if I can find time this week to make such a version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I decided to do it right away. I've finished it and uploaded it - should be approved shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.